weekend Events

9:44 PM

May 5, 2008

Weekend Highlights. A few interesting things happened this weekend that are worth noting.


1) I turned 32. Both my Dad and Casey have a strange aversion to odd numbered years so they will be happy that 31 is out , and even numbered 32 is in.
2) Casey and I met a guy who lives in our apartment building the other day. We met him on our walk home and spent a total of 5 minutes with him. I have no idea what his name is and I’m sure he has no idea what my name is. Apparently though a 5 minute walk is enough of a relationship to justify the following. At about 11:45 the other night there was a knock on our door. I opened it to find, whatever his name is, standing there. He proceeded to tell me in very broken English that his roommate was getting married and he needed a place to stay. For some inexplicable reason he thought my extra bedroom would be the perfect place. I told him NO, my extra bedroom was not for rent and he absolutely could not move in. He proceeded to tell me it was ok, he just needs to stay for 2 weeks, and can he please come inside and look at the room. This guy is either a total moron or this was the worst attempt ever at casing a place for a robbery. I blocked the doorway, not even allowing him a peek inside the apartment, and told him NO several times until he left. Weird. The thing is, he seemed so naïve and awkward that I don’t really believe this was an attempt to case my apartment. I think this dude actually thought it would be appropriate to ask a total stranger if he could move in with them. If this had happened in the US I would have been considerably less pleasant but because it happened in a place where I always feel culturally awkward myself I closed the door feeling totally confused and feeling bad for the moron with no place to live.

) 3) The final noteworthy weekend event happened in Singapore. Casey and I took a bus to Singapore for the weekend and had an adventure at the border. This is how it should go down. The bus from KL stops at the Malaysian border. You exit the bus, go to the Malaysian custom’s office and the officials stamp your passport and you leave the country. Outside the building you get back on the bus which then crosses a bridge into Singapore. Here you get back off the bus, go to the Singapore custom’s office and the officials stamp your passport and you enter the country. Outside this building you get back on the bus which then takes you to the Singapore city center. This is what happened instead:

We got off the bus at the Malaysian border. We went into the custom’s office, got our passports stamped and officially exited the country. When we got outside the office we noticed the bus – with our luggage on it – had left without us. After a minor meltdown on my part, we caught other transport across the bridge. I am now freaking out and am on the phone to the bus company – good thing I have a cell phone and the bus receipt with the phone number on it. On the Singapore side we catch up to our bus. Now I was pissed, but I was prepared to stay calm, get my luggage, and catch a taxi the rest of the way. I breathed deeply, counted to 10 and was ready to be chill. This was all good and fine until the bus driver suggested that it was MY fault that he left without me. This ridiculous suggestion caused a complete meltdown. I still have some lingering physical limitations and although I have recovered a lot in the past 10 months I am still far from fighting shape. Despite this reality, the fact that I was at an international border crossing, and it was me, the idiot bus driver, and two armed customs officials I freaked. I went after the bus driver. The customs officials separated us and kept telling me “later, later”. I was pleased that he seemed to understand my anger. He simply wanted me to clear customs first and then fight the bus driver somewhere else where he wouldn’t have to deal with it. Good thing too – like I said, I am still far from fighting shape. Anyway, I cleared customs and decided to take a cab. It's always an adventure here in Malaysia.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Did you get your luggage?

    I don't think the moron was really strange for Malaysia. I recall that strangers moved into your apartment while you were in the hospital, right? I think that's just how they roll there.

    Ummm...how was Singapore once you got there? That sounds like a nice weekend trip.

    Congrats on reaching 32. I've been here a few months.

    Love,
    Sara

  2. ParentalUnits said...

    I read Ben's blog about his altercation in Singapore and I told his mom, "The good news is - Ben's BACK! The bad news is - Ben's BACK!" In a foreign country it seems that "Yes Sir", "No Sir" might be just the ticket.

  3. Jennifer said...

    Happy birthday, Ben! I know you've had a lot of great cultural experiences in Malaysia, but are you trying to add the rotan too before you leave? :)

    I was worried that was going to happen to us on our bus at the border when we came up from Singapore. Mainly because it didn't occur to me to remember what our bus looked like.

  4. Drew and Erin said...

    Benny,

    1. Happy birthday, my friend. 32?! Crazy.

    2. Relaaaaaax. Can´t believe you´re still pulling these stunts, like the time you got into a fistfight in the supermarket checkout line buying chips and drinks on the way to a Super Bowl Sunday party. Unbelievable, dude.

    3. Enjoy the rest of May. It´s the best month.

    Peace,
    Drew

  5. Anonymous said...

    Hey Ben And Casey, nice to know there are morons all over the world...I disagree with the attitude of all the previous comments, that bus driver was lucky. you gotta get angry and let it out or for one people will walk all over you and you will spend lots of money on therapists...now if you are still fuming about that chicken lip motherf#cker then you do need to Relax. But I defer to you cousin you were there you could tell whether that pus filled pimple on a fat monkey's ass deserved a nice big slice of Ben's Homemade Whupass pie,so I say good for you get it out and move on. I'll tell you I know I would of done the same thing after accidentally flattening two of his tires and shoving a potatoe or mango(whatever is handy)in his tailpipe (shuts your engine down). And then I would of forgot about it. Enjoy the village experience but watch out for that Bird Flu crap one reads about how big it is over there, mabye get some masks, and don't do the traditional Malay bird poop facial and after having lived next door to a rooster get some earplugs. All is well here my girls are fantastic and so is my boy, he is gonna be three this month,time is flying, when are you guys getting back to the States?
    Take care, have fun and keep posting we are all bored over here and really enjoy your posts, all of them. I do have to say and I am sure you will admit Drew and Erin's blog with all those majestic pictures is gaining on your blog. So more pictures, more contests(with prizes, and they should be winnable(sp)and keep on posting. Andyman

  6. Anonymous said...

    I found my brother's comment quite funny(the parental units)! This hot temper side must come from the Mckenzie side -- Your Uncle Mike (Leo to his friends who include many "mikes") is a legend in Barnesville! Seriously.

    I agree about the moron--it sounds fairly typical and in sync with your other experiences over there.

    As for the meltdown, I would say you've had one coming and justifiable for a long time. After all, you had a stroke at age 31 in a foreign country.

    Happy Belate 32nd Birthday!

    By the way, your cousin was a beautiful bride April 26th in San Antonio, Tx. She got a great husband too.

    Love--Aunt Beth

  7. Anonymous said...

    I truly believe you could've taken that bus driver, Ben. I have utter faith in your fighting abilities. And can't wait to get into a scrap the next time we see each other- haha.
    Sarah
    xo

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008