April 27, 2008
I can't tell you how many times over the past two weeks I have sat down to try to write a blog because 'dah lama saya tak tulis' (already a long time since I wrote) and have had nothing to say for myself. I don't know why. I don't think that our lives have been particularly boring these last few weeks. In fact, we have been pretty busy with work and play. My efforts at harrassing everyone I have ever met in Malaysia to help me with my research have been paying off and I have been running all over the city at all hours of the day for interviews. Many nights I don't get home until after 9PM because I had to stay for a late aerobics class in order to recruit another interviewee. While taking a break from stalking people, I have also been busy trying to spend as much time with friends as I can before moving in a couple of weeks. This means accepting all invites and sending out plenty myself. I can't say Ben has been too pleased with my open door policy but he has benefitted some, as Malays never enter a friend's house empty handed. With all this activity, you would think there would be some blog material but I have just not been able to find it. My creative mind is apparently on hiatus. Oh well, at this point Ben tells me anything is better than nothing so I have got to come up with something.
The something I came up with was a review of the past few weeks based on the pictures on our camera that I had forgotten about. I figure this will save me from having to write too much but still get everyone caught up on our recent activities, although I have to admit some of the pictures are pretty dated. Also, due to time constraints they are not in chronological order either.
Charity Walk
Last week, the National Stroke Association here in
Right out of the gates, Mr. Yap proved to be the one to beat as he quickly put distance between he and the rest of the pack (he was normal person fast and it was no fair to even Ben that he was in the race, Mr. Yap actually kept walking right past the finish line and who knows where he would have ended up if somebody did not call him back to the group). Close behind him was Ben and Mr. Sudhari, a 63 year old strokie who seemed especially determined to win the race. He stayed on Ben’s heels the whole circuit but Ben managed to put on the burners in the last few meters and secure second place!
Although Ben was a little disappointed to take 2nd place in a strokie race, we had a pretty fun day overall. Ben won some prizes and we were entertained by the Shanghia acrobats.
The Prime Minister
In the last post Ben posted a picture of me with a pretty big smile on my face but did not explain why. The smile was not simply the result of all the fun we were having at a local craft fair (though I have to admit it was lots of fun), we were actually goofing around trying to get a picture in front of none other than
An Indian Wedding
The best part of the day was the food. After the ceremony was over (actually even a little before it ended), they opened up this big cafeteria area to the guests. We just went in sat down at one of the long tables and placed in front of us was an empty banana leaf. Over the next half an hour, men with big buckets of curry and rice came around the room and piled our banana leaves high with all kinds of delicious food. Even better, we got to eat the mess with our hands. It was definitely my kind of wedding feast.
Bukit Tinggi
Bukit Tinggi is another of this built up tourist spots but it is developed to resemble a French Alps community with a castle and all. I think it is actually modeled on a true town. Its is a pretty pleasant escape, quiet, cool, and crisp fresh air. They also have Japanese gardens to wander in so it makes for a nice place to wander about and its only an hour from the city.
Well, that is it. We are off to









4 comments:
Good to hear from you. Ben's right---anything is better than nothing-and this was actually quite interesting. That's cool about Ben participating in the race. Are you sure the guy who won was really a strokie (I've not heard that term before). Glad to know you two are still having adventures and enjoying your time there. Love --Aunt Beth
Since you are Will Ferrell fans, "2nd place is the first loser!"
Is Ben really tall or are Malays really short?
It was so good to see a post - I was wondering if we would hear from you again before the move. I am anxious for you to experience the village - that's one I will really want to hear about.
Love,
Sara
Did you eat cake at the Indian Wedding? A friend of ours got married in India and the cake was horrible. Another friend went to an Indian wedding and said the same thing. It's not sweet (not even the icing) and then they fill it with rum? Which doesn't sound as bad as it apparantly is?
I know it has been way too long since I posted on your blog. I am going to make up for it now though. Between PT and getting ready for Spain and the dig I have been horribly lacking in the blog dept.
I have to say- Big, Big, Big kudos to Ben for the race. So amazing! I can hardly wait to see you two when I get back and I have booked off any time as soon as I return from Resolute to meet up and recount our crazy year and a half. By the way, that amount of time is soooo wrong. My stupid leg!
Sarah
xo
Post a Comment