Buckeyes

9:17 PM

Go Buckeyes,

The scarlet in the new blog template is not quite the scarlet of the scarlet and grey, but what can you do, we live in an imperfect world.

Malaysia is a hot, tropical country. It has never snowed here - Ever! In fact it has never even been remotely cool here. There have certainly never been reindeer, snowflakes, or sleigh rides. The idea of a heavily bearded man in a bulky, warm, fur lined coat wearing a hat is ridiculous. Malaysia is also a Muslim country. Islam, Hinduism, and Buddism are the three main religions. For all these reasons I did not expect to see much Christmas paraphenalia or hear much Christmas music. To my surprise, however, there is Christmas stuff everywhere. There is something odd about listening to jingle bells and staring at a fake snowman standing next to a fully suited santa claus while I constantly wipe sweat from my brow. All these wintery scenes have made me miss the seasons at home. I missed the Fall and now I am missing winter. I might be so bold as to say I even miss the Montreal winters. Today the spirit of the season grabbed me and I did some decorating. I will not be here for Christmas Day but I figured I shouls still decorate a little bit. I bought a 24" tree, strung some lights around the apartment, and bought a snowglobe. I don't care what anyone says, snowglobes are awesome!

I would love to share some pictures of the mini tree and lights but sadly my computer is broken and I am dependent on internet cafes and my current roommates. A few days ago the computer just broke. Aparently the harddrive and RAM are corrupted,shot, and need replaced. We are having the computer fixed and should have it back next week. Casey, fortunately, has all of her academic stuff backed up. I, unfortunately, do not have any of my stuff backed up. This includes all of my music and all of our pictures. The computer guy said that maybe he could salvage our files. We shall see.

Yesterday I went out in public without my cane. The past two weeks I have been practicing walking without it. I never use the cane in the apartment and Casey and I take walks every night without it. I have never, however, gone out in public without it. I still feel unstable and I still walk a bit like frankenstein but I need to ween myself off the cane. I use it in public places because it keeps people at bay. When they see the cane they give you some extra space and hold the elevator door. Without the cane though I am just another dude worth cutting off, bumping into, and pushing past. Keep in mind that this is Asia. There is no concept of a line here. People do not wait their turn and personal space doesn't exist. Bumping into people and pushing them out of the way is the norm. So how did it go? It sucked. I was crazy nervous and very wobbly. No falls though so Ben-1, crazy pushy Malaysians-0. Tomorrow I go for round 2.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    I'm really proud of you for fighting through the public without your cane. Keep moving forward! Love, Sara

  2. prograham said...

    Awwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah, S&G colors all the way! Poor Lousiana, they just love getting clobbered I guess since they want to take us on. As apparently good ol' Benny does too. Out without the cane. You never were much for caution. I'd love to be in that elevator cheering for you to make it - and put my hands up and grimace as if to say "ah too bad, but what can I do?" as the doors slowly close as you are just inching within reach of them.
    So in other news, last Thursday, my neighbor started playing his music again at 2am. I went down and very politely asked if he could shut the F**K up. He expectedly slammed the door in my face but I felt better as I went back to my apartment to go to sleep to his music. But then 10 minutes later he came to my door and proceeded to try to break it with a hammer, pounding the holy hell out of it and screaming at me. I called 911 but the cops didnt do anything, didnt even look at my door. So in the morning I went into the precinct and finally got cops to come. They looked at my door, knocked on his, and arrested him. I think the owners are evicting him but I might move to the Bronx in January because my friend wants to give me a super great deal on this HUGE 1bedroom up there. We shall see. Brad - 1 Neighbor - 0

  3. Anonymous said...

    Way to go Ben! You are gutsy, but then that was obvious from your "todlerhood." I vaguely remember you trying out Sara or Doug's tricycle down Grandma and Grandpa's steep driveway in Canton. Your mother may have covered her eyes---seems to me she did. I can't recall if you wiped out or not(I'm sure Sara's photographic memory will correct me if I'm wrong---please be gentle online with your mom, dear), but you definitely took a tricycle where tricycles aren't supposed to go! And alas you survived.
    I've known you since birth obviously and you seem to get great satisfaction out of pushing the envelope. I think God put a triple team of angels on you. That way if one is taking a coffee break and the second one is catching a quick nap, there is still one left to do whatever is necessary to keep you alive and capable of recovery! (Sara once told me that a friend told her that an angel was looking out for her the day she hit the tree because her spinal cord was kept connected by an eighth of an inch. My response was that the angel was obviously distracted because she/he should have stopped the car BEFORE it hit the tree! I now pray for a triple team of angels to protect her). I'm sure that sounds a bit strange to many, but hey being a bit different is a Hilliard trait. And of course I have no idea if angels drink coffee or take naps (joking here)!

    Speaking of Christmas, we put the tree up already. This is the earliest I've ever done it, but Mike may not get back up here until the Thursday before Christmas and I'm a total spaz at thinks like lights. The lights end up around me instead of the tree. It's Grandma and Grandpa's tree with grandma's ornaments on it. Grandpa gave it to Doug to put up when he bought his first house(after Grandma died). That way Grandpa could still see it. It eventually ended up at the place at the lake and now is gracing the newly painted with restored wood floors living room of this old, but still classy 1915 lady that I now call home now.

    Have I outwritten Andyman and prograham now? There tough to beat.

    By the way, congrats on the twins making it home Andy! It was great talking to you and finally meeting the man behing the blog name of Andyman. (We met at Grandma Mckenzie's memorial service----guess who we talked about?!!!!)

    Love you both---Aunt Beth

  4. Anonymous said...

    I still have not completely forgiven OSU for forcing me to endure hundreds of mindless Gator conversations last year. However, because you have had a fairly difficult year with the stroke, the rehab, mold, and now the wobbling, I feel that I should root for OSU for your sake. If they put in the same effort that you did to get to that tennis match, they should be the 41 to 14 winners this year.

    It looks like your snow globe here; we had 4 inches of snow last night.

  5. prograham said...

    I'm so confused... FloridaDad got 4 inches of snow? Cruel, ironic world. NYC has nothing but wind.

  6. Anonymous said...

    I realized that it was St. Clairsville, Ben, not Canton. I was seeing the driveway in St.C. but saying Canton. Sara remembers a big wheel. It was there and of course it did well on the hill, but the tricycle was there also and you took a spin on it.
    Pograham, you have a point---I was slow making the connection of 4 inches of snow in FL. What a bummer! In southeastern Ohio, we have about 3 inches and lots of ice under that snow, so we're on our 3rd snow day. That doesn't bode well for our end of the year date---when we've hit 3 of our 5 alloted days BEFORE January. However, this teacher is loving the break before Christmas.
    Obviously though, I'd rather write on this blog than grade papers!
    Aunt Beth

  7. Anonymous said...

    florida dad now lives in New Jersey

  8. Anonymous said...

    I was wondering--I hadn't seen anything in the papers about snow in Florida and I figured that would definitely make the news, so you had to be living elsewhere.

  9. Anonymous said...

    Benny Benny Benny! Lookin good dude
    -Bruiser

  10. prograham said...

    We go waterpark?

  11. prograham said...

    Mind if I play through?

  12. Anonymous said...

    I love the Christmas background! Merry Christmas, y'all - I don't care where you are! Love, Sara

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008