Hey, everyone. How is it going? I hope the fast approaching holiday season has everyone feeling happy and joyful not harried and crazy. We are doing our best to capture the spirit here, though its not easy with the absence of family and cold weather. Somehow palm trees and 90 degree weather do not scream Merry Christmas. No matter though, we do have our friends in town and lots of love and joy in our hearts so we won't be feeling like complete scrooges this holiday season.
So its true, Erin and Drew arrived late Wednesday evening and we are so happy to have them here. We are doing our best to show them what Malaysia is all about. So far we made them an all American breakfast of greasy eggs, bacon, hash browns, and coffee, dragged them to one of the biggest and busiest megamalls in Kuala Lumpur, offered them giant messy burgers at Carl's Jr. for dinner, made some super cheesy homemade pizzas, went to an expat filled coconut reggae party at one of the high end condo buildings in the city, and downloaded the complete season 4 of Entourage for all of us to sit around and watch on the couch in our air-conditioned apartment. How about it! Today, they wanted to do some cultural stuff and explore the city so we sent them out on their own with a city map and a cellphone. We wished them good luck and promised to call them later to arrange a spot to meet before dinner. We're thinking that some place like Starbucks or Coffee Bean would be ideal.
Sadly, I am not joking. Of course, having just spent the past 5 weeks traveling on foot in Nepal, backpacks strapped to their backs 10-12 hours a day, eating the same vegetarian fare every meal, sleeping in a different low rent guest house each night, and getting into bed with their books by 8PM each evening, Drew and Erin's KL experience so far has been the exact jolt to the system they were looking for. Some all-American grub to fill their hungry bellies, some crazy commercialism to shake off the peace and tranquility of the Himalayas, and some good old-fashioned quality TV to mush up their minds after all that reading- it was just what the doctor ordered. Even after the most awesome, breathtaking, and memorable experiences, the most grateful and adaptable travelers can't help but crave a taste of home. I think, amazingly we have not only fed that need but overwhelmed it, in just few short days.
Its actually a sad revelation for Ben and I. It feels like we might have caught a mild form of expat fever living here in the center of KL, taking taxis everywhere, eating out at Western restaurants, and spending way too much money, while justifying it by translating it to USD. Despite our best efforts, we have been infected. It is easy to slip towards the comfort of what's normal, it's natural and no crime but still its nice to be awakened to how far we have slid.
That is one of the differences between travelers and expats, I guess. Travelers keep moving on so they never have a chance to really get too comfortable. They are also motivated to consistently seek out new experiences and see all there is to see since they only have a short time in each spot. Whereas those of us who stay awhile start to make the foreign place home, adapting to it but also molding it to fit our personal comfort zones. We start to seek out routine and forget to explore our surroundings. However, we also take for granted that what is now normal to us may not be so normal to our traveling friends. For instance, the megamalls or the crowds of traditionally dressed Malay women wearing head scarves intermingled with the scandalously clad trendsetting Chinese youth, who make even Ben blush, or early mornings in the park doing QiQong with a spontaneous crowd of local Malaysians.
This last one has actually become Ben and my favorite Saturday and Sunday morning activity. About a month ago, I rode my bike to the very large city park near our apartment to do some 'research'. By research I mean sitting and staring at, sometimes stalking, all the people out for early morning exercise. Someone said to me before I left you are going to be so fit after this experience. Ha, ha, I am finding I prefer to watch. Anyway, while wandering around the park, I stumbled upon a large group of men and women spread out across a field playing follow the leader with a small, very skinny old Chinese man. He said nothing just did his movements and the crowd followed. The best I could tell it looked like QiQong, a popular exercise here in Asia that consists of slow coordinated movements designed to get the Qi in your body moving (its a form of Tai Chi) but the truth is the more I watched, the more suspicious I got. It seemed like the instructor, taking advantage of his aged and wisened appearance, might have creatively taken communist cadre callesthetics infused them with a few fancy arm and hand movements and tricked the crowd into thinking he was an ancient QiQong master. Didn't bother me much though, it looked like fun and I joined in.
As it turns out, Simon (this is the name we have given the instructor due to the uncanny feeling that we are playing a silent form of Simon says) is there every Saturday and Sunday morning at 8AM and has been since the 1980s. He wears the same yellow shirt, blue workout pants, and big Jackie Onassis sunglasses every weekend. He never says a word. He just begins moving and everyone follows. The session last for about 45 minutes and then he stops. The crowd is great too. It usually starts with a handful of Malay women and keeps growing from there. On Sundays, a crowd of about 50-60 people gathers. All ages, both sexes, its great. And this past Saturday there was actually four Americans in the mix.
So I guess we are not all that insulated in our expat world. We just forget that what we deem as the mundane is not always that mundane. With Drew and Erin here, we are not only going to get the chance to see our experience through fresh eyes but also get to seek out some new adventures. It is going to be refreshing to get to live like travelers for a bit. In fact, we are heading out this morning on a long distance bus for the beach. Finally, the beach! Rain or shine, I cannot tell you how happy I am to be getting out of the city. I can't wait to sink my feet in the sand.Take care and be Merry! Oh and I placed a link to Drew and Erin's Travel Blog if your interested in vicariously taking an adventure around the world. Just be careful it is envy inducing!



7 comments:
That's awesome! I love the weekend routine and it sounds like a blast with Erin and Drew there! I really, really wish we could visit before you leave. Although, I have a feeling that you will be somewhere else really cool before too long after returning. You two don't stand still for long! Love, Sara
You have Carl's Jr.? I just stopped feeling sorry for your dinner woes.
Glad Erin and Drew are there with you, they look like dirty hippies such as yourselves (although I'm sure they clean up well too). Seriously, it must be nice to see familiar faces. Priscilla and I wish we could see yours.
I wouldn't worry too much about being expet or whatever the word is. The whole time I lived in California I never once saw the grand canyon or went further than three towns into Mexico. It's just what happens when you live somewhere - because as you said, your normal life becomes what used to be in your eyes an exotic one. It's kinda a form of relativity. See... if you move at the speed of light - are you standing still or is everyone else just in a hurry?
Um, merry christmas? :D
It looks like you are really enjoying your time with your friends. Very cool that they got to experience your informal weekend workout group. Nice celebrity photo with "Simon"! You should have given him you health survey.
Christmas in Malaysia sounds a little like Christmas in FL.
Merry Christmas, talk soon.
Finally found a computer- here in NJ. sounds like you two are quite busy. Your exercise "master" reminds of the guy in Eat,Pray Love! Cool fun! Christmas is getting close! today is Jamie's 26th birthday! If I don't get another chance on a computer Merry Christmas, Ben and Casey! We miss you! Love, Mom
Carls Jr, Starbucks and Coffee Bean; Illegally downloading stupid american television shows...what exactly are you guys doing in Malaysia because I forget...
We are getting packed and ready to leave tomorrow for NYC then on to Japan and see you in Singapore. It's beautiful here in the mountains of Colorado with 7 inches on new powdery snow and exquisitely blue skies. A picture perfect place, but we have all our summer clothing packed and can't wait to see you both. B, your mother obsesses about the packing and I obsess about getting to the airports early but we have made a conscious choice to just relax and 'let it be' for this trip. I am so looking forward to the extended Christmas break (one month) that I just may never want to go back to work All our friends and co-workers seem desperate to get us over there and then to report back all the news. Dad
Hey you two! Just talked to my brother and he was taking off for awhile so your mom could get ready "her way," which I guess bugs him as his way bugs her. Does that happen for all couples? Because it's the same somewhat for Mike and me.
I'm so excited for all of you! He sent me your itinerary and it sounds totally awesome! We both teared up a bit the other day when he was talking about the last time you, Ben, and he last saw each other. Will you be walking toward him with or without the cane? Either way it will be humongous compared to the wheelchair and a limp arm and hand.
You all will continue to be in my prayers.
Merry Christmas and a very Happy New year to you both.
Love-- Aunt Beth
PS----Remind them of the pkg I sent them for you (there's an old-fashioned letter in there for you, Ben just like we talked about).
They said you're taking the laptop, so hopefully you can keep some contact with all of us.
Post a Comment