Visiting Hours Open

7:41 PM

So just as soon as I am finally starting to get serious about my work, the fun begins and there is a good chance the research will end up over before it began. No, I did not plan it that way. I really do want to make something of my time here but somehow time is passing me by. Of course, I have had some important distractions the past few months and my priorities have shifted quite a bit but it has been 10 months! That's right 10 months! Can you believe it, I am still telling people it has been 6 months. Half because I don't want to admit to myself how long it has been already (this is especially true when it comes to the language, before when people would ask how long I had lived here and I answered a few months they would respond 'ah, pandai so good with the language' but now I say almost a year and no one seems too impressed, actually they are completely unimpressed) and half because most days I really do lose track of how long its been - just like I am losing track of the point of this post.

So why is it the research is over before it began? Because visiting season has begun and if people are true to their word there is potentially no end in sight. The season officially began with my Uncle Arnie's visit this week. He was in town on business and took Ben and I out to a nice dinner. It was a brief visit but Ben and I have decided that it marks the beginning of what we hope to be a busy friend, family and travel packed few months.
There will actually be a bit of a lull from now until Drew and Erin arrive the second week of December so I do have some time to cram but its hard to cram when you are working with Malaysian time. There is always a minimum two-three week lag with every endeavor and that is if you stay on top of things by sending several e-mails, making phone calls, showing up on people's doorsteps. Also, Malaysians are notorious for saying yes they can or will when they mean no I won't, go away, leave me alone. This is good and bad. It means that if you are a go-getter you can make them mean it, since they did say yes at some point they will have to sit down and talk to you. But if you are like me, it means you have just been rejected without ever hearing the word no. I am learning that anthropology is for pushy people and I am not a pushy person.

Which is all the more reason to be excited about visiting season. It will not only be great fun spending time with friends and family in new and exciting spots, it will give me an honest to goodness excuse to forget about my work for awhile. It seems silly. I am saying in one breath that I can't believe 10 months have flown by and I have got little to show for it and in the other I am saying hurry up people and get here because I want to keep putting off my research. Well, I am in Asia and here in Asia contradiction is the accepted norm. To say I like blue best in one breath and pink is my favorite in the next makes complete sense. Just ask Ben, everyday his therapists and people on the street tell him, "slowly, slowly Ben, be patient it takes time", and then "why are you still using your cane, why don't you walk more, you should try this exercise also", and today even, "you need to run", "but I can't even walk well", "so, you need to run its good for you but remember be patient, rest, don't work too hard"! Remember when in a goat's pen bleat. Well, bleat, bleat I want to work and I desperately want to avoid work.

More accurately, I am just wishing for a way that my work will get done in spite of me. I love talking to people and want to work really bad. I wake up early every day and hit the streets but I hate the rejection and spend half my days walking down the streets just mustering the courage to talk to someone. It sucks. It would be so much easier if someone would approach me, I would do a great job if things worked that way - "hey, whitey what are you doing here? Want to ask me some questions? I got lots of free time". Truthfully, I have found a couple of people that way and they are becoming great friends and reliable resources when I have nothing to do but I can't write a dissertation on two people. Or can I???

Oh well, the fact that visiting season has officially begun is a really exciting thing regardless of my progress. Traveling in SE Asia and seeing more of this part of the world is as important to me as my research (if not more so) and with every new visitor Ben and I get to explore some place new. We have gotten pretty sedentary and settled in our everyday life. As anyone who lives for a long time in some place cool will tell you, its often only when you have visitors that you are motivated to explore your surroundings and are reminded of why you sought this place out in the first place. So you all have an open invitation to come shake us out of our stupor. I am tired of reading about all the cool places just hours a way, I want to see them. I keep asking Ben who do you think the lucky person will be that gets to go to Bali with us. So who's it gonna be? No one's called it yet.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    oh girl, I sooooooo want to go to Bali! But, you know, with the awesome graduate student salary there's no chance in hell. But I want to! By the way, I'm still working away on my paper which is why I can't send it to you, it's a good 4 pages now I think... But if you do want a bibliography, I found a great one on the net that had a lot of medical anthropology reference that I completely ignored. I'm sorry to hear the state of your research, I'm guessing it provides a good amount of guilt everyday. Trust me, I know. Did I mention my paper is not done? Anyways... But you are human Casey, I personally didn't expect you to do any work with what happened to you guys. So truly, that you go out there and try, after taking such good care of Ben, feels a little to me like you are walking your 5k with a cane. You both impress me to no end!

  2. prograham said...

    This post is a taunt and you should be ashamed of yourself. My pants are soaking because its raining so hard here and my umbrella apparently is only good for my head.

    And let me ask you this... how can you possibly be timid of people shorter than you? I say just pick them up by their shirt and use the good ol' American "waterboard" technique if they won't talk.

  3. Anonymous said...

    I have wanted to go to Bali for so long it is crazy!!!! But, even if I don't make the visitor list for this year I do need your address. Candy corn is on the way out, but there are a lot of sweet Christmas candies ready to be sent...

    By the way, are you still living in the moldy place?

  4. Anonymous said...

    Hey Casey, may I make a recommendation...hang out at a busy place with lots of people going by and have a list of say ten questions that are thoughtful, interesting and will evoke a response from most Malays, every culture has some things on which they have an opinion... it is key that the answers to these questions will be vital to your dissertation (sp) you can probably fill out alot yourself in two hours of on the street interviews, then make up a huge stack of these questionaires with ample writing room hand them out to your friends, schools, etc. and tell them you will pay (some nominal amount) for each one returned and completed. Example question, What customs from the past in your family do you treasure and try to folow and why ? I would make sure they could not be considered in the least subversive or radical. Title possibly... Do Malaysian's care about their customs from the past and what does that portend or bode for their future ?
    Or When yes means no, social graces in Malaysian culture keep things polite but perplexing. OK just trying to help it is so easy to comment sitting outside of a box then when you are in it. Back to the point of you post don't you know nobody ever expects anybody to get any actual work done when they are in another country it interfere's with ones soaking up the local culture(or local beer) the key is to find an easy and fun way to collect the data you need while there so when you get back to the States you can get to work.
    Interesting idea how about dressing Ben up again as the big yellow weinerdog and have him hang out on a busy street corner asking people where a dog can find a cold can of Stroh's in this town(old beer commercial) cause he is really thirsty and record the responses. Drinking and dogs in conflict with the politeness of the Malays could be interesting possible title...Big, Yellow and Thirsty...My experiences as a big ,yellow, weinerdog trying to find a cold beer on a busy street in bustling Islamic Kuala Lampur,(sp) Malaysia. On a serious note...my girls are home and all are happy and healthy. Enjoy the rest of your stay and Ben walking the race Was impressive but please remember what pointless exercising (you already were skinny and in shape)unlike me got you. As that eighty song goes... Relax, don't do it, let everbody else run.
    Later guys. Andyman

  5. Anonymous said...

    Casey - you have been blessed with the good old shy disease that runs in our family. Don't worry you have a bunch of cousins, and several aunts and uncles in the US who can feel your pain. I have to say the pink/purple color combo hurts my eyes. Hopefully, it is the one that sends Ben over the edge. Take Care!! - Stephanie

  6. Anonymous said...

    Duck hunting season just opened here in N.J. and it seems to coincide with "visiting season" in Malaysia. This conflict plus work and trying to sell our house, and many other reasons will cause us to miss the winter visiting season. However when school ends and things have settled into place, you may have to take another break for a summer visiting season. Enjoy your friends and family, and find some places that you have to go back to, and we will try to join you this summer.

  7. Anonymous said...

    According to Rev. Run I have a really bad case of "myfundsarelow" so that is one of the reasons I will be missing the visiting season. The other two reasons you know very well...a whiney, little mama's boy named Wyatt and a tub-a-lub named Wren. Throwing Bali into the mix is tempting if not down right mean of you. I hope you enjoy all the great places you get to visit before your final, freak out, Casey-like cram session to get some bit of work done before coming home.

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008