Hello, all. Don't worry this is not going to be a long post. I just wanted to introduce you to our new housemates, Elizabeth and Paul.
Elizabeth is an American Fulbright grant recipient here to do her dissertation research in Sarawak. Paul is her British husband and reluctant companion here in Malaysia. He hates the heat and though he loves his wife, he is uncertain whether he will stay here much more than two weeks. Before moving to Sarawak Elizabeth is going to do a crash course in language at UKM so they needed a place to stay for just a short while. Knowing how difficult it is to find a place in Bangi, especially for a short time, we offered them our spare bedroom.
So far it has been nice. They are cool and interesting peeps. More importantly, they have no trouble speaking English so there is none of the awkwardness that characterized our relationship with our Korean friends. I think it will be a nice arrangement for a few weeks.
On another news front, Ben sold his motorcycle. Though his sales pitch consisted of the following, 'oh yeah, I guess I am trying to sell my motorcycle. I have not ridden it for like four months and it doesn't start, I have no idea what's wrong with it but you are welcome to look at it. You will probably have to push it to a shop though', someone went for it. The sale was likely a result of the fact that Ben's unenthusiastic salesmanship was matched by an equally unenthusiastic and indifferent approach to the price. Ben was originally asking for 4000RM but the guy offered 2500RM and he said no problem. Then when it proved that the problem with the bike was not simply a dead battery, the guy offered 2000RM and Ben said sure again. Its actually a huge relief to have it sold since it was only rusting in the garage below. However, there is always that one last catch. The very next morning after Ben sealed the deal, there was a message on his phone offering 3500RM for the bike! Isn't that the way the cookie always crumbles. Oh well, we are just happy that chore is off our list.
New Roomates
3:46 PM
2 comments:
What are you doing for Thanksgiving? I am guessing there is not actually Thanksgiving in Malaysia, so will you improvise?
We are becoming the Clampetts for Thanksgiving.
Love,
Sara
Did you move from the apartment that was supposedly making you sick Ben? Are you still in Kuala Lumpar? I guess I'm confused as to where exactly you live.
They look and sound like a nice couple. I hope it's a nice change for you.
How are your allergies, Ben?
Thinking of you each and every day.
Love---Aunt Beth
Post a Comment