
Today was the Kuala Lumpur Terry Fox Run. Terry Fox was a badass Canadian who ran across Canada raising money for cancer. He was an amputee, his right leg amputated at age 18 due to bone cancer. Terry Fox ran 3,339 miles in 143 days and raised millions of dollars. That is almost a marathon a day for 143 straight days. That is ridiculous!!! Every year there are Terry Fox runs all over the world raising money for cancer. 
The Kuala Lumpur Terry Fox Run is a 5k in the city's lake gardens . This is a very picturesque but hilly location. Casey and I showed up this morning, registered, and joined the thousands at the starting line. The last time I ran in Malaysia the outcome was decidedly negative so I opted to walk the "run" and I let the crowds go first. I move pretty well these days but I still use a cane and I am still quite slow. I walk on the treadmill in therapy but the longest I have gone is 1 kilometer at a 1 incline. I thought the Terry Fox Run would be a nice challenge, I wanted to support a worthwhile charity, one of my therapy cohorts challenged me to participate (Elizabeth: she walks a bit then goes a bit in her wheelchair, then walks a bit more, etc.), and I wanted a real world idea of my stamina and ability. I wanted to be realistic so I set 3k as my goal.
The first kilometer was all uphill. I was pretty wiped out and despite starting in front of at least 1,000 people I was now at the very back of the pack. This is a "fun run" and not a race and I was in no hurry and had nothing to prove. I never in my life though, thought that I would enter a race with old people and babies, and Lose. Tiny toddlers were passing me and that was the motivation I needed. It was ok to finish dead last, as long as I finished. I did finish: 5k in 1 hour 59 minutes and 56 seconds.
Note the fact that there is absolutely no one else in this picture. This is the finish line, this is where all the tents are set up, this is where all the volunteers and participants hang out.There is no one else in this picture because everyone else is long gone. They actually took the finish line down 5 minutes after this picture was taken. I watched volunteers take down the course markers and direction arrow signs before I even got to them. I guess I am that slow. Normally, finishing an event after the clean up crews have already done there thing and gone home would upset me. Today, however, I wasn't bothered. That cocky little five year old who passed me twice can have his victory. I avoided the crowds and even though everyone had already left the event, the ice cream man was still there waiting.
5k
6:49 PM
11 comments:
Ben, I am amazed you did this. The sheer fact you enrolled is amazing, given that I didn't and I have full use of all my limbs. So yeah, that 5 year old can have its victory, yours is the greatest I'm sure! Congrats!!! I think I now have to go for a walk, I feel like a lazy ass!
Ben,
I almost cried when I read this! You are amazing! Congratulations! You are a walking miracle!
Ben, you were the winner in the race that day! You make us all very proud of you. I am not sure I could handle all the change and hard work you have had to go thru in the last couple of months. I really do think of you as amazing! Keep on walking!!!!
Ben - We were so worried when you said you were doing this race - seemed like tempting fate. But as usual, we underestimated you and your resolve. It's 7 year old Ben on the 150 mile MS Bike Tour in Indiana all over again. There's just no quit in you. We are your biggest fans and wish we could have been there at the finish line to cheer you on (and get ice cream). Looking forward to seeing you walk towards us in the Singapore airport in just 7 short weeks. Love, your Mom and Dad
Congratulations! 5K is more than I've run in, oh... well, this isn't really about me, is it. Your victory picture is a classic. But, dude, what is the point of having that cane if you're not going to bitterly shake it at young whippersnappers and growl that, by god, they'll get their come-uppance? I think there was a missed opportunity here.
Hi guys,
it's been a while. We lost your blog address when Erica and I moved to Berlin some time ago. Today I mustered up some Ben-like determination and prowled the web til I found you again. We'll be back in Montreal just in time for the new year party scene. Congratulations on finishing the race, dude. A lesser man would have used the cane as a weapon against the people who passed you, regardless of size. Keep them news coming! Raul
You are amazing Ben! You are my true HERO!
Benny,
You're the man, boss! Nice work tackling this race. Definitely a pretty gutsy performance. Looking forward to tackling some more leisurely strolls in KL and beyond in a few weeks.
Drew
nice work, ben. it never matters how fast you finish a race, just that you try. glad you took on this challenge. and great work helping a charity. too...
gilbert
Ben, Sara told me I needed to check out your latest accomplishment. I've been lax at checking your blog---school has been all consuming it seems. Then I check and see your smiling face. Way to go nephew!!! What spirit and determination! I'm glad the ice cream was there for you though---ice cream is my treat for just about anything!
Love you both--Aunt Beth
Dude, that finish line picture. Omg, you are hilarious. I hear you've been getting pumped up during your workouts listening to the Chronic and thinking about the loop. Nice work mang. Keep up the good stuff.
Post a Comment