Even though Halloween is not really celebrated in Malaysia Ben and I were undeterred. Our good friend Z threw a big Halloween Party and gave us an excuse to go all out as usual.
This year our costumes were Malaysia inspired. We chose two icons of Malaysian popular culture and did our best to inventively recreate them. Based on the enthusiastic reception of our costumes by the security guards at our apartment, who I am sure thought we were crazy but clearly appreciated witnessing our crazy, and the unofficial best costume award given to Ben by all our fellow partygoers, I'd say we succeeded.
However, before I reveal to you who we were aiming to be, I had a little fun (actually, the process was no fun and way frustrating but anyway) with the pictures to provide you some clues. 



Any guesses as to who or what we were aiming to be? I would love to hear your ideas.
But if you are curious about what the heck Malaysians thought we were, here are links revealing our 'true' identity.
For Scary Stacy see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontianak_%28folklore%29
and for Big Yellow see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuGtjSQpmcc.
Happy Halloween! Eat candy corn until your teeth hurt and you feel sick!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
9:36 PM
9 comments:
Ok - ben is the telephone guy "Can you hear me now and you are the sicko that lives in the cemetary and hurts little kids. I loved the looks even if I am wrong!Do you have any candy corn Casey?
NO, no candy corn, very sad. You are right about Ben being the Malaysian version of the telephone guy. Did you follow the links?
I haven't followed the links, but I got the telephone guy. Is Casey the Malaysian version of the Grim Reaper? I need your new address (as long as you are still there). I'll send candy corn and gummy bears. Anything you need or want in a care package?
Love,
Sara
I think I was better off not reading the description of what Casey is - SCARY!! Ben looks like a teletubbie - was there a yellow one?? You both look great! Happy Halloween!!!! By the way - isn't it time for njmom to become ncmom?? Hi njmom - miss you.
Casey, I'm sure your costume was much better received than if you had gone as the boring national bird or even worse yet the national flower. You did scary very well. I think a teletubby was a very fair guess at Ben's costume. When you photoshoped Ben into the picture his costume looked GREAT! Whether it be by your super effort or the original Malaysian lack of effort his costume was spot on. Glad to see you guys had your usual Halloween fun. What did other people dress up as?
I think Casey is Rob Zombie.. http://rockmerchuniverse.com/images/robzombiehellbillysticker.jpg
and Ben is Ya-Ya!!!
http://trashi.blogia.com/upload/teletubbies.gif
Oh, wait, I looked at the links. Well, keep the costumes for when you get stateside again!
Oh, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love both of your costumes. From the photoshop stuff I figured Ben was from a telephone company ad, but following the link to the video I thought it was pretty funny that the guy seem to represent "the widest coverage" following you everywhere like a creep instead of just a representation of the phone. Anyways... as for Casey, boy did I love reading about the crazy lady zombie that eats babies! From your photoshoped picture with the babies around I thought it was either a zombie or Britney Spears. I'm really glad you guys got to celebrate Halloween!!! And Casey, I'll email soon I promise! Or Skype?
Casey,
You scared the shit out of me that's for sure. Visions of the 'ring' popped into my head. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight....
Ben,
Hilarious. I like your head adaptation the best!
So sad that we were not together this year. Maybe next year? You'll be back by then, no?
xo
I just went to the links and I was laughing so hard and the commercial. Ben really did it justice. I can not believe you chose something so freaky, casey. Reading the link gave me the chills let alone looking at you in the picture!! I have read Steph's comment and she is right I guess I am a NC mom although I will always be in NJ in my heart!! Never thought that I actually moved - hasn't hit me yet - just visiting for now!!!
Post a Comment