Call me crazy or superstitious or desperate but I am starting to think that maybe our return to the mundane on the blog and ban on stroke posts has led to some bad karma. I am actually starting to think a lot of things. I am starting to think that my not tending to the progress poster I made Ben in the hospital is causing problems, that I jinxed Ben by saying too many positive things too soon and that there is a strong possibility that someone is using some wicked voodoo on Ben. Actually, I am pretty convinced about the voodoo. If anyone has any ideas about who might be sticking pins into a tiny replica of Ben, let me know because there are plenty of witchdoctors here that can help me with that problem.
So as not to alarm you, let me be clear it is not the stroke that is stirring up all these crazy ideas. Ben is still doing great. Although the progress no longer feels as remarkable as before (to Ben anyway, I am still impressed with his recovery and constantly try to remind him of where he was just a week ago) and the patience is harder to sustain as the months march on, there is no doubt that he is still moving forward, getting better and stronger everyday. And with friends coming to town in December and our upcoming trip to Australia with his parents in January, there is lots to keep him motivated.
Unfortunately, Ben seems to be cursed. Having managed to accept that he had a stroke, that it sucks, that recovery is a long and uncomfortable process colored by inexplicable and often insanely distracting sensations (e.g. constant tingling and numbness in the leg, arm and the worst, the face. Imagine walking on a leg that is always asleep, you know that intense awful feeling when you first put weight on your foot once it has fallen asleep, try living with that constantly or feeling like there is water in your ear and all sounds on the left are muffled. There is always something.) without a single 'why me' or this 'it's not fair', he has finally been forced to throw his hands in the air and say 'come on, can't I get a break here'. What has brought him to this feeling of desperation you ask - ALLERGIES! That's right allergies, a constantly congested head, an inability to breath through his nose, and a relentless headache.
For a month now, Ben has sought relief in every way we can think of. He has tried traditional Malay treatments, prescription medicine, Chinese medicine, acupuncture, visiting an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor, buying an air purifier... You name it, we've tried it and still no relief. Ben suspects it is the mold that likely fills the walls of our entire apartment complex and the mattresses, pillows, sofa, and dining room chairs. If that is the case, the only solution is to move.
Nuts, right? How is the poor guy supposed to regain his energy and strength when he can't sleep, can't breath, is constantly wiped out by medications, and insanely uncomfortable! I bet I have got you all thinking crazy thoughts now. I mean seriously, WTF? Now I know I said we were not holding any pity parties but I am thinking that maybe we need a collective 'poor Ben' moment. Maybe not posting about Ben really has dimmed that white light I had him breathing, maybe it needs some recharging, I don't know, I really don't know. But it can't hurt. So start sending those well-wishing thoughts our way. You know, hope for Ben's runny nose to go away so he can get back to healing from that other little problem of his. I promise we are always sending the thoughts right back at you.
And so as not to sign off on a 'woe is me' note, how about a video update. He is definitely gonna be ready for the great barrier reef!
We live in a Muslim country, which means women clad in swimming wear like this are the norm. Scandalous, huh?
6 comments:
Love the music on the video!
People swim in those outfits?
Allergies suck - I would move. Seriously. I'm not kidding.
Ben - Really, your swimming is amazing! I am impressed and awed! Keep up the good work and we will keep sending prayers your way.
Love,
Sara
Hey Ben, your swimming looks really srong!!Casey, there was a time you would have begged for a swimsuit like theirs! Get rid of the mold or get out!
I know I have commented privately via e-mail with my two cents worth, but I want to go on public record in support of shartley and njmom and say, "Get the hell out of there." Love, Dad.
Joining the chorus: You should only put up with allergies if there's a cute furry animal at the root of them. Mold spores? Not cuddly, not worth it.
Shame to give up that pool though, bikini'd ladies or not.
It's a shame but it seems that moving may be your only option. I suggest breath right strips for some relief while sleeping. (they really work) I'll be happy to give a heartfelt "Poor Ben" and really mean it. If his luck turns around you guys are likely to win some mega lottery.
His swimming is very impressive!
If I had watched that video and not known that Ben had had a stroke- I would never have known. AMAZING!!!!!
Seriously, the progress Ben has made is miraculous. Is this all part of the CP plan?
Post a Comment