I know this is long overdue but I have been so busy living the Casey Path to Wellness And Recovery that I have not had time to write about it. You must understand, I have no time - the Casey Plan never stops. Physiotherapy has a beginning and an end, occupational therapy has a start time and a quit time, acupuncture begins and ends, Casey’s Plan started July 13th and there is no end in sight. Another important fact to note is that Casey’s Plan is all encompassing – every facet of every day somehow falls within its parameters. I open my eyes in the morning: granted Casey has filled up and placed by the bed a water bottle, she has also probably adjusted the AC, and I know she will soon be starting the coffee (more for her sake than mine as mornings are not my best time) but if she happens to be in the room the Casey Plan (CP) kicks in. “Why don’t you do a few stretches before you get up. You should probably do the arm and shoulder press your OT therapist showed you”. Within minutes of opening my eyes I am fully immersed in the CP. Please understand, I am not complaining. The CP has my best interests in mind, the CP works, there are many aspects of the CP that I enjoy but the CP is not simply a therapy it is a lifestyle – it is not for the faint of heart or the unmotivated, for if you choose to follow its guidelines you will live, breathe, eat, and sleep CP.
Due to the all encompassing nature of the CP, it would take volumes to fully explain. Casey may also be opening a clinic/commune where you can experience the CP; (the clinic/commune would be located on some island or in some forest and of course it would be free as long as you were willing to work in the organic vegetable garden or join her world resistance party- whose goal it is to make Bob Marley president of the world). For these reasons I cannot fully divulge the CP but I will highlight some of its aspects.
For those of us who know Casey well, we know that she is too smart for her own good. She is frustratingly intelligent, insatiably curious, annoyingly intuitive, and always on (by this I mean she never stops thinking, analyzing, researching). These qualities have gelled to make Casey an expert in several fields.
Casey is now an expert physiotherapist. It all started when she devised some new home exercises for me. She had been watching how I walk and had determined that I limped a certain way or swung my leg a certain way because certain muscles weren’t strong enough yet. She then devised exercises that would strengthen those muscles and made me do them. A week later my physiotherapist told me the same thing and asked me to do the same exercises Casey had made up. Casey of course just sat there smiling, with an “I told you so, aren’t I brilliant expression” on her face and I have not doubted her physio skills since. She now continues to come up with new exercises and stretches for me to do at home. Casey is also a tradition Chinese massage expert of which I am the lucky recipient. At least the CP is fair – new exercises but at least they are sometimes followed by a massage.
Casey is also an expert therapist (the head shrinking kind). I am not always in the best of spirits and there are days when I am a little less than thrilled about my situation. Casey is always there with comforting words. She seems to know exactly what I need to hear and she helps pick me up. This comes at a cost though – remember I am living the CP. Casey does make me feel better and she lifts my spirits but then the CP kicks in and she forces me to acknowledge how much progress I have made already and sometimes she makes me love my arm and leg. Yes, I, a grown man, have to show love to my busted arm and leg, I have even had to say it out loud. This is the CP folks.
We all know that Casey is a very smart girl, not just bright but gifted/you might even say “special”. I have been meditating lately. This was initially a requirement of the CP but I have since come to really enjoy it. I feel much better after I meditate, more centered and focused. I feel more relaxed, less stressed, happier. Meditation is a personal endeavor. When you are living the CP though it can sometimes be a group endeavor. There have been times when my expert yogi/guru wife has lead me in meditation where she has instructed me on how to breathe in and capture all the love and good wishes people have been sending me. I have breathed in the white light people. Rest assured, with my CP boss on the case, I am receiving all your warm fuzzy thoughts and I thank you.
Unfortunately I can only divulge a select few of the CP techniques and practices. I can, however, detail the requirements for a CP leader
· Physio/Occupational Therapist
· Psychologist/Counselor
· Certified Nurse/Caregiver
o The nursing aspect of the job is fortunately finished
o The caregiving aspect lasts a little longer. This is a very demanding and all encompassing job which includes but is in no way limited to the following; all the cleaning, cooking, shopping, errand running. I can only carry small, very light objects so if I need something, like my dinner plate brought to the table or the sink or a book brought from the bedroom to the living room I must rely on the caregiver. Just imagine living with someone who can’t carry anything themselves.
· Dietition
· Master Yogi
· Motivational Speaker
· Activity Planner
Yes, Casey is wonderful and I am a lucky man. There is no way I would be in the physical or emotional place I am without the CP. It trumps all other therapies. I would like to point out, however, that Casey is not a saint. A few examples.
Today I went swimming and did some water therapy. I entered the pool by caning my way up to the edge. Casey then pushed me into the pool taking way to much pleasure in doing so.
Sometimes my physiotherapist tosses balls to me. I can now sort of catch them and throw them back. She suggested we try this at home to work on coordination and motor skills. Apparently this means that Casey can chuck a ball at me at any time with any velocity. I may be watching tv or reading a book. I look up and what do you know, here comes a fastball right to the chest. There are four balls floating around the house and Casey insists that their presence is of paramount importance to the CP.
I have sensation issues. This means I don’t really feel well on my left side. This is getting better but slowly. I often don’t feel touch or pressure. My Occupational Therapist suggested we work on this at home by pressing different objects against my skin; ie. drag a fork, sponge, cloth, etc along my arm. Apparently this means Casey can pinch or hit me anytime. I’ll be sitting next to Casey on the couch when I notice a strange smile on her face, as she says "can you feel that". If I look down fast enough I’ll catch her pinching me. It doesn’t matter if I catch her in the act or not because the telltale pinch marks always give her away. I have been assured that this too is an integral part of the CP Program.
Finally on a few occasions Casey has told me she hopes I do not improve or recover much more. My arm motions are very deliberate and slow, sometimes they look robotic. Casey thinks it would be fun for all my new young nieces and nephews if they had an uncle they could call uncle “slow motion arm man” or uncle robot arm man”.
You be the judge but all in all I give the CP my full endorsement.
6 comments:
cp sounds effective, but annoying. probably just the way casey wants it. she gets to pick on you and blanket it under premise that it is improving you. she is a crafty one. keep up the good work, both of you...
- gilbert
Mary says;
I give Casey kudos. All the other therapies are great for the general issues, but it takes the intuitive and observant person to customize it to be the most beneficial for the individual. She will be doing you a favor in the long run, because she will notice when you are past the need of some of the lessons being taught to you, and wise enough to see when it is time to challange other aspects of your recovery. I understand her mind set and I would like to encourage her to carry on. One hour of therapy is good. Twelve hours is great.
Ben:
The CP sounds like it is quite exhausting, however you luck out that she has left out one of her obsessions as part of the CP plan. You luck out that reading the daily posts on PerezHilton and the like aren't included in your daily regiment, you know she could easily find some way to make you think that is important to your recovery as well...
Keep up the good work both of you.
Ben,
Sometimes we never know what we need until after everything is all said and done. You are very lucky that Casey does know and follows through on her instincts. You are so right in how smart she is and some times it can be annoying but other times it is just plain right! It is good to have her on your side because she is someone who just won't take no for an answer! (And that is a good thing!?!)
Of course all of Casey's family had to post on this because we have all been guinea pigs at some point or another for what now seems to be her all encompassing plan. The kids will really enjoy getting to aid in your therapy by throw things at you. I do hope that you regain proper control because Uncle Roboto may overshadow my awesome nickname Uncle can touch his brain through his nose.
That is awesome! Casey is awesome and Ben is awesome for recognizing it! We are still praying for you both which I am sure you realize when you breathe in the white light. Keep up the good and hard work both of you. A thank you so much for keeping this post updated. Love, Sara
Post a Comment