Enough about St. Ben already!

3:31 PM

I am kidding, of course. Ben rocks! I know he and his progress are what keep you all coming back for more so I will not deny you an update.

This past week Ben abandoned the grandpa four-footed walker in favor of the very cool, flamin' hot pimp cane, which allows him to move more swiftly, smoothly, and 'coolly'.


He also beat me in a one-armed, one-legged swimming race this weekend, accompanied me to the symphony, and is recovering now from a hard gym workout, where he spent an hour throwing up some 1 and 2 kilo weights.



In other words, it has been another great and promising week. We are getting good at rolling with the ups and downs and are still determined to make sure the ups out weigh the downs.

I do have a complaint though and it has to do with Ben's amazing appetite for bad movies. If you recall in Bangi, we did not have a TV or cable, we were reliant on pirated DVDs and downloaded TV shows for our entertainment. This was a pain sometimes and we often found ourselves anxiously waiting for days for a new episode of the Office or Scrubs to download but it is nothing compared to the torture I have had to endure over the past few weeks. As Ben hinted at in an earlier post, he will watch just about any movie beginning to end given the opportunity but I am not sure he did justice to his use of the word
any.

We get one crappy movie channel here, which once in awhile plays a gem but more often plays the worst of the worst American pop-culture has to offer and Ben can't help but indulge. So in the past three weeks he has watched and I have suffered through (I know you are thinking just leave the room but most often he finds these awful movies in bed just as we flip off the light to go to sleep - so there is no escape really, they haunt my dreams) an astounding array of terrible movies. Movies so terrible that I feel it necessary to out him so maybe we can help him to overcome this shameful and sleep depriving addiction. The following list is a factual and truthful account of the movies Ben has consumed over the past two weeks:

1) Into the Blue
(yes I know Jessica Alba's ass is incredible but... oh well, I won't even try. Maybe the ladies will understand)

2) Beauty Shop
(ha, see fellas hot women are not his excuse - Queen Latifah is the leading lady in this movie)

3) Princess Diaries 2
(I have to admit this was not terrible)

4) Ice Princess
(ever even heard of it?)

5) Too Fast, Too Furious

6) Roll Bounce
(starring lil bow wow as the roller skating ghetto kid whose dream is to win the local skate off and make his dead mother proud)

7) Saw 3
8) The Family Stone (this he got hooked on during dinner)
9) Herbie: Fully Loaded
(he had already seen it so he was able to shut it off halfway through)

10) Eight Below
(a cool movie because of the awesome dogs but want to point out that Paul Walker was in this as well - so was it Jessica Alba after all???)

And for a preview of this upcoming month, we have She's the Man (which I actually had to force him to turn of last night with the promise it would be aired again), Scary Movie 4, and Material Girls
to look forward to. So please send your help before it is too late for the both of us. He is already saying things like 'that list is not too embarrassing' and 'ohh Material Girls with the Duff sisters'.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    This made Robert feel better somehow, because 'everybody has their thing'...Thankfully, his thing is not bad movies, but it is having 13 magazines come to the house every month that never get read and get added to the next month. Whatever...
    Loved the pictures! You look great!
    Love,
    Sara

    PS - He is now counting the magazines that come each month. He is convinced it is not 13. It is, though.

  2. Anonymous said...

    Rented Talladaga Nights (that I know you have seen) and went to see Balls of Fury this week. Two high brow films that I truly enjoyed. So I have no room to criticize Ben with his limited selection of movies.

    And if you guys are serious about two limbed swimming races... I have a contender here in FL.

  3. Anonymous said...

    Into the Blue...Is that the one with Paul Walker too? If so, I saw it and I have to side with Ben on that one. You may find this funny, but my Dad made me watch it one time when I was in Mich. I think he has a secret 'man crush' on him- you know the kind- where if you were young again that is the kind of guy you would want to look like, etc. Anyhoo, I indulged him and found the movie at least entertaining.
    Saw 3 though- Ben you've got one morbid sense of movie genre- nasty!
    Oh, and the 8 below- not good. Real sled dogs are not pets- a gross interpretation of the facts. Trust me on this one- REAL sled dogs are chained up outside of town. They'd bite your face off before looking at you.
    I have all kinds of DVD's from Emilio that I could copy and send? I have to warn you now though- some of them are kind of racey.....

  4. Anonymous said...

    Okay Ben, Saw 1, 2, and 3---any of them are -----beyond words even for this Engish teacher. I can't imagine being a family member, especially a wife of someone sicko enough to write and produce that stuff. You're an English major for gosh sake---get yourself out of that particular genre!!!!

    That said, "The students' first day was today and I survived it well. Good to be back. I do have one extremely strange young man with anger issues and a general dislike of authority figures. Oh joy. He's the type you just hope doesn't decide to "blow you away." He's special ed.,but is to be mainstreamed(in regualar ed. classes where we all pretend he doesnt' have any mental, emmotional, and learning disabilites). I'm thinking he needs to be contained to one room for everyone's safety sake. So I will be documenting his comments, tirades, etc.

    Anyhow, good update. Nice cane Thanks for brightening our days!

    Love---Aunt Beth

  5. Anonymous said...

    That cane is PIMP, son. I'm currently bedazzling you a chalice to match. Bonus to having a cane? Casey can use it to reach over and shut off whatever ungodly Not-Another-Lame-Sequel Ben happens to be watching, all without ever leaving her chair!

    My brother currently gets 4 unwanted DVDs a month from some mail-order club because he keeps forgetting to send the "I'm Not Interested" reply cards back. Recent highlights include "Ghost Rider," "Premonition," and the ever-zany "Norbit." Maybe I can find a way to auto-forward these to you?

  6. Anonymous said...

    Hey - I actually kind of liked The Family Stone - Thanks for the pictures - you look great Ben. - Stephanie

  7. Anonymous said...

    Hi Ben and Casey! I am so sorry that I haven't sent anything to you before this. Today was the first time that I actually got to read your blog (except for some things that your mom gave me). You are truly amazing and so is your progress! We are all praying for you here. Hope that you have a great day and that you get better real soon! I really miss your mom - can't believe she doesn't live here anymore. We love you - Aunt Goober and Uncle Art

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008