Therapy part 2

3:34 PM

alright - therapy blog part 2 - I have neglected 2 of my 4 therapy routines and since these 2 routines are very crucial to the overall program I will detail them today.

Acupuncture Therapy:

This particular therapy requires the least effort on my part. I simply lie on a cot while the Dr. sticks very sharp needles into my head, face, arm, hand, and leg. She then connects a few of these needles to a machine using conductive clips. Once I am all wired up she turns the machine on and electricity starts shooting through the wires, through the needles, and through my body. The needles start to jump up and down, I feel totally strange and like an experiment gone wrong, and then 20-30 minutes later it stops, someone yanks out all the needles and I leave.


Surprisingly, this is quite tiring. I guess the electricity causes the muscles to constantly contract and release and this tricks them into thinking they have been working. Whatever the reason, I leave the sessions tired and with an exhausted leg. I have this done at a huge Chinese Hospital in KL. The hospital has 2 massive buildings right next to each other: one building is for western medicine, the other is for traditional Chinese medicine. The Traditional Chinese Hospital uses local practitioners as well as traditional doctors from China. All these doctors have gone through extensive training, often times the degree programs require just as much time and training as a western doctor. At this hospital there is also a pharmacy that dispenses traditional medicines - I am currently drinking the most wretched, disgusting, filth I have ever tasted twice a day. I am almost finished with my prescription and though I will continue with the acupuncture I am finished with the nasty traditional medicine - I expected some sort of tasty herbal tea not the contaminated soy sauce they gave me.

Does it work? I don't know. All I know is after I'm finished my whole body tingles and feels weird. Casey thinks this is because the nerves are waking up and I am beginning to feel my body again - I think it might be because I have just been basically electrocuted. Either way, some sensation is coming back. This is not always a good thing. The last two weeks the left side of my face has felt like it is waking up from a novacaine shot- I feel funny when I talk, drink, and eat, like half my face is not working. And, my arms and legs are beginning to feel like two giant lead weights. Some days I am tempted to ask the acupuncturist to reverse the whole thing, I was more comfortable when I did not 'feel' my left side. So is it working, I suppose, but getting better does not always mean feeling better.


Ha, well I am going to leave you all hanging again for Casey's Holistic Journey to Health Program. She has warned me that unless I am 'feeling the love' and writing about her efforts from the heart, instead of as a chore I am not allowed to post a word. Unfortunately, you may be waiting awhile folks because typing with one hand is always a chore.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Oh! I've really been wanting to hear about Casey's Plan for Wellness and Recovery! I hope you feel the love soon! Thank you for updating and sharing your progress. I have always wondered about acupuncture. That's not what I expected, though. However, I am really glad you are seeing progress, whatever the methods. Keep your good attitude and Casey - keep up the encouragement.

    Love,
    Sara

    PS - What was the Soy sauce medicine supposed to be doing for you?

  2. Drew and Erin said...

    Ben and Casey,

    I was offline for a bit while quitting my job and making my way east. I just got caught up on the blog and was psyched to see the videos, hear your voices, and understand where your're at in your recovery. It's amazing to me what you're going through. I could never have imagined in a million years. But you guys are tackling it head-on and progressing quickly. It's impressive. It will be a definining moment in your lives.

    On this end, Erin and I head out for the first leg of our journey (to St John) tomorrow. ETA to KL is 3.5 months. See you then.

    Drew

  3. andyman said...

    Looking good, cousin !
    Impressive blog typing with one hand has to be a bitch..hey I tried it here for a second and well you are right it is a bitch..but so is life sometimes and then you die..but you didn't this time and I am so glad for everyone involved that you remain around to be pricked, electrocuted and poisoned. You are fighting hard and accomplishing alot keep up the sarcastic wit... I know mine has carried me through a lot. One question though and be honest why did you start bathing yourself so quickly ? Didn't you get good sponge bathes (full release?) over there by some hottie Malay candystrip(p)ers/nurse? I for one would of milked that treatment for a long, long time.(pun intended).
    Sorry for being somewhat crude, I was going for some humor and I hope it did make you (Ben) smile but it actually made me wistful(for the hot malay candystriper not Ben) as I have a seriously pregnant and unhappy wife now that the girls are playing rock it and sock it in there and making her life miserable..hence mine also. I am not complaining for her task is much more ardous(sp)than mine. We are praying for November 15th (the best possible due date)babies all baked...so now it is just trying to keep Momma happy (impossible) and comfortable (impossible). Thank heavens Alex is such a good boy and he is certainly keeping the joy in our home plus Tucker(our dog). So hang in there Ben and Casey as we are rooting for you big time. Remember this too shall pass.
    P.s I personally think you are getting the best of both worlds with the traditional and nontraditional medical treatment, but seriously I would know what the hell they are making you drink I mean it could have all kinds of crap in it that could make your legs really hairy and other scary stuff.
    Ps.s. Seriously, post a picture of some Malay hottie nurse you are getting "treatment" from it will make my day and others cause you know all your guy friends have been thinkin it. I just can't be made to suffer anymore than I already am so therefore have nothing to lose so I am just asking...OK I will go to the boss...Casey, please allow Ben to be photographed with the best looking native currently giving him the "treatment" and I will forgive you for not bringing me back some fresh Yak butter from Mongolia. Thank you for your attention to this matter, Sincerely, Andy "Who better get home soon with some type of orange food such as cheddar cheese pringles or else" Take it easy and I am going to get something cheesy. Later

  4. Anonymous said...

    In an attempt to help you feel the love and keep the postings coming, I am typing my comment with one hand.

    The reason that you will make a full recovery and are amazing everyone, is that you regard typing with one hand as a chore and not all the incredible hard work you are putting in each day. To me typing with one hand is actually a chore, and I went back to using both hands after typing "amazing". Sorry.

    The longest word that you can type with just your right hand is lollipop. Check out http://www.customtyping.com/one-handed-typing.htm until you can type stewardesses the longest left handed only word.

  5. beth orr said...

    Glad for the update. I have mixed emotions about the acupuncture. I'm considering it for my fibromyalgia and back problems. I will wait and see what your opinion ends up being on this treatment. Do both arms and both legs feel like lead weights after treatment? I'm confused by your statement.
    How is the apartment working out? What's happening with your house?

    Also, I agree with FL dad---you are amazing.
    Love--Aunt Beth

  6. Ben and Casey said...

    A comment on comments:

    shartley - the contaminated soy sauce is supposed to be helpful somehow - I don't know how exactly because I have a serious communication problem with my acupuncturist(we don't understand each other at all) She may be treating me for constipation.

    andyman - you had me rollin' - the cruder the better. I will work on the pictures for you but to play it safe/cover my basses let me say that Casey is by far the hottest nurse I've had. Glad to hear Jen and the twins are doing well.

    Floridadad - lollipop ( nailed it)
    steredaqssscwert (I obviously still have some work to do)

    bethorr - the apartment is fantastic but we are only here until Oct 1st. We are looking for a permanent apartment here in KL because we have bailed on our lease in Bangi. We met our landlord the other day and he was very cool and is refunding our entire security deposit. I'll let you know on the acupuncture.

  7. Anonymous said...

    I laughed out loud at your attempt at stewardesses. Hell, I can't even spell it. Anyway, I really didn't believe you were typing with one hand. I assumed you were dictating to Casey. That makes your posts even more awesome. I can't imagine how long that takes. Thank you so much for making the effort and keeping us up to date.

    Love,
    Sara

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008