But I am not above bragging for him. Ben has a lot to boast about these days. For starters, one of his OT therapists told him that his progress is truly astounding. She said she has been doing this for 7 years and has not seen anyone recover so much so fast. She credited his determination and 'can do' attitude, saying Malaysians are lazy and could learn a thing or two from him. She also pointed him out to another patient as an example to follow. I think she may hire Ben to give motivational talks to all her patients. While this is awesome to hear, it is really just a vocal expression of what I see in all of his therapists eyes - pride. Though some are more reserved about saying it than others, they are all so proud and everyone in that rehabilitation center marvels at his progress. I even think that some therapists are jealous he is not their patient, no joke. I catch them staring longingly his way all the time.
As for just what that progress looks like. Well, Ben showers, dresses himself, and makes the long journey to the taxi and through the hospital on foot everyday. 
From zero to 3kg in a few weeks. Trust me it is more than impressive. And now drum roll please, the big feat of the week - He walked about the length of a football field yesterday without a cane or anything. It was so amazing. Before this I had only seen him take a few tentative steps on his own and so when I suggested he practice walking without his cane in physio I expected five steps tops. But Ben was determined to wow us all and he started strolling as if he had been doing it all his life (haha). The whole room was beaming! I was ecstatic! He was ecstatic and proud!

Everyday, I swear EVERYDAY, Ben amazes me. From the big feats like walking to the smaller ones like the increasing ease with which he accomplishes a task that was near impossible the day before or the increasing coordination and control of small individual and complex movements, he wows me all the time. If ever anyone deserved to brag or be bragged about it is Ben. He is truly killing it!

8 comments:
I want you two to know that I BRAGG about the both of you ALL the time. We have always known you two were awesome and special. I am heading out to play golf in the humidity and heat and I wish I had some of Ben's attitude so I could finally break 100.
Thank you Casey! That was wonderful to read and see! I am so anxious for news and posts like this one are so uplifting. I am sure that part of Ben's recovery is due to your strength and support and you should be bragged about, as well. Ben, of course, is probably only making all this progress to prove a point. It's the principal of the thing. If they say you can't be walking in 6 weeks, it's his job to prove them wrong. Whatever works! I'm kidding of course! I am proud of you Ben! And we are still praying for you daily.
Love,
Sara
Hey guys! These last few posts have been so great, filled with better news each day. I'm thrilled each time I see one of your blog updates pop up on my RSS feeds.
In honor of Ben's incredible progress (and in case there was any lingering doubt that I'm a stalker), I thought I'd do some real hard toiling of my own at work this morning, courtesy of ZingFu:
Diesel Ben
See what incredible art forms you inspire? Stay tuned for my candy-necklace sculpture of Stacey... Wishing you guys all the best from NY!
nice work, ben. keep up the good work. we are all very proud of you. and great job of supporting him, casey. thanks for the updates...
- gilbert
What a wonderful way to wrap up the week---reading about your progress, Ben! And the pictures are great. A big thanks to you, Casey for faithfully posting pictures and updates.
You two are an incredible inspiration to us all!
Love and prayers being sent your way.
Just as we start to get in a funk, one of your wonderful posts arrives - with insights, pictures, videos - and they make us smile, and burst with pride and awe over Ben's accomplishments and attitude, and glow in the warmth of Casey's steady, loving support. Six weeks ago today, Ben fell down on the track at Bangi and was paralyzed on his entire left side. Then a guardian angel (Casey)found him and made every right decision on an incredibly terrifying day, and has been at his side every step of the way. We've talked to the doctors and read the literature; we know that the stroke Ben had is often fatal, that most people don't recover function, and yet here is Incredible Ben, defying the odds, walking, lifting, moving his left side - - no wonder his therapists are amazed and proud. Folks - he is nothing short of a miracle. we can't explain it, we can only be grateful.
You are both incredible spirits that will not be held back. Ben's determination and committment to recovery are only matched by Casey's positive attitude and loving support. What a team!
Brag on!
Ben,
Just wanted to let you know I've been silently following the saga. You are most definitely the man. Certainly puts things in perspective.
I'm so glad that you are doing well. Keep it up man! You'll be chasing monkeys again in no time.
Go Vikes!
BJ
Post a Comment