1 Month Video Progress Report

7:14 PM

We took these videos today to send to Ben's parents and realized that since they were such perfect complements to the ones we posted almost a month ago, we might as well share them with everyone. So without further ado (and the fancy editing, sorry folks no time this go round) here is what Ben is up to these days.




As you can see he really has mastered his arm and shoulder movements. Now days it is a matter of building up strength, coordination, and most importantly fine motor skills in his fingers. The exercises he performs to improve these skills are not as obviously remarkable but impressive just the same - I am sitting in front of large picture of circles and lines Ben drew with his left hand. I am convinced when this all over, Ben will be pretty ambidextrous.


He still uses his cane for long walks but in therapy and around the house he is starting to rely on his own two feet. Though his gate is pretty smooth already this current pimp stroll will not last long as his therapists (myself included) are constantly tormenting him with a litany of reminders to achieve the perfect walk - plant your heel first, drop your hip, straighten your leg, bend your leg, don't swing your leg out, swing your arm, LOOK UP, LOOK UP. Who knew walking was such a complicated process, I would fall down from exhaustion just from trying to keep track of all the details.

Hope you are well. Ben wants me to promise that the next post will not be a Stroke Recovery post so tune in next time for some news of the mundane.

Casey

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Ooh...I love the mudane! But I also wait expectantly for these Stroke Recovery Posts. It is wonderful that you both are dedicated to keeping everyone up to date while you are so far away. I am sure it is time consuming and I really appreciate it.

    Love, Sara

  2. Anonymous said...

    I just had a chance to watch the videos - Awesome! The progress is amazing!

  3. rich pace said...

    love the pimp walk!!! Keep fightin Ben..We are all thinking of you guys.

  4. Anonymous said...

    Wow! I can't get over how much better Ben has gotten. Keep up the hard work- the end is just around the corner!

  5. Anonymous said...

    wow Ben looks like you are recovering very nicely. Excellent videos. I was going to insert something witty about these tests but I never know who is reading these comments. Anyways I am glad you have recovered because I was pretty frightened after this happened...

    Mick

  6. ParentalUnits said...

    This is your dad. I just got home at 9:30 pm and saw your video. I can't get it at work so just waited all day in anticipation. Wow!!! You are just the most incredible person. I am so proud of you. I sat mesmerized. Kudos to you.

  7. Anonymous said...

    Your progress since the last video is astounding.

    All of your therapies including Casey's loving/annoying CP are the tools in this reconstruction project. All these tools for one guy to do all the work, and man are you getting it done. Awesome is the right word. I can't wait to see the November video.

  8. Anonymous said...

    You two are great!!! Ben, you are truly a walking, talking, arm-lifting miracle!!!
    I was thrilled when I saw this video and amused with the previous entry on Casey's therapy---good job, Casey. However, as usual, I couldn't get Google to take my 4th resetted password. Finally, today I had the time to mess with Google again.
    A word of advice to other readers, if you are anonymous, stay that way--it was much easier when I was(and I'm not computer illiterate)!
    Love to you two---Aunt Beth

  9. Anonymous said...

    Teacher Aunt:

    I had the same problem many times with the google issue, and have stopped using it. I find it easiest to just click on the others tab and then type in your screen name "TeacherAunt" where it says name. It looks exactly the same as the google login except for the fact that your name is not a hyperlink to take others to your Blogger page. Saves a lot of wasted posts!! Hope it helps.

  10. Anonymous said...

    I do the same thing and from the looks of it, several other people are doing that, as well.

  11. Anonymous said...

    Thanks. That helps immensely!

  12. Anonymous said...

    I just now realized why my log-in name "teacheraunt" was in blue and so many others' were in black!
    Ben and Casey---See how much this blog is helping others! I had never "blogged" before. I feel like I've met all sorts of new people also.
    Since all sorts of folks read this, I'm requesting some help if you want to give it. I am spending the day with my 80-some yr. old aunt on Friday. She and her younger brother are the only two left of five--my mom was the third oldest (she's been gone 8 years). We just buried the second oldest (Uncle Harry) on Sat.
    I am going to video her(her health is not good) and ask lots of questions. Any suggestions? I have some specific ones concerning my mom and will compile a list all this week. If you feel like it, put out some ideas. If not, fine. Ben--it's Aunt Eleanor.

  13. Anonymous said...

    Keep it up Ben. You're spirit is what really is gratifying to watch. You two are amazing people to keep the upbeat demeanor through this all. Good work Case.
    Phaedrus says hi.

    Keep the faith.

  14. Anonymous said...

    Finally got the Flash re-did on this here Web machine and just saw those videos. Ben, your gestures at the start of the first video are so fluid that I didn't even realize that was your weaker hand! You are looking great, and your therapists (Casey included, of course!) are admirably stern. :D I can't wait for the promised mundane posts, we're dying to know what's in a Malaysian vending machine as well as your thoughts on Britney's #1 fan on Youtube.

  15. Drew and Erin said...

    Super-impressive, Benny. I just watched these videos, then the old ones, then these again. The difference is night and day. Incredible progress. At this rate, I'll line up some white water rafting and scuba diving for the visit in December. Casey - thanks for the videos.

    Drew

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008