The Sometimes Bitter Reality

5:48 PM

I am not trying for sympathy folks but my occupational therapy session today was the most depressing thing I have ever been through. My challenge: use two hands and stack one cup on top of another. Even with a therapist guiding my motions, it was freakin’ impossible. Stymied by this first challenge, they stepped it up a notch with some disturbing cognitive tests. The first brainteaser was arrange the following cards in order from smallest to biggest. After this doozy, I had to arrange a bunch of angles from widest to narrowest. These tests are clearly designed to see if I have gone stupid. The scary thing is I was actually not sure if I was correct until the therapist told me (he was correct 100% of the time by the way). I was honestly afraid my body and mind were trying to sabotage me.

I am pleased to report my leg is coming along a little more quickly though. To all you style conscience peeps out there I am the proud new owner of a top of the line purple titanium walking stick. As I get my pimp stroll on tomorrow I will have Casey take a picture. Man, you are all going to be jealous when you see how I’m rolling these days.

My boss just called and she is on the way to the hospital for a visit. So I am about to get my quit on and then I am busting out of the hospital for a fat steak dinner.

Hope you are well this Friday evening/morning, peace out.

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    First of all, lets get this out of the way - My cousin is awesome. Her family has always known this. Keep it up Casey!!! Now, Ben - I am so sorry that you have to go through this, but with all the support from your growing list of friends and family, you will surely come out stronger on the other side. Get well and stay stong - both of you. - Stephanie

  2. Anonymous said...

    Forget about the cups, let the therapist take a peek at the way you handle that steak. I'm betting you figure that one out. A purple pimped out walking stick to catch the eye of the "fancy" Maylaysian boys, and jobless again...Sven is returning.

  3. Anonymous said...

    Ben to think it wasn't too long ago that you were playing beer pong and flip cup with foreign dignataries, and now you need to concentrate to stack to cups. What a crazy world, but keep working on it, you need to be ready to make the USA proud at your next beer pong competition...

  4. andyman said...

    DAIN BRAMAGED...what do you expect cousin.. you had a stroke!..and you're lucky to be alive. Remember that when you start feeling frustrated.. at least you are able to play with cups and angles. God...luck..your wife hearing your call...your good shape..(I still plan on using you as my reason to not ever exercise by running..thanks for that)etc. all played a part in enabling you to still kiss your wife,mother and father Goodnight and tell them " I love you" How important is that to you and your loved ones..its Goddamn important just ask anyone who can't..So get off of yourself already... appreciate the fact that you are still here and realize Life is a roller coaster in that you CANNOT appreciate the highs if you do not have some lows. In my travels, I encountered a wonderful saying that I found has its place in almost all cultures except ours and it is literally " Slowly, Slowly." Most things are done better with less mistakes including one's life if you do it Slowly, Slowly,( Now running away from a pack of rabid and starving hyenas while one is wearing a stylish meatsuit consisting of bologna, bacon and head cheese should be done "Quickly, Quickly!") but for the most part the "Slowly, Slowly" philosophy leads to a better product and less stress on the producer. So in summation, give yourself a break from the sometimes bitter reality, don't be so hard on yourself and allow your progress,your therapy and your effort to proceed " Slowly, Slowly" and a added bonus of this philosophy is if you get better faster then you'll be pleasantly surprised. All the Best to you, your wife and your Mom and Dad. Ben, please as a favor to a far away cousin give everyone there a big hug for me and while your doing it savor the fact that you can. Andy

  5. Anonymous said...

    Ben, I know you are frustrated. I can't imagine. And, of course you are lucky to be alive, but I am sure you would feel luckier if you hadn't had a stroke. We are praying for you continually. Please let me know if you think of anything you would like from the States.

  6. Anonymous said...

    I just wanted to see if you guys would be able to get me tickets. I know you are a world away and are preoccupied with other things, obviously. It's just that I have been hearing a rumor about a race...I wanted to be sure I was front and center to see the smackdown. Ben I have money on you, so don't let me down;)

  7. Anonymous said...

    Curious - Is a steak good in Malaysia? The pictures you've posted in the past have not made Malaysia look like the place for 5-star dining...also, why is your walkng stick purple?

  8. Anonymous said...

    Glad to hear the parental units are taking you out for such things as steak. Take the utmost advantage of them at this time---hopefully you will never have an opportunity to do so again.
    About the purple cane, hmmm, guess you have some of Grandpa Roy in you. His "pimp mobile" as either you or Doug dubbed is still parked behind my house. It created a stir when I brought it home to this small town!
    I'm sure he would have liked your cane.
    Andyman has made some excellent points. I remember the summer you visited us for a week at Seneca Lake. We were used to taking it easy--- reading, swimming, boating, waterskiing,tubing, and just hanging out esp. at night around the fire ring. You wanted to know what the schedule was. I believe you then witnessed 4 mouths dropping. We were like---It's the lake---summers at the lake don't include schedules. I do believe you didn't know life existed without schedules and deadlines to meet!
    There are no deadlines in your recovery, Ben. Sure, my 2-yr-old grandson gets around better than you(I'm alluding to a comment in an earlier blog about getting rave approval for pointing your finger and standing up when a toddler could accomplish that much). However, you're not 2, you're 31 and relearning these skills will take time. The fact that you survived the stroke says a great deal about you and about the power of prayer. It's not a race so as Andyman said---Slowly, slowly.
    Love you.

  9. Anonymous said...

    i laughed out loud, benny. you're back, baby. thanks for keeping it light. glad to hear you're enjoying steak dinners, and i cannot wait to see your pimp stroll.

    drew

  10. auntmarilyn said...

    andy just showed me how to post on your blog - why should I be missing out giving you sarcastic comments and the like?? Now, you get to hear from the ELDEST
    Mckenzie daughter - you lucky, lucky boy!! We just powerwashed my walks and I am grubby so I will just say tell the parental units I am so glad they are there. You and Casey are hanging tight and that is so important. more later, survive, thrive, we're glad you're alive!!
    Love, xxoo, M

  11. prograham said...

    Dude. I don't even know what to say. Keep getting better? Stay positive? What other generic phrases devout of thought and meaning come to mind... have a great summer? I'm bummed. I'm very bummed for you. But no matter how this changes your life you'll always be Ben and I'll always be down for whatever.

    Casey I have some gems for you too: keep up the good work, don't stress too much, and yes, you too, have a great summer.

  12. Anonymous said...

    i don't know. stacking cups sounds a little suspicious. you sure those malaysians aren't just prepping you for their olympic team or something?

    http://www.worldsportstackingassociation.org/

    i actually found out about this sport last christmas. apparently it is a big deal with kids. i bet you will be the champ of all asian. seriously, though. as others have commented before me, be patient, young jedi. you have to start somewhere. i am sure those tests irritate the heck out of you, but take it in stride. we all know you are going to make a full recovery. you just have to show them. so yell at the therapist, stack those cups, and measure those angles all the way back to a full recovery... by the way, i love the idea of you with a pimp stick. i just keep laughing over that one...

    - gilbert

  13. Wicked Uncle Arnie said...

    Casey,

    By now, you know all about those cute, little Malaysian chicks. They love to dote over western guys... so I've been told.

    Better keep a keen eye on Big Ben and his new cane.

    Love,

    Your Wicked Uncle

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008