Hello. We apologize for our long absence. Crazy to think that it has been a whole week since we last blogged. Somehow time is both standing still and moving too fast for us to keep up. Today though this freakish ripple in time really worked to our advantage and time actually seemed to purposely stand still in order to allow Ben to take a giant leap forward. Just as Ben was starting to find it harder and harder to make peace with his non-responsive arm and hand, when fear was starting to replace hope for him, his arm sprung to life in a very real way.
One of the toughest struggles Ben has been facing this past week or so has been trusting that his arm would improve. His leg has been getting consistently stronger and more controlled. Indeed, his standing is getting more and more balanced, his walking steadier, and his therapist even had him balancing on his knees today reaching far-far to the left with his whole body (a huge feat in balance and strength) but his arm and hand have remained stubbornly immobile. Though there has always been slight movement in his arm, it has been inconsistent and sometimes even imperceivable. Of course, everyone from his schmutz of a doctor to the nurses on the ward have been asking him ‘how’s your hand, show me what you can do, hold this pen’ (we will get to Malaysian insensitivity in a bit), making Ben feel as if he should be healed by now or something. Needless to say, Ben was getting a bit demoralized and his relationship with his arm and hand was on the rocks. I could just hear him thinking ‘you stupid hand move or I will kill you, I will cut you off, you’re useless’ as arm exercises became more and more desperate for him. He was losing hope, patience, and track of how far he has come in such a short time. And then today happened.
Now to describe what he did may not bring tears to your eyes the way it did to Ben’s, Cindy’s, and mine (we were like a bunch of overly romantic single women at a wedding or in the audience of a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan film – yes, Ben included) so you’ll have to trust us that it was simply magnificent. It started with Ben lifting his arm from his shoulder out to his side and then pulling it all the way across his body, then letting out a deep breath, giant proud grin and with tears rolling down his face, saying ‘that was awesome, did you see that’. It was awesome, we could not believe it. Then he went to OT and killed it there also making a fist and straightening his fingers (probably the hardest task to accomplish) like it was his job. Then he showed off for his mom when she arrived and again in PT, where he not only wowed his therapist with all the strength in his arm but his legs as well. Seriously, it was a big day for us. Ben must have said this is awesome a dozen times.
The transformation really was huge. Even his appearance was changed. An amazing consequence of the stroke was the immediate loss of all tone in his muscles over night. Not the atrophying of muscles over time due to lack of use but the complete and immediate loss of all tension in every muscle on the left side of the body so that the leg and especially the arm just hung, slack and droopy. His arm even felt lighter and the bone at his shoulder protruded. Yet, today that was all changed. His arm appeared larger and toned. It did not fall from his shoulder but seemed to be solidly held in place by a muscle that appeared absent the day before. It even weighed more. And though his legs were already on the mend, they too appeared more ‘normal’, with more girth and muscle tone. What a crazy thing the body is. To think that the brain has that much power over our muscles and appearance -that we rely on its constant operation just to keep our muscles at what we mistake as at rest. It is stunning.
Like the cause of the stroke, I am sure there is no one reason why today of all days part of his body decided to come back to life. Maybe the swelling went down quite a bit last night, maybe his brain and arm just finally got their schedules coordinated, maybe it was the great day he spent with his mother the day before, the breakfast he ate, or maybe it was the pep talk he gave himself this morning before starting the day. Who knows, but it sure is crazy, how so many forces came together to renew Ben’s faith in this whole process.
To add to our excitement and joy we are also leaving the hospital tomorrow – FINALLY. The knowledge of this might have been the most critical factor in Ben’s physical ‘awakening’ today because living in a hospital is really not living at all. We are so excited. Tomorrow we will be living in the lap of luxury, cooking our own celebratory dinner, and sharing a huge king sized bed!!!
Okay, before I sign off, I want to say thanks again to everyone for staying tuned, concerned, and positive for us. Your kind, thoughtful, funny, poignant and heartfelt comments over the past few weeks have kept us going. Ben and I do not doubt for a second that you too played a huge part in what happened today. It is so comforting and AWESOME to know we are not alone in all of this and we are definitely figuring out how to get through this ‘slowly, slowly’ with your help.
Lots of love,
Casey and Ben
Your SV here: Just want to say that I honestly just had the best day of my life! I have never been more hopeful, confident, and happy. I feel like such a weepy woman, I am starting to wonder if they are feeding me steroids or double doses of estrogen!
19 comments:
Lots of tears and smiles and joy from your Florida family. Such wonderful news to start our day. Way to go Sven!
Oh yay!!! I am so excited to hear that! You've made my day and my week. We are continuing to pray for you daily and I SO apprecitate the constant updates on this blog. You are starting a new chapter outside of the hospital now and we will continue to pray for your progress and look to this blog to hear of your success.
Congrats, SV! Awesome work.
-Bruce
This is the best news I have heard in such a long time. Keep at it. It's your mind, your control, your body - it does not own you but you own it. I don't know what you had for breakfast but have it for lunch and dinner too.
Personally I think you've just had such a strong relationship with your hand, especially in your teenage years, that you couldn't bare to let it go. :D Sorry Casey.
Keep at it all of you weepy willows, talk to you soon.
got a little misty eyed here at work. not very cool to do to me, benny boy. you almost made me look like an chump. i am so happy to hear about the progress. i knew the situation was rough, but i don't think i fully grapsed how frustrating and depressing it must have been until i read today's blog. i am so glad that you are stubborn and don't give up easily. and i am very glad that you have casey there to keep you on track. keep up the great work, my man. we are all still thinking about you and are very proud of you...
gilbert
I had no idea, prograham just told me. i'm so glad you are doing well. stay strong and fight like the fierce mo-fo competitor i've always known you to be. we're thinking about you on the left coast.
-jake
We're glad you didn't have to go the way of Ash from the Evil Dead series, although you never know when a chainsaw could be helpful. The way it sounds like the staff's been treating you, a "boomstick" wouldn't be a bad thing to have around either.
We're glad to hear you've made a tremendous milestone and you're able to get away from the joys that come along with hospitals. We keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers and hope you'll stop by at some point to see your other nephew and by February another niece or nephew.
Ron, Anne, Kaley, Duncan, (?), and Guinness
ben-wow! i didn't know, news of this never made it to tahoe until today. i am floored at the news but glad to see your progress over the last 3 weeks. one thing that comes to mind is stack and restack. you were so good at that back in '95. and the Big Pimpin cane, i'll find a decal so we can get some flames on that thing for ya! wish to see you in sept. but will have you in our thoughts. take care and get strong.
- joe/ annie
Well, I for one am relieved.
After reading about that infamous purple pimp cane, I was worried for my niece that Ben was contemplating a career move into management...
in the 'entertainment biz?'
Great news, guys!!!
Love,
Bonnie's Guy
Thats great news Ben! keep it up, get your strength back so you can come out here to see the mess that jake has got himself into...hehe
-the other brad
Fantastic news!!!! The parentalunits allerted siblings about the breakthrough. I had just talked to your dad Wed. night on the phone and he was talking about the frustration and the scariness with the arm not responding.
So I was thrilled to get the latest update.
I'm glad you're getting to move to an apt. Being "home" always helps in these situations.
Love--Aunt Beth
Also, anyone else out there having trouble with this daggone comment thing? I've had to change my password twice--am sorry I didn't stay with anonymous! Any advice?
WOW!!! THAT IS JUST "AWESOME" NEWS! So many of my friends have been asking how Ben has been doing and I would say good except the left arm didn't seem to be working so well. I am so glad that it has finally come alive! And you get to go home! I am so proud of both of you for all the hard work you have done in the last 3 weeks and so happy that it has paid off. Love NJMOM
Benjamina, I'm so happy to hear that you and lefty have reconciled. I think it might have been the threat of "tattooing it black" because it was dead to you that scared back into function. Time heals all.
WE HAVE BEEN KEEPING TRACK OF BENS PROGRESS AND THINK OF HIM EVERYDAY. THERE WAS NEVER A DOUBT IN OUR MINDS THAT BEN HAD THE STRENGTH TO MAKE A STRONG COMEBACK!! KEEP FIGHTING!
LOVE, DOUG AND MINDY
Word to big bird! Benny, glad to hear the great news. I'm confident that you'll make a full and speedy recovery based on your personality and determination. It seems that with the help of Casey and your folks you are on the road to recovery. What's next after the hospital stay?
Drew
There was an article in our paper yesterday about Gewn Stefani coming to KL to perform. Apparantly, she had to agree to tone down her show and be covered from shoulder to knee. I guess I am a cultural idiot, because I wouldn't have guessed that Malaysians would have those requirements. Is it a religious or cultural thing? What religion is predominant there?
Hey, thanks to our cheerleading squad. So glad to share our excitement with you even if we have to out Ben as the weepy premenstrual female you never knew he was.
Just a quick response to Sara: I think the 'moral code' is both cultural and religious. Malaysia is predominantly Muslim and Islam is the state religion. Plus, the government likes to preserve what it refers to as its 'Asian family values'. Gwen probably agreed to tone her stage attire down because when the Pussycat Dolls played here last year they were actually arrested on stage!
Thank you for answering my cultural confusion question. Though now I am a little more confused because I am wondering how on earth you can get arrested during your show!
Anyway, I hope things are going well out of the hospital. You both continue to be in our prayers.
FYI....It can happen in the US as well. NWA got arrested during one of their shows as well. They weren't as scantily clad as the Pussycat Dolls but they had other things going for/against them.
-Bruiser
Post a Comment