Is it Help or Torture?

9:16 AM

Is it Help or Torture?

Still in the hospital, still working on getting better. One of the things we might not have made clear in our haste to reassure everybody that Ben is okay and going to recover is that he does have a brain injury that is not yet healed. One of the cruel ironies of a stroke is that though the wound is not fully healed, it is important to get into physiotherapy ASAP so that the muscles and brain don’t forget one another. It is not like a broken limb or heart surgery where the patient is mandated rest and time to heal before he/she can begin to actively strengthen their body. For someone who has suffered a stroke, there is no rest. This is made all the more crazy when you consider just what organ is injured- the brain – the hungriest, most active, energy consuming organ in the body. Seriously, the brain consumes something like 600 calories a day just to operate – you cannot burn that in an hour run. So healing the brain and training the brain are both exhausting and daunting tasks in and of themselves but together they are well, wow! When I think about it, I marvel at all Ben is doing. Add to this the fact that Ben is experiencing some serious vision problems (he is having trouble coordinating the muscles controlling his optical lens, which is creating a blurry world all around him), and his progress and attitude become even more amazing. I sometimes wonder how well I would fair in his shoes.

Thinking of it this way, certainly helps me to understand the days when he does not want to get up, when he wants to return to bed after his pt sessions, when he wants to be quiet and left alone, when he sits silently as we all chatter around him, and so on. The truth is, the reminder that we need to be patient and respect the body’s unpredictable process of healing is actually for those of us who love him and wish him well. We are so eager for him to keep moving forward and to keep positive that we worry over every little sign of distress or tiredness. How easily we can miss read the signs and in our desire to help actually drive Ben up the wall.

I mean imagine… Ben, who values quiet solitude, prefers using as few words as possible, and detests more than anything fielding questions about his current state of mind and health – he would rather you read his mind than answer the question ‘are you okay’- is now being bombarded with constant attention, constant questions about how he is feeling, what he wants, what he needs, and constant company. In his current situation he can’t escape, he can’t run away, he is too tired to tell us all to just shut up, and too aware that we are trying to help to ask us to leave him alone so he endures it all quietly. Can you imagine how tiring this all is for him? We are learning though, accepting his silence, his need for rest, and his desire for us to be there beside him without the constant chatter.

Many of you may be thinking that learning this would be easy since Ben is never one to shy away from loudly letting everyone know just what is on his mind but actually, a surprising side effect of the stroke is that Ben says very little about what he likes and dislikes. Even with his patience and attention span at such an all-time low that ADD does not even begin to describe it, Ben has been rather mute. Seriously. I actually witnessed his physical therapist beseeching him today to speak up and voice his anger. That is right, someone asked Ben today to vent his anger and not be afraid to speak his mind. Don’t worry, I do not think we lost that most lovable side of Ben’s for real. I just think he is truly too exhausted to bother and so devoted to being a good grateful patient that he is finding a different kind of patience for our fussiness.

6 comments:

  1. prograham said...

    We go waterpark?

    The Ben I know has said some memorable things. I don't believe this muteness you talk about. If anything I think he just needs a burrito. And like 50 bad movie stations to watch all night. THEN we'll see how tired he really is by seeing if he's still up in the morning watching them or not.

    Oh Benny Blanco, what a strange life this has turned out to be. I bet right now you're really wishing you hadn't faked your way through the Malay language classes so you can understand what the hell the doctors are saying to you. And I bet you're proud that Americans are arrogant and stupid so that the rest of the world has to speak English anyway. I know I am!

    I wish there was something I could do man. I would play you in ping-pong with one eye shut just so it would be fair. I'm sure you're happy your parents are there, or were there, and grateful that you have such good taste in women that have such unfortunate taste in men.

    Keep posting often, I like to hear how the therapy! (Infectious Grooves) is going. I'm now on my 9th day of no cigs - you tell me - is it a mistake?

    Now don't forget bermain!

  2. FLauntie said...

    It is amazing the insight you have into the psychological aspects of Ben's situation as well as the physical. I am sure that all the attention is hard for him to deal with, but he knows it is all done out of love. Most loved ones are so absorbed in how the situation effects them that they don't consider how it really effects the one having to go through it all. He will love you even more for understanding. You are a remarkable wife for being so intuitive. I hope Ben's progress continues to a full recovery. Keep up the great work.

  3. Anonymous said...

    Thank you so much for keeping this blog up to date with Ben's progess - physically, mentally and emotionally. We are still praying every day for both of you, but we do feel somewhat helpless otherwise. If you think of anything you want or need, please let me know. I would be more than happy to get it to you!

  4. Anonymous said...

    We are currently working on a 'Tribute to Ben/Sven' for our blog for being such a good patient. I will let you know when the post is up (i.e. within the next couple of days). And, I scored some interesting things from my Martian for the care package that is making it's way towards Malaysia as I write this.
    I'm not sure if this is incentive for PT but Ben, dear, you have to visualize the team on a beach in Thailand waking up to screwdrivers- your specialty- and a....mushroom omelete????hahaha.
    Miss you guys and am sending all my positive healthy energy via Mars satellites directly to you Ben- can you feel it? haha
    xoxo

  5. Anonymous said...

    I agree with Shiloh's mom, Casey---you have an amazing insight for this situation and for figuring out Ben. For some folks it takes 20 years of marriage for that kind of insight. And of course some never achieve it! In the latest email from the parental units, we've learned you are sleeping on a fold-out bed in his room---indication of true and deep commitment. It's an understatement to say spending the night in a hospital as a non-patient is difficult. I'm glad my sibling and wife can give you a break.
    You are doing an excellent job at explaining everything. I'm glad you gave your readers more insight into what Ben is going through.
    Ben, don't be hard on yourself---you're "gaining ground" every day.
    I'm sending love your way and many prayers to the guy upstairs.
    teacher aunt

  6. ParentalUnits said...

    From those of us on site we couldn't agree more with your comments about Casey's intuitive understanding of Ben and just what he needs. We follow her lead everyday, otherwise Ben would yell at us. Seriously, we will be forever grateful and devoted to her for her amazing caregiving. Wow! It actually is very gratifying and comforting to know that your daughter-in-law understands and gets your son's needs better than you do. Casey rocks! Ben has had a great two days. Working so hard. Walked up and down steps with assistance. His therapists are sooooo fantastic.

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008