Meet the Parental Units

7:57 PM

First, thank you for all the comments. I know I haven’t been typing any personal e-mails or posts myself, little busy with a brain injury, but I want to quickly comment on a few things.

- First of all, Sara. Who has their story of having their car stolen and dumped at a crackhouse one-upped by their cousin? The story is just too ridiculous that does not even happen in the movies.

- Prograham, it is good to have you back brother.

- Also, a shout out to Casey’s cousin Andrew and his wife who just had a baby girl and to Ben’s cousin Andrew who is about to have twin baby girls. Cannot wait to get back state side and meet all the new additions.

- To everyone out in Colorado, thank you guys, I really miss you. No one here will bring me a vodka tonic.

Updates on Ben’s progress/health so on. He is healthy. There is little question about that everyone that sees him and hears his story just can’t understand how it happened. In fact, one of our teachers came to visit Ben the other day, while a friend of ours and former student of hers was also visiting, and she commented several times on how completely stunned she was about the whole situation. She kept pointing to Farouk (a 6ft. tall big boned but hardly fat Indian-American) and saying ‘YOU, I could see it happening to YOU but not Ben I mean he is so active and healthy and fit, YOU though…’ Got to love that Malaysian tact. Anyway, Ben is still moving forward each and every day (this is quite literally true- I am pretty certain that he will be walking with a walker and abandoning the wheelchair this week!). It is as if another part of him either wakes up or starts to more consistently remember its responsibility every morning. He is not running down halls or serving left-handed but if you ask me (and his parents who have only been able to watch the changes over the past two days) his progress is just as remarkable.

As for the prognosis, everyone seems very interested in the prognosis, it is still a big question mark. Only time and lots of hard work will give us any idea of what’s to come. It is an unsatisfactory answer, I know but it is all we have.

For the near term, we are planning to stay in the hospital for at least another week. Ben still tires easily, is not really mobile yet, and is in physical therapy twice a day so the hospital makes the most sense. Plus, as long as he is an inpatient insurance covers everything, another really good reason to stick around. He is not bed bound any longer though. In fact, I am trying to enforce an in bed for sleeping only rule. It is not easy because we just upgraded his bed to a ‘Alpha’ Mattress so if Ben had his way he would choose to spend his day there in front of the TV or the endless action/war movie DVD collection our friend brought him the other day. He is also not strictly hospital bound either. So we can take him out and about to break up the monotony. We have big plans this week for a movie, some dinners out, strolls in the park (picture this -Ben in the wheelchair, with a floral print blanket across his knees, hat askew, and a paper bag of bird feed in his hand), and chilling in front of his parent’s flat screen TV, which should help to introduce some sense of living into this mess.

After this week, we will see. I am thinking a vacation in KL for a couple of weeks at the ridiculously nice service apartments Cynthia and David are staying in. I mean, our house is too far away, not air conditioned, has stairs, and well, in truth can’t compete with staying in a pimped out apartment for a couple of weeks. Although I am not sure if either Ben or I can get used to city living (the traffic, the expenses, the noise suck), the good food, amenities and friends will be good for us both. After that who knows, we will just have to keep you posted.

Now with updates on our dear old Ben out of the way, I want to get to the main attraction for today’s post – ‘The Parental Units’, a new set of characters in our Malaysian adventure. So far our Malaysian drama has centered around Stacy and Sven, the yin and yang pair that traveled to Malaysia for work, fun, and ha, ha life changing experiences, the unlikely brand obsessed, gay neighbor, and our scene stealing peanut gallery in North America. ‘The Parental Units’ have made cameos before, chiming in now and then. but today is their breakout episode. Not sure if they are actually ready. In fact, I am going ahead without their permission so I will tread lightly and ease them into the picture but having entered our world they have also made themselves central characters in this, our Malaysian saga.

Introducing ‘Big David Hilliard’: After coffee obsessed David has his 4th or 5th cup of the day, he grips the back of Ben’s wheelchair like it is a plow determined to sweep all burka clad women out of the way –‘Make way my son had a stroke!’ When the elevator doors open, you must respect his determination because neither the 6 people in the elevator, the back of the elevator, or even the fact that he is busting through all barriers with the assistance of his son’s helpless body are much of a deterrent when he is set on getting to the wrong floor as quickly as possible.

Introducing Cynthia ‘The Interrogator’ Hilliard: So far insurance problems have been working themselves out on their own, but just in case we brought in a ringer from the US, Cynthia. She is a well-oiled question and answer machine, nothing will slip through the cracks with her on point. With pen and tiny notepad in hand, doctors and nurses are forced to earn their keep. If you say there is only a single digit percent chance that a stroke will occur again, you better be prepared for the quick thinking Cynthia to ascertain exactly what you mean – “Is that a one or nine percent, doc?”

We are taking liberties and joking around but life is truly so much easier and comfortable now that the ‘Parental Units’ have arrived. Their very presence, which is so visibly guided by an unconditional love for Ben and concern for his health, has given Ben a special kind of strength and motivation. You could see it in his eyes the first day Ben’s parents joined his physical therapy session- he was walking with the aid of their enthusiastic smiles.

So we are four now and we are slowly figuring out just how to get through this together. No doubt the healing process will be long and challenging but we are ready. With flaky Stacy, bullheaded Sven, no nonsense Cynthia, and no excuses David on the case, recovery is already within our reach. Stay tuned.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    That was awesome! Very nice characterizations, but really - it is great to keep getting updates on what is going on. I check in daily and you are all in our prayers.

  2. Anonymous said...

    I wasn't in the best of moods today--long story. Anyhow, I needed a laugh and Casey you so wonderfully descrbed my brother & sister-in-law. I can just picture both of them! Thank you for that marvelous "picture"!
    They have great hearts and I'm glad they're there to help you both. I'm sure there will be times when everyone's nerves are a bit stretched, but you'll have more times when you're laughing and working together.
    Love to you all. Aunt Beth

  3. Raul said...

    Hi guys! I returned from Peru saturday and now am fixing to end it all (the dissertation) by December. Erica and I became Canadian landed immigrants yesterday and plan to take full advantage of Quebec's fancy health care as soon as we need to.
    All our best wishes to iron-Ben. We are rooting for you two always!! Until soon, we hope
    Raul

  4. Anonymous said...

    Thanks for the update. Please keep them coming as we in CO check back often as well. Glad to hear Ben continues to make progress and that Dave and Cindy are on the scene. While this whole episode is very unfortunate and Ben's health is the key, in some ways it's been a huge rallying point and it's been pretty cool to see the upswell of support around Ben and Casey. It puts things in perspective and shows you should live every day like it's your last. Ben - I fully expect you to be doing hand stands and juggling when we come to visit in a few months. Failing that, I'm happy to push you around in a wheel chair while you drool on your floral print blanket. Either way, brother, looking forward to it.

    Cheers,
    Drew

  5. prograham said...

    Big Dave loves coffee? Man, it's like we're twins... only I'm the not the hairy one. And glad to hear Cynthia made it safe too. Forget insurance companies, does anyone stand a chance against her in an argument? Let's ask Dave... ahem.

    Well, glad to hear recovery is going well. Apparently I should look up what it means to have a stroke, I didn't know Ben couldn't walk. No rush on personal replies tho, Casey you are doing an A+ job keeping us worriers well informed. Unless he's really dead. Then you're just mean.

    Ok, bad jokes aside, take it easy all of you. This will probably be the only time all four of you are together half a world away from "home" so enjoy every minute of it and let the rest of us live through you if only for a blog post a day.

    =)

    Talk to you later

  6. Anonymous said...

    I read my brother's email awhile ago Ben----you're getting to ride in a van to their "Crate and Barrel" decorated condo, watch a DVD, eat popcorn, and swim. Sounds good to me. I think you'll like the water--it's an equalizer. Of course this example is no where as serious as your stroke, but that said---when I broke my ankle I could do things in the pool that I couldn't do outside of the pool. I felt better physically, but also mentally because of the confidence it restored in me. I hope you find the experience helpful.

    I'm curious---Who picks the DVD--you or David? He always had to choose the movies we went to see as an extended family during the holidays and no offense David, but I didn't always like your choice.

    As to readers of this blog, I hope the absence of commemnts means you're emailing them instead of writing on the blog. If not, I strongly urge you to write them. They need your comments---contact with you---now more than ever.
    "Stacy" keeps it upbeat. Emails have been a bit blunter. Ben has a hell of a journey ahead of him and he needs all the encouragement he can get. So WRITE!
    The teacher aunt

  7. Anonymous said...

    Benny:
    Have you heard the new Beasties instrumental album yet? Definently the Beasties so it's pretty cool. Not as good as "in sounds from way out" but it's beginning to grow on me.... kinda like the fungus growing on you from laying in bed all the time.
    Curiousity has struck me and I must ask...I had a question....Is it always Stacey that gives you the sponge baths or do you have surprise guests? Or roll calls for all the nurses and you get to pick? Do they take turns? Does Stacey have to leave the room? If you were wondering it was nurses who did mine when I was in for about 8 days but I also didn't have a wife then. You know I love hearing about your progress and how you're getting better and walking and all but maybe I'm speaking for myself here when THESE are things I want to know.
    Keep up the hard fight.
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    P.S. Public Service Announcement: Just so I don't offend anyone....the above was all tongue in cheek.

  8. Anonymous said...

    hey both of you!
    it's phil back home in montreal...
    i got the news through claudine in bolivia... wow! and that's quite some news... if only it was because you smoked too much!!! (i'm not sure i should be writing this right now... you know... i don't know who reads... but anyways) take care of yourself dude!

  9. Ben and Casey said...

    First, I love all the people that come out of the woodwork and let us know they are rooting for Ben. Thanks, Raul, Erica, and Phil. Hope you are enjoying your Montreal summer for us. As for the sponge baths, Ben has graduated to the shower but he did have a team of young Malaysian nurses attending to him around the clock and no doubt he enjoyed it. Though he was shy to admit it. Now he is stuck with the wife. Can't let him get too carried away!

  10. Anonymous said...

    hey ben, I heard what happened and just want to offer my support, and thank you and casey for keeping everyone updated since you guys are all the way in Phatlaysia. Now lets get better and crank freekin' Rhymin' and Stealin' off of the 1986 classic License To Ill - not this new wankfest stuff.
    -alex

  11. Anonymous said...

    OOOps says teacher aunt--- I let my teacher voice out. And it came out way too strong. Sorry. (I'm sure some of you can picture me hanging onto a shopping cart with a death grip while clenching my teeth shut so I won't verbally "respond" to the little hellions running around the grocery store screaming at the top of their lungs while they attempt to run over me. After all, I am David's sister--oh but then I guess I should charge into them)!
    There's plenty of reasons to be upbeat and the emails are very positive also. The difference is that Stacy & Swem have written this blog with great wit. Even when Swen wrote about his bike mishaps, he made you laugh even though he could have been seriously hurt. And that same wit is coming through as they report on this latest challange. And that's fine as long as all of us don't relax to the point that we get too busy to reach out in some way.
    There's a tendency in this hectic world of ours to get caught up in our own lives and be too busy or too tired to reach out even in a short email to a friend or relative going through a really rough time. I have been guilty of that. As the overprotective bossy teacher aunt I don't want that to happen to B & C.

  12. Anonymous said...

    Hey guys:
    Sounds like the road to recovery is slow but steady. I and the two shedding hairy dogs are thinking and cheering for you each day.

    Ben not to make you too jealous, but looks like me and your sister in-law will be enjoying the New Beasties album live this Saturday at the good old Borgata, wish you were here to enjoy it with us. Though your parents pimped out pad doesn't sound too bad either. Keep up the hard work.

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008