Words at Random

10:17 PM

I can't rightfully call these posts words of the week anymore, so how about words at random or words at my very fickle whim. I do take requests though and today, once again I am fulfilling the wishes of my dear brother's very strange 6th grade class. I say strange because in addition to the normal interest in words for sports (sukan) and weather (cuaca), they also asked for words for 'underwater animals'. For that I love them and you will all now be introduced to the words for soccer and squid, for that you owe them a big thanks! So let's get down to business.

Sports (sukan)
Although I am learning that Malaysians are not real huge sports and exercise enthusiasts, they still have words for most and lucky for us, since most are imports, many of the words are just english words with funny spelling.

To play - bermain (burr-mine)
Exercise - bersenam (burr-sa-nahm)
Running - berlari (burr-lah-ree)
Race - lumba (loom-bah)
Jogging - berjogging
Swimming - berenang Swimming pool - kolam renang
Soccer - bola sepak (bowl-ah say-pok)
Indoor soccer - futsal (foot-sawl)
Basketball - bola keranjang (ka-rahn-jong)
Baseball - besbal (baseball)
American Football - futbal Amerika
Volleyball - bola tampar (bowl-ah tahm-pahr) or literally slap ball
Badminton - badminton (this is actually a popular and serious sport here)
Tennis - permainan tenis (per-mine-on)
Netball - bola jaring (like basketball but no dribbling, when you have the ball you must stay in place and pivot only)
Competition - pertandingan
Opponent - pelawan
Win - menang
Lose - kalah

Weather (cuaca -chew-ah-cha)
Like, I think we might have mentioned this before - there are really only two words that matter here, hot and rain, but you might be able to use the other words where you are.
Suhu - temperature
Hot - panas (pah-nahs), hangat (extremely hot), sangat panas (very hot), terlalu panas (too hot), terik (sweltering in the sun), berpeluh (sweating)
Rain - hujan (hoo-john), hujan lebat (heavy rain), hujan lama (long rain), ribut (storm), kilat (lightening), guruh (thunder)
Cold - sejuk
Cool and comfortable - segar dan nyamun (nya-moon) (like spring)
Wind - angin (ahng-in)
Breeze - bayu (bye-ewe)
Snow - salji (sawl-jee)
Tornado - puting beliung
Overcast/cloudy - mendung

And finally, Sea Animals (Binatang Laut)
Fish - ikan (ee-con)
Starfish - sulaiman (sue-lie-mahn)
Seahorse - singa laut (sing-ah lowl-oot - funny thing is two words mean lion and sea)
Seal - anjing laut (on-jing lowl-oot - funny thing is these two words mean dog and sea)
Coral - karang (it is animal you know..or is it a plant)
Crab - ketam (I know this one because we eat them alot here - all right, I have a confession, when I first wrote this I used the word for potato and actually I do not eat them much because they are too messy and near impossible to crack open with just a cheapy, flimsy fork and your hands, they are on the menu alot though)
Squid - sotong (these I do eat alot though - no joke, squid is in everything, the rice, the soup, the salad)
Shrimps or prawns - udang (ewe-dong)
Clam - kepah
Stingray - ikan pari
Jellyfish - ubur-ubur
Shark - ikan jerung
Dolphin - ikan lumba-lumba
Whale - ikan paus (ee-con pow-oos)

I will leave it to you bright though strange students to figure out what is 'off' about those last two terms.

All right, I think that should keep you busy for a bit. Until my next sporadic word post, study
hard so you too can have a bahasa rahsia!
StB

1 comments:

  1. prograham said...

    Yay, bola SAYPOCK!!!

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008