Haven't heard from anyone in awhile which I figure is the fault of our incredibly sparse postings of late. I guess when life get's back to an everyday routine, whether in Malaysia or elsewhere, our lack of creativity gets the best of us. I have honestly been spending a lot of time thinking about what I could inform you all about but I really have nothing. There is the little tidbit about the huge crush my neighbor's friend has on Sven. Apparently, Sven is all he talks about anymore. For my neighbor and I this is a fun topic, which we use often to make Sven blush and squirm but it does not work well as a blog topic. There is also the continuation of the story I began about the Malaysian media's fascination with publishing real or fake articles about drug busts almost everyday but I think the strangeness is only really striking to me and may not actually be all that weird at all.
I could also go on about the lack of freedom in the press here, which is mostly all owned in one way or another by the ruling government party. But I do not want to because I believe that the media in the US is equally horrible and unfree in a more insidious way and do not want you all to go quoting us to your friends with things like 'do you know in Malaysia that the government controls the press, how awful!' I am protective of Malaysia that way. It drives Sven crazy because he believes you should call a spade a spade wherever you are but I think it is important that we do not contribute to negative stereotypes of developing countries, foreign cultures, Muslim communities, etc. That is the easy path, the one of least resistance which justifies our own behaviors, comforts, beliefs, and ways of thinking, without reflecting on the fact that ours is not the only or the best way. And besides, there are plenty of people out there already doing this. I think we have a responsibility actually to combat those images or at least, recognize our own shortcomings as a culture and society first before we judge others - sort of a people who live in glass houses should not throw stones attitude. Like I said, this drives Sven crazy and I am sure some of you are rolling your eyes as well but that is my belief and I am sticking to it.
On the other hand, I am not afraid to say that most local news in Malaysia is empty and hollow and even silly at times. I have been scanning and reading a Malay and English language newspaper everyday for the last week for my research and am stunned by what amounts to news in this country and especially, what counts as an article. For instance, there was a recent incident here where a young five year old boy was taken from a shopping mall and missing for two weeks. He was finally turned in by a couple from Myanmar, who had been living here for years as refugees. The couple who had the boy for two weeks called the family (coincidentallybusybodiness that is so prominent in the kampung (village areas) should not be abandoned when we move to the city. The 'expert' in this story claimed that busybodiness is especially important when you move to the city so that we do not all become unaware of our neighbors and overlook things like missing children or the unexpected addition of a five year old child to the family. And finally, the clincher mostly because it was an article first read by Sven the other evening when I forced him to at least try to study. Already grumbling, Sven chose an article with a title something like 'If you confine kids that are not yours, you could be accused of kidnapping'. The article went on to repeat the advice offered by the head of police that people who find missing children should immediately contact the police rather than keep them for extended periods of time in their home because this could lead to the accusation of kidnapping! Man, Sven was fuming mad at the 'stupidity' and I am pretty sure I will not be able to get him to read the paper again for awhile. These gems of information are truly indicative of the quality of news here.
But being the obnoxious point the finger at your own behavior before pointing it at others believer that I am, I would like to add that the pattern definitely mirrors in some ways what you are all witnessing now in the aftermath of the VTech tragedy, with everyone trying to understand how something like that could happen, who to blame, etc. The difference is though that it feels like here we have a group of high schoolers filling the role of not just reporters but police chief, experts, etc. The advice is so simple and straightforward, there is no deep psychology or convoluted sociological analysis so it is silly to read and seemingly nonsense but I am not sure that this is really any worse than the US. For one, there is something refreshing in the lack of sophistication which makes the sometimes ridiculous news transparent to the Malaysians who laugh unabashedly at the press. There is, despite nothing really being done to oppose it, a widespread awareness that the news is neither free nor the unequivocal bearer of truth here in Malaysia. In the US, we still accept that it is free even if we argue over its 'liberalness' or 'conservativeness' nature and believe that facts are being reported in some way or another. Because of its 'freeness' and sophistication, I think the intended and unintended effects of the news are more deeply hidden in the US, harder to pin down and openly laugh at. Not saying one is worse than the other but just want to be clear, we Americans do not have it all figured out and a 'free press' does not unquestionably equal a public informed with the facts and an 'unfree press' does not mean that people are unaware of the absurdity of many of the things reported in the news.
Boy, I get off on tangents. I started this blog today with the intention of commenting on our last post with the Will Ferrell video. I was going to say, I hope your silence does not mean we offended with the video. When I first, came across the video I thought it was simply funny. Probably because I love Will Ferrell and think that he can do no wrong. Even though it occurred to me that maybe having a little girl curse and play drunk might not be appropriate, I was willing to let it slide because hey, it was Will Ferrell, he is a nice guy, right? I am actually still not sure what I think. Is the little girl being exploited? I do not know. Anyway, apparently the video is getting a lot of attention as being controversial (here is a link to a short article that was linked to the msn home page today http://www.slate.com/id/2164301/#school?GT1=9330) and I wanted to hear from you all. Do you think Ben and I are shameless for reproducing this video? Is it unfunny? Exploitative? Will you ever go to another Will Ferrell movie? Like I said, I honestly don't know what to think, it feels harmless but maybe not.
So anyway, hope you are all still with us and it was simply just the sheer boringness of the blog lately that has made you all so quiet. For that I can only say that we are an old married couple, succumbing to the laziness that pervades the air here and there is not much we can do about it. We will try though, maybe Sven can stir things up the next time we are on campus by wearing some shorts or kicking over a trash can or two. Take care, StB
I just read this post and I want all of you to know that this is our typical dinner conversation. What I wouldn't do for some fart jokes. For the record, I thought the Will Ferrel video was hilarious and I say exploit those little kids if it makes me laugh.
SB
Hope You are Still With Us
8:28 AM
10 comments:
Fart jokes....awesome.
Just wanted to say a little something about that video. Imagine me and Emilio. Watching that video three times back to back. And then, of course, all we do now is talk about 'getting our drink on' and 'being buzzed' and actually getting our drink on being buzzed.
Please! At the end she said "come, Mommy" So obviously there was some sort of parent there at the time laughing her butt off too. I called Brett a dick to Katie the other day and Wyatt thought it was so funny he repeated about six times. That's just what kids do. She didn't know what she was saying, and probably would have said it when she was alone for that matter. We all may as well benefit from the factthat it is caught on tape. Cause when they do these things it is hysterical. Just ask Wyatt what's on his chest..when he replies neeple try not to laugh.
edit: ok, apparently blogger still has some work to do with the comments section because they messed up my links, so here's my repost hopefully with working links.
Oh please, Will Farell is awesome and that video is gold. I think no posted comments there because: we can't! For some reason that post did not have any links to post comments. I tried all sorts of ways to view it hoping I could comment but alas I found none.
As for censorship... I find I can no longer read/watch nor do I want to read/watch about anything in the world. It seems most of the world is into oppressing their own people, manipulating/brainwashing them via media & news, and completely into growing the 80/20 gap even wider.
Some examples:
censorship -
http://tinyurl.com/mplm2
80-20 rule -
http://tinyurl.com/3dr48l
oppression -
http://tinyurl.com/yquorw
I pretty much think anyone that is so brainwashed by a religion that they would pick up a gun should do me a favor and turn it on themselves.
But back to Will Farrell, if you read the comments under the video link you posted someone said something like "child services should be called, I saw something like this on Dr. Phil".
Yep, add one more bullet to the chamber.
Yeah! Reading your comments makes me feel better not because I really thought I lost you all but because you are right that little girl was adorable, super smart, and funny as hell. Plain and simple! The problem is people have all lost their sense of humor along with their marbles. I read that article on Slate and honestly thought how is this exploitation but hey I was willing to wonder but as for I saw this on Dr. Phil call child services! Yikes. The world has gone mad!
Ok, I'll add my two cents on the video. So, I saw it a number of times, and sent it to friends. Will Ferrell is a god. And I don't know if you knew but that cute little girl is the daughter of the other guy in the video who happens to be Will Ferrell's best friend. I want to be Will Ferrell's best friend. But back to the point. It *could* have maybe been bad if it was some parents who needed money and had to have their daughter do that. But that kid? She's the daughter of Will Ferrell's best friend. If I had a kid, I'd try to make it swear in front of a camera too - and it would totally be my prerogative, F*** doctor Phil. It's not like she learned that from her violent family or something. She doesn't know what bitch means. I think this is comedy gold.
I don't want to blog anymore, I just want keep on commenting with all you. Right on Clo, F Dr. Phil and all hail Will Ferrell. Anyone see Blades of Glory yet? I am dying to find a pirated copy! How bout a link to an all time Will Ferrell classic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL94rAgJIKY
(must cut and paste)!
Nice to hear from you again. As you can see we are all still here.
I personally loved you insightful analysis of the press. The recent coverage of the VT killings by the news channels was often beyond shameful and at times bizarre. It was like superbowl coverage of a massacre. The dramatic lead in music, exclusive interviews with wounded students, it was offensive. More reality TV than news. Hard to argue in favor of this kind of reporting.
Will Ferrel is not offensive, he is funny, and the little girl is hilarious. Do you remember when we were playing monopoly in Vermont with the Houstons, and Jamie was about 9 years old, and I was writing her notes telling her what to say to Uncle Jack and Brian when they were trying to make trades with her? That was also slightly wrong, but it was funny. What a shame if you can't laugh at that video. I'm certain everyone on my email list did.
I do appreciate Ben's addendum; a steady diet of the available food choices and these conversations, oh boy!
Okay, I will add my two cents worth. I thought it was funny. I thought I probably shouldn't but I did. Actually, thinking about it makes me laugh. Cute kid. I love the outrageous.
I guess I will weigh in on this. I thought the video was funny even though I didn't think I should. Even thinking about it now makes me laugh. Cute kid. I love the outrageous. Always have.
Post a Comment