How About Some More Malay Words

10:21 PM

So I have been holding off with this very basic Malay lesson about common greetings because what should be the most simple and useful set of phrases is actually a little bit more complicated than necessary. I mean why can't Malays just have a single word for 'hello'. Instead, they have a phrase for saying hello that is not only a mouthful but different depending on the time of day. I am always saying 'good morning' when I should be saying 'good afternoon'. So good luck (semoga berjaya)!

Saying Hello
Selamat Pagi (se-lah-maht pah-gee)_-_Good morning (used between 6AM and 11:59AM)
Selamat Tengahari (teng-ah-hah-ree)_-_Good afternoon (used between Noon and 12:59PM)
Selamat Petang (pe-tahng)_-_Good evening (used between 1PM and midnight)
Selamat Malam (mah-lahm)_-_Good night (used to say goodnight before bed)


Asking How are you?
Apa Khabar (ah-pah kah-bar)?_-_How are you?
Khabar baik (bye-ick)._-_I am fine.
Or for a slang phrase -
Apa cerita (cheh-reetah)?_- What's up?


Saying Thank You
Terima Kasih (teh-reemah kah-see)_-_Thank you
Sama-sama (sah-mya sah-mya)._-_Your welcome.


Other Useful Phrases
Tak apa (tahk-pya)_-_It doesn't matter.
Tak peduli (peh-doo-lee)_-_I don't care.
Apa-apa (ah-pah ah-pah)_-_whatever
Mana-mana (mah-nya mah-nya)_-_wherever
Bila-bila (bee-lya bee-lya)_-_whenever

1 comments:

  1. prograham said...

    Terima Kasih! Now I can be a little hand-raiser too! ;)

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008