Some More New Words

10:49 PM

Hurray, my first post from home. That's right, Sven and I picked up our new modem on Sunday and so far so good. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that, like everything else here, we will not be complaining about it a week from now. Thing is though, my computer is still not fixed so no new photos. It really makes the blog so much less fun I know and I have so many I want to share too. We took my computer in last week but received the bad news that all my USB ports are actually fried and I need to take it to the 'big' city for repair. Arrgh! It honestly makes me want to just buy a whole new computer or just not worry about it and find ways around the whole USB thing. I am truly a lazy soul.

All right, now for some new words. This week we will provide some family terms. It is worth mentioning that in Malaysia these terms are commonly (pretty much always) used as nicknames for family members. So just like we call our mother and father, mom and dad instead of their name, Malays also always call their older brothers, little sisters, etc. big bro, kid sister, etc. Also, if you are trying to be polite and friendly you might also call a friend, acquaintance or neighbor big sis so and so or little bro so and so. And the word for grandfather is a term of high respect reserved for important leaders and of course, a select number of celebrities. So here goes...

___________Family (Keluarga -keh-loo-argh-ah) Relations

Grandmom - Nenek (na-neck)____
Grandpop/pa -
Datuk (Dah-took)

__________
_______
Parents - Ibubapa (eeboo-bah-pah)
Mom - Emak (eh-mahk)/Ibu___Dad - Ayah (I-ya)/Bapa

______Children - Anak-anak (ah-nahk-ah-nahk)

______
Siblings - adik-beradik (ah-dik-beh-rah-dik)
Older Sis - Kakak (kah-kahk)/Kak __
Older Bro - Abang (ah-bong)/bang
Youngest - Bongsu (bow-ng-soo)/su_
Only Child -
anak tunggal (toong-gahl)

Aunt -
Mak Cik (Mahk-chick)_____
Uncle -
Pak Cik (pahk-chick)
Cousin - sepupu (seh-poo-poo)

Phrases to come.

4 comments:

  1. prograham said...

    Are there any words that don't contain a k? Oh right, boleh.

  2. Bruce C Gamache said...

    Hey Guy & Gal....Sven and Stacey
    nice work on the words. I enjoy my Malay teachings very much these days. I'm with Ben though on the 8 hours a day of Malay might be a little much. Just a little though.

    Ben might be the only one to enjoy this but can we start using the phrase "I need to take a cousin"?

    Anyway....hope you're both doing well and miss you guys. Keep up the good work!

  3. Ben and Casey said...

    Bruiser,
    I have to take a cousin - Buang air kecil or Buang air besar. Literally "to throw little water" or "to throw big water". Considering the diet over here "throwing water" is not such an inapproriate phrase. Do you know what the national sport of Malasyia is? You guessed it - badminton

  4. Bruce C Gamache said...

    Throw little water......that's hilarious....because it's different....hahahahaha.....those funny Malaysians.

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008