Malay Is Not So Obsolete After All

9:29 PM

Sorry, no words yet for you this week but here is an interesting tidbit. Malay has actually had an influence on the english language. No joke. Do you know the coolest human cousin the orangutan? Well, it was brought to our attention the other day that it is not actually oh-rang-oo-tan but o-rung u-tahn or orang utan. Now this means nothing to you but for us students of Bahasa Melayu it creates a light bulb reaction because in Malay orang means human and hutan means jungle. So you get it?! Orangutan is jungle man. Awesome, huh? Oh, the little things that entertain.

Anyway, I am tortured because I do not want to blog at all until I have pictures and I still do not have a way to share our pictures. My computer is officially busted with no hope of repair. This is not as bad as it sounds because really the only thing that is completely useless is the USB ports and we were able to buy a USB card bus (external USB ports) to get around the problem to a certain degree. But unfortunately for whatever reason my camera refuses to work even with these new ports, nor will my jumpdrive. Everything else works so my only guess is that the camera and jumpdrive got messed up in conjunction with the old ports. Any computer geniuses out there, please feel free to offer your opinions. So far no one in Malaysia has a clue, mostly everyone just scratches their head. Oh well, where there is a will there is a way and I will definitely find it but until then I am leaving the writing to Sven, who I think is better at this whole storytelling thing.

I too am not happy about blogging this week. This is not because I don't want to share our experiences or that I am lazy but because I am so strung out due to lack of sleep. I am far from an insomniac. In fact, I generally can fall asleep anywhere. Just today for example, I fell asleep during class. I sleep on planes, I sleep on buses, recently I have become an excellent napper, but for some reason I can not sleep at night. I don't know if it is the weirdest case of delayed jet lag, all the crazy new Malay words disrupting my peace of mind, the fact that my mattress is made of nails, or the fact that it was 91 degrees in the bedroom last night. I am not kidding - 91 degrees at 4am. I have three (3) fans running at full speed pointed directly at my face and it is still too hot to sleep. I tried sleeping downstairs where we have a ceiling fan and it is a bit cooler, I tried taking a cold shower before getting into bed, I tried smashing my head against a wall but nothing seems to be working. Fortunately I made a friend last weekend and he gave me 35 pirated DVDs so I have plenty of movies to watch late at night. Last night I watched Beerfest and am now much dumber for having seen it. You know that you are wide awake with no hope of sleeping when at 4am you decide to watch a crappy movie rather than go to bed. I know that I am complaining and that no one signs onto this blog to hear me complain but damnit, I want someone to understand how frustrating not sleeping can be. Stacy just calls me a princess and tells me to go to sleep. I have decided that tonight I am going to try the Constanza method: I will chug 2 giant cups of hot coffee, listen to some crazy loud Metallica, and do 100 pushups before I get into bed.




3 comments:

  1. prograham said...

    Jungle man and woman not adapting to their native roots quite as well as they thought might. And you thought Montreal was the sticks! Well, I did. Stacey, call me crazy or maybe I'm not understanding you correctly - but if neither of your usb ports worked before, how are you hooking up the hub to the computer now? ...not through the same usb ports, right? I want to help! And princess, you need to grow a pair and bootleg some of grandma's malt liquor in there. It'll knock you out foool!

  2. Anonymous said...

    Casey,
    My computer guru's only solution to your problem is to contact the company that you bought the card from, and have their support people walk you through the problems. He says your camera should work, if the P.C.I. card was installed properly, unless it is uncompatable with your hardware. You know that I have no idea what I'm talking about, so this is my relaying his phone conversation. I would have unpluged it and waited 15 seconds, and hoped that fixed it.

  3. Anonymous said...

    Have you considered posting some interpretive images created in Microsoft Paint? It might be a healthy outlet for all that pent-up rage. Or perhaps the not-so-pent-up rage. I think you could even use Word for your drawings, so long as you can narrate your life using only Square, Star and Squircle tools. Something to think about.

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008