Ah, I have found a home. The other day a cab driver told me that we are not in Malaysia but MaLAZYsia. This moniker and notion is in large part a lasting legacy of colonialism (and maybe prior, I am not sure, but the word for lazy is malas). During the time of British colonial rule Malay laziness became a topic of some notoriety. The 'myth of the lazy native' became such a prominent and elaborate stereotype that Malays themselves came to identify as lazy. Indeed, I have read many texts about the ways in which Malays adopted the British stereotype as their own. Among Malaysians a general consensus developed that suggested that by nature the Chinese are hardworking, money hungry businessmen, Indians are diligent workers, and Malays are lazy, slow, unconcerned with time or money. But what I did not read about was how Malays have come to wear this moniker as a badge of honor.
To be lazy is something to strive for, something one must work at and revel in. For instance, if you find yourself working too hard in the middle of the afternoon when it is hot and sticky, it is advised to stop everything and nap or at least find an air-conditioned room in which you can rest your mind and maybe eat (eating is very important for this lifestyle of laziness). Or if you are walking down the street and you find yourself breaking out in a sweat, ask yourself 'why am I walking so fast? Is it going to get me money or something?' (this is really a direct quote from a Malay). Actually, it is even better to ask yourself why are you walking in the first place. I mean if you have a car no distance is too short to drive and if you don't have a car, there is always the bus. It may come in thirty minutes and your destination maybe only a 10 minute walk away but why expend energy when you can sit in the shade and rest.
Now I may sound like I am passing judgement on this lazy way of being but in truth I feel a real kinship with these lazy folk. Those who know me well know that I am equipped with a powerful lazy gene, which in the time conscious and fast-paced context of the US is maladaptive but here, here I am among the 'fittest'. Well, maybe not the fittest in terms of what counts the the world over or even in the local corporate, business or academic sector but at least as a naturally lazy person I am not alone; I fit in. It is the natural way here. The 'other' way of being, the efficient, time-conscious, organized, highly rational (i.e. Ben's way) way, is only an emerging reality that has yet to grab hold of everyone. It may in time, but if I understand anything about the lazy gene, no amount of training or effort can eradicate it quickly. It will take some careful breeding and early childhood interventions to defeat the lazy Malay. And if there is any truth to what my teacher has told me, the lazy gene actually appears to be spreading here in Malaysia, with all Malaysians, Chinese, Indian and Malays alike, upholding the lazy stereotype.
So watch out world, because it seems that us lazy folk are not going quietly and we are definitely not going anywhere quickly. We may not have a plan, the incentive, or even the energy to purposely thwart or oppose the expansion and progress of all you industrious and hard-working individuals but we can, by our very presence, frustrate and annoy the hell out of you. StB
Malazysia
4:45 PM
3 comments:
I am looking into selling everything here and moving to Malazysia. This is the holy land that I have been looking for. But as I lay here on my bed with my bag of guacamole potato chips I think it would be best for me to take a nap first. When you move there do they give you non-malazy serfs?
Your dogs would do very well there too! It has been so cold they have only been going on some short walks. Today it is 58 degrees, you would have thought they are both 80 years old with the slowness to there pace on our run.
You have me wondering if we have some Malay in our family history. That leek gene seems very closley tied to the Malay culture...
Wow. A very informative article. I think I could learn to live in a culture where laziness is actually respected. I've been in the city too long.Gots to make me some savings then move to Malaysia and lay around and eat as an early retirement.
Post a Comment