Ok, something strange happens here everyday. I am sure that everyone reading this can safely say that almost everyday something strange happens to them. Sometimes these strange happenings are fun and interesting, sometimes they are just curious an odd, sometimes they are frustrating. I would like to relay three strange things that happened to me over the past three days.
1: On Saturday I played soccer with a guy I meet and some of his friends. It was a 7 vs 7 game and it was competitive soccer and a lot of fun. We played in the evening when it was a bit cooler but let's be honest here, it was still almost 90 degrees. Needless to say, after about an hour and a half we were all completely exhausted. To set up the main cultural difference let me explain that it was an all Iranian squad except for me. Many of the wives, girlfriends, and kids were at the field. They were not necessarily watching, some were playing badminton, others were playing with the kids, but after the game was over the women started making something and pouring drinks. I was all excited because I had not brought any water and was close to passing out from dehydration. What did we all drink from the cups they were pouring you ask? Was it Gatorade, water, juice, or some such nourishing refreshment. No. It was hot tea. There is nothing quite as satisfying when you are exhausted, sweating profusely, and dehydrated than a hot cup of tea.
2: My second strange event happened on Sunday while I was waiting at the bus stop. A man walked past me and rubbed the palm of his hand down the entire length of my arm. The guy did this in full stride and was down the street before I realized what had happened. I of course thought this was very odd. It didn't bother me. I had was of those laugh to yourself, what the hell just happened kind of moments. Less than two minutes later a completely different guy sidled up to me and started rubbing me all over. He was stroking down my arms and chest and back. This is very weird right? Now I know that in many different cultures touching means different things to different people. Many of the Nepalese and Bangladesh men walk around holding hands. They are very affectionate and always have their hands all over one another. Ok, fine. If I make a Nepalese or Bangladesh friend I will be cognizant of these differences but when some strange dude walks up to you on the street and starts groping you I believe that it is entirely acceptable to loudly and forceful say something to the effect of "get the hell away from me you freak". What I actually said, however, was "dude, stop touching me, you are freaking me out". He left. I initially thought he was patting me down to see if I was worth robbing but he only touched my arms, back, and chest. Casey thinks he was cursing me. I, upon further reflection, am convinced that he was trying to steal my mojo.
3: The third strange thing, which happened to me today, involves my bike. This bike has been trying to kill me for a few weeks now. Today as I was cruising along the road - a very busy road - my peddle fell off. Sweet!
Ben
Three Strange Things
8:59 PM
3 comments:
Dude, I've heard one of their Gods has legs as hairy as a gorilla. Figure it out. 90 degrees is cold is Malaysia whitey!! Hence, the hot tea. And seriously now, if this is what your demon bike is doing, what are you expecting again from a motorcycle? I think that heat has done cooked your brain.
It seems that Jamie figured out the hot tea mystery; and I have a possible explanation as to why the guys were putting their hands on you. I don't know if you remember the bouncer at 9-Ball who goes by the name of Ham (short for Abraham). He explained a similar problem he has when women can't seem to help themselves from hanging on and touching on him all the time. He claims it is not their fault they are just "feelin' his swerve". Perhaps this Sven persona has the same kind of effect on Maylaysian guys. Just a theory.
I hear you about the tea. I think you'll warm up to it so to speak- as long as it is extremely laced- with tons of sugar, of course.
When I read about that guy touching you- I could actually hear your voice laughing and saying 'dude- you're freaking me out' hahahahhaha
I can hardly wait for my own experiences when I'm there- desperation.....calls for extreme and bizarre measures
Post a Comment