strange new roommates

9:21 AM

Ok
When we came to Malaysia 2 years ago we arrived with absolutely no idea where we were going to stay. After a couple weeks of looking for short term rentals and discovering that anything less than 6 months was impossible to find we began to realize that we were going to have to spend 8 weeks in a hostel. This was not a very appealing prospect. At about the time this fact was sinking in a nice person offered us a room in her apartment. She was not particularly excited about having roommates but she understood our situation and decided to do us a huge favor. Well, now we are in a position to repay this debt. A couple from Korea just arrived and they have no place to stay. Now, I am not particularly excited about sharing my space with anyone but I can sympathize with their position and I feel obligated to do them a favor. So now we have roommates for the next 6 weeks-I promise to take a sneaky photo and post it for everyone. This couple is here for 6 weeks, then they head back to Korea for about a month, and then return to Malaysia for another 4-5 months. We have left the 4-5 month time period very ambiguous. We will see how the first 6 weeks go and then make a decision on whether to let them stay or not. They are very nice people but I haven't had a roommate for 10 years and sharing space may prove to be difficult. This morning, however, they got up, got ready, came downstairs and walked out of the apartment without saying anything. They headed into KL and I can only assume will be back sometime tonight. If they are that quiet and elusive then we may get along just fine. This is to say I will get along with them whether they will appreciate the following is another story. I wonder if they will appreciate my loud music, my constant state of half or more than half nakedness, the fact that our house is boring and I like to drill the soccer ball against the walls, my propensity to slip into teret's syndrome and make loud and unprovoked outbursts accompanied by random cursing, or Casey and my very healthy habit of bickering. I am pretty sure they are not going to like living here.
Ben

2 comments:

  1. prograham said...

    I think you should introduce them to fun games like "52 pick-up" and "slug-bug", music would be NIN, White Zombie, 2Pac, and put the fear in them by rubbing a balloon up and down your legs and arms thereby showing off your lightning powers. Oh and tell them included in the weekly rent is bike parts. That way you don't have to go to the store.

  2. Anonymous said...

    We never know what odd bit of news is going to be posted on Phatlaysia. It should be an interesting experience; you are both very nice people to take strangers into your home. I hope it all works out for everyone. It should at least provide you some good Karma for the jungle vacation.

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008