I have had my share of frustrations in Malaysia already. I'll give you all a few examples before I continue. Stacy and I bought two bicycles yesterday. I was so psyched. We are planning on buying a motorcycle soon but until that day comes we are on foot or taking taxis everywhere. The bikes allow us some mobility and will cut down our commute to school by 15 minutes. Casey is overjoyed because her bicycle has a basket on the front and in her romantic, anthropologist head there can be nothing more satisfying or perfect than riding a bicycle to the market and riding back with all of your locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables in the basket. I love having a bike. What I don't love is taking my first ride today down to the nearest internet cafe where I am currently sitting only to have the chain brake (not come loose but break in half) as soon as I get here. This means I get to walk the bike home, walk to and from school tomorrow, and probably walk back to the bike shop where I will most assuredly scrap with the owner. This is an example of a frustration I experienced today. I'll offer just a few more examples for all of you. I walk fairly fast. People in Malaysia walk painfully slow. I am able to slow myself down to a certain extent but not to the absurd, snails pace of Malaysians. I express this frustration to Casey when in crowded places and she always says to me "When in Rome". We attend a primarily Muslim university and there is an unwritten rule that men will wear pants while on campus. I don't love this rule but I do abide by it. Sometimes after a long and particularly sweaty walk I feel obliged to complain about how hot it is and how stupid it is that I can't wear shorts when it is 100 + and Casey will invariably respond "When in Rome". Those of you who know me well must be aware that I take this little saying with the utmost patience and really try to value the wisdom it imparts.
You all know the expression "When in Rome do as the Romans do" Well Malaysia has its own version of this saying and I would like to share it. "Masuk kandang kambing, mengembik" This translates to "Enter a goat pen, Bleat"
Need I say more.
Sven
When in Rome
2:38 PM
5 comments:
When in Montreal, wear long johns and still freeze to death. Shut up. I love you guys though...
Oh yes. We all know patience is Sven's biggest virtue, especially with nonsense. I'm surprised you're not offering to carry the little old ladies on your back? I think your bike needs tassles and a trucker silouette naked girl mudflap. I'll see what I can find stateside for you. Stacey needs a bow for her hair, if they allow that kind of thing there.
And where's my (swear?) word of the day dammit.
Hey Cousin, Just checked out your site, very cool. I admire your adventure. We are busy with the practice of law, I have a felony jury trial on monday after the superbowl, just lovely, I am rooting for your old hometown boys the Colts. I am at the office at 11:30 pm and it is cold here in wv about 10 degrees and about six inches of snow. When I was in Israel it was hot, evaporation cools the body, your body will acclimatize(sp) soon, just cut off all the sleeves on your shirts, get used to the pants, wear sandals, and I bet everyone moves slowly because it is soo frickin hot. A good saying I picked up there translated was "slowly, slowly" think about it and apply it to your life over there. Will look forward to seeing pictures later. Enjoy, I like your nicknames just don't fall into a career in porno because of them. All the best to you both, from your cousins in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia, Andy, Jen and Alex. Ps. Hope you are enjoying the fish, I had a homemade double cheeseburger with hand cut french fries today at a local restaurant that was DELICIOUS!
Visualize the frigid city of Montreal while sweating.
-Lisa
Post a Comment