Sven and I often pat ourselves on the back for snubbing our noses at cell phones. Somehow we feel like we are at least in one small way abstaining from the crazy, always on, always connected yet somehow completely disconnected world of all-consuming technology. And then, we find ourselves without easy internet access for a couple of days, walking miles in oppressive heat, moving from one spot to the next to the next all in search of an ever elusive wi-fi signal and we realize we are just as dependent and ensnared in the web of technology as all the rest. As we curse Malaysia's National University for being so ridiculously 'backwards' and ill-equipped, we realize that we have no idea how to do anything without the internet - not shop, not book hotel rooms or train tickets, look up phone numbers, bus schedules, etc. In fact, right now we are in the only internet cafe in town doing all these things and breathing a healthy sigh of relief, as if our lives were in the balance up until we arrived.
So all of this is to say that we have no internet and no idea when we will get it so please hang tight. We actually have lots of pictures of our new place (which by the way, is great) to post and plenty of stories to tell, especially of the travails and frustrations of living in a place that makes no sense most of the time (Sven, I am sure, will have much to say in this regard and will likely downgrade my 'great' to a moderate okay at best but hey, as I have been obnoxiously singing in his ear, we got to live, learn, and be happy!). But for now you will have to be satisfied with a quick post and for Brad and all you other curious folk, my Malay word of the week (day seems to ambitious right now).
This one is for Wyatt:
Duck = Itik
Sven here,There are a few "Malay mysteries" I woud like introduce. If anyone has any insight into these "mysteries" please comment. 1) Why are there no knives in Malaysia? I am serious. There are no knives in Malaysia - only forks and spoons and chopsticks. 2) Why are there no flat sheets in Malaysia? I am serious. There are no flat sheets in Malaysia - only fitted sheets. This means there is a sheet over the mattress but not a sheet to cover my sweaty, bare ass with. There are plenty of comforters available though which begs the question - why are there comforters for sale in Malaysia? Maybe a better question, however, would be Why do I not have air conditioning? 3) This is not really a Malay mystery but merely a question I would like to pose. Has anyone out there ever taken a class with little miss handraiser? How stupid did you feel? I can now sympathize.
Sven

5 comments:
Ben,
The conforters probably absorb sweat better than sheets, so try that on your ass!!! Uh, nevermind. Trying to look on the bright side. Speaking of, it snow a few inches here yesterday. I don't mind it. We haven't had a good snow in two years. Anyway, take care and keep in touch.
CUZ
After having some problems getting myself able able to post to this site, I will keep this short. I have a feeling that the answer to the fitted sheet mystery is hidden in the answer to the hose, ladel, bucket myster...
your friend prograham, was both politally incorrect and very close to the truth in is tsunami/knife explanation. The Tsunami did in fact wash away all the flat sheets from the beds, it was only the fitted sheets that remained snug and in place. That is why the merchants now sell only fitted sheets.
Hey girl!!! I can sympathize on your bedding problem. Although Rich hid all of the knives in the house. So we don't eat with them either!! Keep safe and we will see you soon!
I've taken several classes with "Little Miss Handraiser". Her input was always insightful, at least when spoken in English. Stacey, I think Dr. Moore wanted to grant you a Ph.D. solely based on your seminar comments.
Post a Comment