The Beach -Thailand

5:58 PM

March 6, 2008

Ben says I should post abo
ut Thailand. I don't really want to. There is not much to say. Its not like Cambodia either, which left me speechless but in a surreal, moving sort of way. Its just Thailand was basically a beach vacation and what can you really say about that.


We did spend one night in Bangkok (actually two but that is not how the song goes) and explored the city a bit. It was admittedly pretty unexciting for the two of us. The traffic was as stunningly awful and gridlocked as I expected but there was not that 'exciting markets and people overflowing into the streets, motorbikes and trickshaws taking over the sidewalks' craziness to it that would make it worth writing home about. It was just miserable, horrible traffic jams everywhere. Khao San Road (the world's stinky backpacker headquarters) was lined with guesthouses, cozy cafes where you could get your standard crunchy morning breakfast of granola, yogurt and coffee, massage parlors, cheap clothing and jewelry stalls but there was nothing outrageous. Nothing obvious anyway. Actually, many of the guesthouses on Khao San Road were nice. There was even a KFC! I don't know I expected to be shocked by Bangkok but it was pretty ho-hum. Of course, we did not venture too far and I am sure there is all kinds of trouble to be had, you just have to look for it.

We weren't looking for it though because all we were thinking of was The Beach. Literally, The Beach. We stayed four nights on Ko Phi Phi Don, the sister island to Ko Phi Phi Ley, the island where they filmed The Beach. Both Ko Phi Phi Don and Ley are supposed to be two of the most beautiful islands in Southern Thailand and they were pretty amazing. Ko Phi Phi Don has a reputation for being a lost paradise due to crazy beachfront development on its main bay but there are still quiet, secluded spots on the island and we managed to find one the best. Our resort was small, on its own private beach with the best coral reef the island had to offer. So needless to say, we did not do much but relax, float in the clear waters, snorkel, and relax. We took one snorkel trip to Ko Phi Phi Ley (which is a protected area so only daytrippers can visit) and The Beach but otherwise, we barely moved. It was a nice way to end our vacation.

Here are some pics of the Thailand leg of our trip. Run your mouse over them to see the full size picture. That is Ben in the hammock, he spent a lot of time in that red hammock.


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Oh wow---I'm the first to comment!I was making some phone calls and thought I'd just check in. The red hammock looked quite inviting. I'm glad you didn't let it go to waste, nephew. Again, I'm in awe of your photography, Casey. You and Ben need to put together a book--his writing and your photos--I think it would be a great combination provided you two could work together and still "feel the love!"
    Ben, you look amazing--no one would know at least from the pictures that you have had a stroke! (And Casey--your natural beauty shines through in all the pictures of you).
    Thanks for the update and Ben was right--we do need to see and hear about Thailand.
    Love--Aunt Beth

  2. Anonymous said...

    awesome pictures. glad you guys had a good time. the beatiful scenery makes philadelphia look pretty boring and it makes me pretty freaking jealous of your adventures. hope everything is well and you are still getting stronger, ben. all of you guys look great in the pictures...

    - gilbert

  3. Anonymous said...

    I would like to point out that I viewed this post before there were any comments on it, but I decided to refrain from commenting. I am now being berated for that. So, my comment is that y'all may be a little jaded from your travels - I think Thailand looks incredible!

    I also need to know when y'all are coming back to the US. I was about to put a package in the mail - Easter candy and books, of course, and then I thought y'all may be about done in Malaysia? Let me know...Love, Sara

  4. Anonymous said...

    i have not checked your blog in a while and I must admit that i am extremely impresssed by your ambition to improve your health and explore the world. I wish i had time to sit back and enjoy everything around and it makes me wonder am I taking anything for granted. Through your success and achievement to improve your well being it has taught me to sit back and enjoy all those around me. I am happy that you two are enjoying one another and most importantly becoming healthy.

    Inzi

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008