The Dedicated Caregivers

11:09 PM

Hey, how bout it? Two posts in two days (that's right don't miss the one below). The sad nerdy thing is, Ben and I spend more time than we like to admit talking about and planning our blog posts. So we always have an abundance of ideas and things we want to share but never the time to actually sit down and write it all out. For example, the last post I just gave up on finishing in the interest of getting something finally online for everyone to read. As far as we know, Allan did leave and Ben has cooled off. We even offered to rent a room to him for a month after talking to our Korean roomates. He declined and was probably left thinking 'the gall of them...'

Anyway, since it takes more time to write posts than think them up, ideas become quickly outdated, which is fine because many ideas are worth leaving behind anyway. Yet, the tidbits of news that they centered on can be quickly shared and that is the point of this potentially very disconnected post. So without further ado, here are some odds and ends from the past few weeks.

- The ambulance driver actually got lost on our way to the hospital. After spending several hours observing with horror the absolute lack of urgency on the part of everyone at the local hospital where Ben was first treated, I made the executive decision to take him to a private hospital in KL, where they had both the facilities and expertise to deal with an emergency if it were to occur. Still unsure if he was truly stable, I climbed into an ambulance with Ben and a nurse during rush hour and prayed for the best. Needless to say, the ride was scary as hell. I could not stop placing my hand beneath his nose to make sure he was still breathing and worrying at every bump that the clot in his brain would dislodge and he would start bleeding again (I now know that there was no reason to freak out but at the time, I had no idea). Well, no sooner do we arrive in KL and I start breathing easier when the driver starts to appear confused. He shuts the sirens off, makes a few uncertain turns and then, no joke, he pulls over alongside the road and gets out and asks for directions!!!

-We lost Ben's big pimpin' purple cane nearly the day after he got it. Yes, his three very dedicated caregivers managed to leave it in the back of a taxi cab and Ben is now pimp strolling with a bronze colored and rather sad looking cane. Joe those flames cannot come soon enough. He is also rockin' velcro shoes and is the proud owner of a heavy duty, industrial-looking wheelchair, which he is already requesting saddle bags for. He has gone from 'big pimpin' to 'geriatric gimpin'. Don't worry it is all temporary though. He will be ditching the wheelchair and cane before he even has a chance to break them in. The velcro shoes, on the other hand, well, its a style worth bringing back!

-Two of his dedicated caregivers also promptly ditched Ben the day after Big David left for home. That's right, the first chance Cindy and I had we left the SV in the hospital and went in search of some real fun (I mean seriously carting a guy in a wheelchair around really limits your fun options). So while Ben sat in the hospital alone, forgotten by the nurses and even his loved ones, Cindy and I had a blast playing with some super cool elephants. Check it out-

Don't worry every smile that day was dedicated to Ben, he was with us in spirit.

-We caregivers have discovered though that carting a guy around in a wheelchair is not always lame. For one, people are very helpful, sometimes even overly so. Between the constant advice - massage healed my dad, bury yourself in the sand at the beach, eat tons of peanuts, maybe someone put a curse on you, you should see a bomoh- and the potentially dangerous assistance in out of his wheelchair, Malaysians have proven themselves natural meddlers. Also, it means always having a lap in which to store things while you are out and about. Very handy, no?- Now handling the wheelchair is not always easy. Ben's dad certainly mastered this task, hurtling Ben over curbs, down dangerous busy KL streets, and even through the pouring rain. I have not faired so well, however. Although I managed to negotiate a gynormous hill with out spilling poor Ben onto the street, I promptly dumped him off a curb at the bottom. Some dude on crutches had to help me pull the wheelchair back up onto the sidewalk. I am getting better with practice I promise.

-Sven's two sense: Actually, my caregivers have been fantastic but some of the wheelchair incidents have freaked me out. So relieved to know that I will be out this thing in a week. There is something very discomforting about being hurtled through space without any control or notion of where you are going. Casey the speed freak, who once received three speeding tickets in two days, thinks its fun to zip around curves and come to screeching halts just before colliding with walls, people, and the like. There are handbrakes on this thing so maybe today I will take some control and start practicing some donuts.

Other than the stressful wheelchair journeys, I have few complaints really. In fact, it was with my strong encouragement that Casey and my mom went and spent the day with the elephants. I had to physically force Casey to leave, threatening to hold my breath until I popped another vessel if she did not go. My motivation was partly that I felt bad for my mom and Casey. I thought it was important that they had a little bit of fun and diversion. But I also wanted some peace and quiet and alone time with my team of nurses. Things worked out great. As you could see from the video Casey and my mom had a lot of fun with the elephants and I got a nap, a bath, and some food, no questions asked.

I am crushed about the loss of my purple pimp stick though. I am really not diggin' the bronze colored quad so I ordered another even sleaker purple pimp cane, which should arrive tomorrow. If I am gonna do this thing, I am doin' it right.

All right, until next time remember pimpin' ain't easy but it's necessary.
Later.

10 comments:

  1. prograham said...

    Hahahahhahahaha!

    Pimpin' is so damn necessary. I'm off to look at apartments but this was a great way to start the day. I love the picture in my head of poor Ben spilled out on a rainy sidewalk with apologetic Casey struggling with a wheelchair and a curb.

    Classic.

  2. Anonymous said...

    Benjamin,
    I strongly recall you trying to see how fast a wheelchair could go while I was in it some 15 years ago. Of course, it was in a hospital and not on a busy street, but I still think you are being paid back.
    I am very glad to hear that you will be out of the wheelchair soon. It is wonderful when you update your blog and we can see that things are progressing day by day.
    We still pray for you every single day and if you need anything that we can provide please let us know.

    Love,
    Sara

  3. Anonymous said...

    For the record, Google and I don't get along! It refuses my password every time, so I get a new one that works for one time, and then I'm refused. And yes, I right the d___
    thing down.
    So I will try again.
    I had forgotten that you had visited Sara after her adventure with a car, a huge tree that wouldn't budge, and pouring rain.
    Her leg was in a cast and a metal halo screwed into her head and you're playing speed demon with her wheelchair! Ahhh Casey, Ben definitely has some scary rides due him!:)
    I also remember that I couldn't drive our boat fast enough for you when you were riding the tube. You kept signalling with your hand for me to go faster, faster, and even faster. I believe 30mph was the limit with our motor and it wasn't fast enough for you. Uhhh folks, trust me---he was being whipped around plenty fast enough at 30mph.
    Go glad to read the updates. I imagine I speak for most when I say we just love hearing any little bit from you two, so don't feel like you have to wait until you have "earth-shattering" news!
    Also I agree that the bronze cane is too tame for you, Ben.
    Love---Aunt Beth

  4. Anonymous said...

    Oh wow, my students would love seeing that I wrote "right" for "write" ---I'm always on their cases about using the correct homonym.

  5. andyman said...

    Hey Guys,
    Great News! We are so pleased to hear of your progress and continued recovery. Nice to read about the well deserved digs and creature comforts. That is the one thing I missed the most in my travels was food that just tasted for lack of a better word " American". I am not trying to be arrogant or whatever but nothing beats our meat ! Hah hah..that sure came out funny..now that sounds sorta twisted also..what I am trying to say is in the U.S. our Cheeseburgers taste like well..cheeseburgers. And when you have one in a foreign country it just is off somehow..not bad just not real good. I am sure other travellers out there understand this longing for food that taste like what we are used to..So enjoy the grocery store and know whenever you guys get back we hope you will come visit your family in West Virginia and we will cook up some delicious BBQ ribs, or steaks or if you prefer a Walleye fish fry. I just remember when I got back I really appreciated our food..like last night I had a bowl of Life cereal..simple goodness and simply delicious. You can't get that in most places and you sure don't have hundreds of choices in the supermarket either like you do here. Appreciation is what I garnered most from travelling..appreciation for what is better and also for what is not so good about our country. Living somewhere else open ones eyes thats for sure. So in an attempt to encourage more blogs I ask..what have you guys been eating over there?..what do you shop for? ex. do you go down to the local market and pick up some monkey for your wok or do they deliver pizza to your door? what customs have you found cool that you plan on bringing back ... I found that hospitality in the U.S. is very lacking compared to other places..you guys have touched upon some interesting things..posing for pictures...being forthright..I want to hear more..like a day in the life with observations thrown in..along with updates..such as when you are going back to the shithole..sorry I called your house that but let's face it after staying where you are now that's what it is. Mabye Casey you could be diagnosed with PSTD ( Post Trauma Sven Disorder) and have to remain in medically necessary current lodgings. Seriously guys so glad Ben is getting better all the time. Keep up the Blogs..more days in the life and of course more monkeys. All the best, Andy
    Now I am going to try and post. This sucker was long and rambling and you guys should know a lot of posts went down the old crapper because once its gone and doesn't post nothing's gonna bring it back. I type once and then I am spent. I do recommend having a hammer handy when posting for it gives the technophobe a little edge on the machines because when faced with the absolute threat of complete and utter physical destruction these machines tend to shape up and do what I want them to which is post this ramblepost NOW.

  6. Anonymous said...

    Hey guys, Larry and Kasie here! We're glad your out of that F'ing hospital and doing it right with the flat screen and frozen pizza's. Stay confident dude, we're always thinging of you. Get that ass slapping hand back in action!

    L & K

  7. Anonymous said...

    Ben, I am glad to see that you are finally home and most importantly, progessing well. I truly believe that your good spirited nature will bring you out on top and functioning with your "A" game. I only wish you and Casey the best. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything. Keep it up!

    Inzi

  8. Anonymous said...

    Hey B & C:

    Phaedrus here....thought you might get a smile out of this....I've been my old self and now have 9 stitches (2 in my back paw, 7 in my newly lacerated ear) from getting into a a scuffle with Benny (Larry & Kasie's dog)....thought you wanted to know things don't change too much around here. They don't call me "nightmare" for nothin'. I cost Bruce $380....hahahaha. I also got a new cone shaped necklace that wraps around my head. It's somewhat tough to drink water and lick myself but I do look good!
    Please come home so I can see Nelly and Sable and you guys can read some Ayn Rand to me before bedtime. Missing you both.

    -Phaedrus

  9. Anonymous said...

    Ben,
    Heard about the news the other day from Drew- Heather and I give you both our best.

    Hang in there.

    -Kiely

  10. Anonymous said...

    Loved, loved, loved that video of you and Ben's mom on the elephant. Hilarious!!!

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008