7:06 PM

Yesterday I taught an SAT Math class. I have never claimed to be a math genius and there is a very good reason for that - I am not a math genius. I received a 600 on my math SAT. It is a respectable score but nothing to get very excited about. One of my students received a 650 on his SAT Math practice test. We already have a problem. Next problem - BIGGER problem - I have not seen this math in over a decade. EVEN BIGGER problem - the Princeton Review Malaysia Instructor Training consists of handing the trainer a manual (the same one the students receive) and a schedule (the same one the students receive). My boss did say good luck to me, I don't think she said that to the students, so at least I've got that going for me.

Lets recap. I am an ok math student. I have not seen an algebra or geometry problem in almost 14 years. One of my student's is stronger in math than I am. I received zero training or instruction.

Needless to say, my first class was not all that successful. In fact , when I got stumped myself I would call on the students to "QUIZ" them and see if they knew the answer or the quickest way to solve the problem. Fortunately my good student always knew the answer - I was able to bluff my way through the first class.

Despite my excellent bluffing skills, I was very embarrassed after my first class. I am determined to be a math guru by the next class so I actually spent several hours today reviewing algebra and geometry. I will not allow my student to be better at the subject I am trying to teach him. Jeff - hook me up with some math and teaching tips!!!

Lets see your algebra skillz!

Which of the following expressions is equivalent to ­­(3x3y2)3 ÷ 9x6y9

A) 1/3x-3y-7
B) y-4
C) x3y-3
D) 3x3y-3
E) 9x3y-3

A single die with six faces numbered 1 through 6 is thrown twice. If the numeral that faces upwards as the result of each throw is recorded, what is the probability that the sum of the two numbers is less than 10?

A) 5/6
B) 2/3
C) ½
D) 1/3
E) 1/6

If the sum of three consecutive odd integers is k, then, in terms of k, what is the greatest of the three integers?

A) k-6/3
B) k-3/3
C) k/3
D)k+3/3
E) k+9/3


I just watched Casey send a text message to the woman she met at the pool the other day. She could have just let the entire swimming lesson thing disappear but instead she has decided to reach out and remind the woman. She also just sent a text message to the person in charge of the dormitories asking if she could spend a month or two in a crappy, dirty, little dorm room with a bunch of 19 year old Malay girls. I always thought she was a little strange but she has completely flipped her lid.

She is also making me go watch the Men's Wimbledon Final tonight. It is televised at night here. I now have to sit for hours and listen to hear squeal every time Rafael Nadal appears on screen.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    It looks like things have taken a turn for the worse for you Ben; boring tennis, a job with difficult math, and Casey going to the dorms.

    I am sure that Jeff can give you some help with math and teaching skills, but arn't you overlooking where he can help you the most? BLUFFING!

  2. Anonymous said...

    What about your little math guru you have living with you? I only passed Geometry in HS because my teacher loved Stacey. I didn't even have to turn in my final!

  3. Ben and Casey said...

    Truth be told, I forget it all. I looked at some of the problems and laughed. It is scary how long it has been since I did geometry.

  4. Anonymous said...

    I finally just got back to reading your blog. I enjoy it immensely. Ben, I can relate to your incident with math. I got rusty on grammar after not teaching it for several years, and I had several students who didn't hesitate to correct me. There was a 8th grade Eng. teacher who drilled grammar into them. The other 8th grade teacher had them play Scrabble. Neither taught them to write!(your aunt)

  5. Anonymous said...

    I have lots to say on your blog. But I'm afraid I can't write a thing after this one because you have yet to write a comment on MINE!
    Be the first person to write on my blog....pleassssssse?
    I'm in the Arctic- this is what I look forward to. I think it will make me want to write more blogs...???

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008