9:37 PM

Hello to all our friends and family. Today, I finally have a legitimate excuse for the long delay between posts.

As many of you already know, Ben, young, healthy, fit, Ben, had a stroke this past Friday. He is stable, lucid, and already on the road to recovery. It was definitely the biggest scare of our lives and we now find ourselves on an unexpected, unbelievable, and unpredictable new course but with all your love and support and many positive reassurances from his doctor, we are fully prepared to take this day by day for as long as it takes. Thankfully, his progress towards recovery is already under way, with big gains every day. Indeed, every time I speak with the doctor his prognosis becomes better and better.

We are still not sure what caused the stroke and we probably never will know more than the fact that an infinite number of things conspired that day to make the most unbelievable of things happen. The ultimate catalyst was likely the fact that he was out running in the late morning heat (he collapsed mid-run with sudden paralysis in his left leg and arm), pushing himself harder than he should have but why Friday and not the many other days he ran three times as far, with less water - we will never know. We do know that the rest of the blood vessels in his brain are healthy, his heart is strong, his blood pressure is normal, and that all signs suggest that he won't be making a habit of this.

We also know that he is thinking clearly, has no speech slurring, memory loss, or anything of the sort - his 'mind' appears to be fine. His symptoms are physical only. As a consequence of the stroke, he immediately lost all feeling and control on the left side of his body. Good news is though he can already move his left leg, lifting it up, wiggling his toes, bending his knee. He can also grip his left hand, point his index finger, and move his thumb. The doctor says that this type of progress from the leg up on to his head is normal and that the rate at which he is recovering is phenomenal. In fact, he was given the green light to begin physiotherapy today, two days ahead of schedule.

We don't know, however, what this will entail in terms of time. He could recover completely in two weeks or it could take much longer. This is the big question mark. Either way we are feeling confident about what's to come and at least for me, the very fact that he is healthy, stable, and seemingly no longer in harms way is all that really matters.

The reason we do not know what to expect in the coming weeks is this - the problem is being caused by a blood clot which may be simply putting pressure on the neurons controlling his left limbs or may have caused some damage. It is just too early to tell. As far as I understand, the clot will be reabsorbed by the body in a natural process of cleaning up and as it does we will be able to see how things go. Thus far, of course, it does seem like there is no damage since with just the help of a steroid to reduce any additional swelling in the brain and two days time, he has already recovered a good deal of functioning. So we are staying positive and hopeful.

We are still in the hospital and will likely be here for another couple of weeks which is not all bad. Ben now has a TV, air conditioning, couch, and comfortable bed. Even better his parents are on their way and if we decide to stay in Malaysia are adamant that we allow them to buy us air conditioning for our home. Seriously, though, we are looking forward to their arrival and have been very lucky to have friends here in Malaysia who truly care. Their heartfelt support and concern, along with all the prayers, positive thoughts, and hopeful wishes we have been receiving from from home have made all the difference. I know it sounds crazy but for the past three days, I have been relying heavily on everyone's love to get us through this. That is partly why I am writing this post now. I am not writing to make everyone sad, there is no need for a pity party. Actually, it is the exact opposite, I am greedy for more healing power. You may be half way around the world but trust me, somehow every good thought, ounce of love and concern makes its way to us and is felt in a big way. I especially think that laughs, smiles, and loving vibes are extremely effective.

And just to reassure you all that Ben is still Ben. I caught him yelling at the nurses yesterday for waking him up -it seems that he is not just grumpy in the morning but anytime he is forced to wake up. All he keeps asking for is cigarettes and whisky. He has decided it was definitely the whole working and exercising thing that did this to him and in response has a new definition of healthy living, lots of cigarettes, whisky, vacationing, and pizza. And, yesterday he told me excitedly that "Christopher Reeves ain't got shit on me, I will be serving left-handed by next week. Just give me some stem cell fetuses and I will eat their heads. Really, I will bite their heads off". This ridiculous tirade meant to make me laugh had me both rolling on the floor and a little concerned he had actually gone insane. But he was being funny only. Apparently, he was referencing a South Park episode in which Christopher Reeves and others were wildly feasting on fetuses for their stem cells. So even his memory is quite intact. More seriously though, I watched him during his first physiotherapy session today and his utter confidence and determination were still there allowing him to do things with his arms and legs which just this morning seemed impossible. I told him it was funny how one of the things that contributed to his ending up here was the very thing that was going to ensure a successful and speedy recovery.

So that is my excuse for not writing and probably the best stimulus for comments ever. We are good though and will be great with all of you rooting for us.

I will post updates as they come.

With all our love and thanks,
B&C

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Casey, Your Blog has wonderful news!! He will be up and about in no time at all if this is any sign of things to come!! Post Ben's room number and address wo friends and family can send cards and such. All of us back in Jersey are thinking positive thoughts for you two! Love, MOM

  2. prograham said...

    Oh man. I don't read the blog for two months and this is the first thing I read!? I'm a horrible friend and God is punishing you two for your terrible taste in friends. Ben more so because, well, he's Ben.

    Hang in there homey, this is what happens when you push your body for 30 years apparently. I haven't worked out in ages and have been smoking like a chimney. Look at me, the picture of health!

    Seriously though, Casey's mom had a good idea about posting addy at hospital if Ben is there indef. Guess this means I finally have to send this care pack I've been sitting on. There's no nintendo, sorry.

    Hope you feel 100% Benny boy, and Casey thanks for taking care of gramps. I'll write more and be a dedicated reader again from now on! Swear! I'm off to develop pictures for a photo class I'm taking, maybe I'll send some out to you.

    Talk to you soon. Peace and Love S&S.

  3. Anonymous said...

    If positive thoughts and love have the power you believe, then Ben's full recovery is guarateed. You are an amazing couple and will make it through this stronger and closer than ever. Ben's Christopher Reeves joke has me laughing, and is the best sign that all will be the same with him. I am so glad you included that in your post. Ben is still the Ben we love.
    Boat loads of love and good wishes from FL.

  4. Anonymous said...

    I know this sounds crass, but I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a post containing scary news. The vision of Ben grouching at physical therapy and furtively founding the Church of Pizza will take me through the workweek.

    I'm happy beyond words to hear everything's on the up and up. Your post is every indication that you guys have all the love, support and sense of humor you need to get through this just fine. I'll be a nuisance and ship out good vibes anyway! And an 'I told you so' about the whole job thing.

  5. Anonymous said...

    We are all thinking of you and sending nothing but love and our best wishes.

  6. Anonymous said...

    There are lots of well wishes for Ben from Little Egg Harbor. I'm sure this is just a way for you two to find a way to appreciate each other even more than you did before. (if that is imaginable) Ben's health is certainly leading him toward a great recovery. We're sending prayers to you as well to make sure you keep together as you become his rock for the time being. You two are a good match for each other and we're sure you'll come through this fine. Be good!!! Ron, Anne, Kaley, Duncan, Guinness and ("?" (due in February)).

  7. Anonymous said...

    I sent two cards to your home address. I presume at some point my brother will end up there and get the mail. Or---maybe someone is already collecting your mail for you:) I've also emailed you, Casey now that my sister-in-law gave me the right address! Ben's family thanks you so much for keeping it together and being such a "rock" for Ben. Love to you both! from aunt in Ohio

  8. Anonymous said...

    Bruce here.....
    Benny....get well dude....eat lots of fetuses...feed those stem cells....Give me your address and I'll send you out a carton of Marlboro Reds asap.
    Easy skeezy....recovery will be a breeze for you, Ben. Keep the faith.
    Let me know if you guys need anything.

    -Bruiser

  9. ParentalUnits said...

    As your mom and I read this blog we laugh and cry all at the same time (Casey, amazing writing, so descriptive) You two are the best match ever and we will be forever thankful and grateful for you Casey and how you handled all of this. We are very anxious to get there. We're bringing fusion razor blades and old spice deoderant per Ben's request and Gummy Bears for Casey just because we love her. Ben, you have led us on a merry chase for 31 years, but this is the topper. We love you dearly and the thought of possibly losing you was just unbelievable. But any 7 year old (you) who could ride 150 miles along side his dad on a schwinn bike with no gears, in two days on the MS Bike tour so long ago, shows the kind of grit, determination that will see you through this. Your mom and I are now at our most vulnerable so if you ever wanted anything but didn't ask for it, believe me, now is the time

  10. Anonymous said...

    Casey your support and strength is helping you two both get through this more than you know. Ben your dogs give you two huge licks each, and I know that they know you will be on your way to a quick recovery. Keep up the hard work Ben, and dont' worry about SAT Math for a while...

  11. Anonymous said...

    Ben---Pay attention to what your dad said about their vulnerbility---I've never seen him so willing to spend money! I don't think I will ever forget the terror and horror in his voice when he called me.
    Actually, you and Casey could put a wish list on this blog and have a good chance of receiving those things from many of us who wish we could be there to help out. Hell of a way to get Christmas in July though!!! Ohio aunt

  12. prograham said...

    Guys, if you don't ask for the ferrari now I don't think you'll ever get it... I could watch it here in NY until you get back... ;)

  13. Anonymous said...

    Casey and Ben, my how we love you. Couldn't believe the news about Ben. Talk about crying and laughing at the same time, you did a fabulous job at writing a recap of the events. Just know our hearts and love are with you and I have been keeping you in my prayers daily as you have embarked on such an adventurous journey. And, now, you are facing an even tougher battle, but I know your love for each other will see you all the way through. Ben, keep up the good work and we will pray for a fast recovery. Love and hugs, Aunt Doris and Uncle Jim, Zorro and Cadey Dog

  14. Anonymous said...

    benjamin "sugar" hilliard, what in the world were you thinking? exercising? that's no fun. i can't tell you how scary of a read the blog was, but i don't doubt for a second that ben will make a full recovery. that's just his style. as other said before me, the good news is that he still has his incredible sense of humor and determination. if there is anything at all i can do to help in any way, please let me know. and i could use an address to send him the new b boys album so he can listen while he does his sessions. know that you guys will be in our prayers...

    gilbert

  15. Anonymous said...

    Ben/Casey,

    Gilf just sent us the news about Ben. Knowing Ben I am sure that he will recover quickly and be able to resume normal activity faster than anymore. I wish you two the best and I will continue to keep you in my prayers. Give my best and please keep us posted.

    Take Care,
    Inzi

  16. Anonymous said...

    We are praying for you contantly! We love you.

  17. Anonymous said...

    Sug. Get well soon my thoughts are with you and Casey. Let me know if there is anything i can do. Anything at all, man.....if the Gilf sends you the new beasties album, I promise not to rap it in your face! Keep us posted, ok?

    Pete Hall

  18. Anonymous said...

    Ben's Address is:
    767 Gleneagles Hospital
    282 & 286 Ampang
    50450 Kuala Lumpur
    Maylaysia

  19. Anonymous said...

    What is the thing between 282 and 286 in the address? Is it &?

  20. Anonymous said...

    Ok, duh, it stands for and.

  21. Anonymous said...

    benny,

    just got the news last night from bruiser. sorry to hear it but glad you're on the road to recovery. get better, brother.

    drew

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008