WTF

1:30 PM


This is a 1000 piece puzzle of Van Gogh's Sunflowers.

As I have mentioned earlier I have way too much free time. When you have lots of free time and live in the thriving metropolis of Bangi puzzles are not as lame as you might think. This is only the second jigsaw puzzle I have ever completed in my life and I honestly hope it is my last. I have obsessed over this thing for a week. I am not exaggerating. I was not able to walk away. Hours slipped past as I stared at a 1000 tiny little yellow, green, and brown pieces. I hated this puzzle but I did not study for my last exam because I was puzzling, I did not go to bed at a decent hour because I was puzzling, I was late everywhere I went because I got caught up puzzling. I was having puzzling dreams. It was terrible. But I did finally finish but there is one problem.





I'm Missing One Piece

Stupid Puzzle


Well at least the puzzle is finally off the obsession radar. Now I can turn my obsession back to my favorite pastime - KILLING ANTS! Our house has been overrun with ants. These little bastards are dominating everything. They come from out of nowhere. I'm just reading, watching a movie, or doing something that absolutely drives Stacy crazy - just sitting - when all of sudden there is a train of ants from the front door across the room into the kitchen straight to the sink or trash can. Let me train of thought here for a moment. If you live with someone that is very focused and has a problem with downtime let me offer a suggestion on how to drive them out of their mind. Sit in a chair and do nothing. Don't listen to music, watch tv, read a book, nap, or do anything of any sort. Just sit there. Stare off into space and spend some quality quiet time doing nothing. This may sound difficult but it is not. It just takes practice. Just sit and zone out. I love it. I need time everyday to just do absolutely nothing. This makes Stacy insane. She requires constant activity and does not understand the art of motionlessness. Try it - it will make your partner insane with confusion while you just space out.

Anyway, ants, ants , ants, and more ants. There is no stopping them. You kill 100's and sweep 100's out the door and before you know there are 100's more trailing here and there. They don't even find anything, they just invade for about an hour or two and then disappear. We are very good about always doing the dishes, never leaving food out, washing out and removing all recycling, taking the trash out regularly, but all to no avail. Cockroach traps, insect repellent plug-ins, insect repellent coils that burn, sprays - nothing works. There is no stopping them. This does not mean, however, that I can't spaz out and obsessively try and kill every ant I see. It is futile but I'll never stop.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Sven, we had ants in the new apartment and I mean ants. They never disappeared! We got this ant killer that they bring bak to the nest and were told not to kill any of them. It worked in a day. I haven't seen an ant for over a week now. Sometimes killing them yourself is just more satisfying though.
    Jamie

  2. prograham said...

    Dang, Jamie's plan sounds awesome, I think you should go for that! Get 'em where they breed. Congrats on the puzzle, you are now a more enriched human being. I can totally see how that would take it out of you and require a good week of doing nothing to recuperate. Speaking of not studying, I've done a fine job of that too as my music and java exam are tomorrow and tuesday. I'm thinking about trying to drive the teachers crazy by following your "do nothing" approach during the exam. Maybe they will crack and give me an A? Hmm, maybe I'm off to study.

  3. Anonymous said...

    Hey Guys, andy in west virginia logging in. I have enjoyed following your adventures and reading your posts. All is well here in, beautiful, sunny WV. Jen is pregnant due in December and Alex will be two the end of this month. The law practice is challenging but I am paying my bills and gaining valuable experience. Since this is the first time I have posted there are several things I have wanted to say. First and foremost, nice ride Ben, what make is it? One point that your cousins who have all riden motorcycles is this...Always wear boots while riding..not those green flipflops..One can go shirtless..shorts..whatever but never skimp on the footwear..it will save you.(leather or sturdy gloves are really important also)Ben in gloves, shorts and boots riding around Phatlaysia makes me want to seea picture ! your cousin Rick also told me to Never run over a snake they are like banana skins on the road and never swerve to miss a small animal..I mean try not to hit it but do not kill yourself trying to miss it. Dogs or whatever coming at you..slow down.they get close speed up..works every time..Bet you are loving the breeze on your motorcycle...Hope you both have gotten used to the heat...the body does get used to it (somewhat)
    The best killing device for ants is boiling water. Go send a Tsunami of boiling hellwater down on those pesky bastards. Also see if they have Terro over there thats the sweet stuff they take back to their nest and kills them all. Borneo looked beautiful and good thinking on how you got the boat ride back and saved your marriage. The jigsaw puzzle reminded me of Holland when my buddy and I went to the Van Gogh musuem we decided to split up and meet later at the Sunflowers painting. Well guess what... its displayed in New York ! Continue having good days and keep up the posts I really enjoy most of them.
    Later,
    Andy
    P.s Hot tea when your hot and it is hot outside takes some getting used to but after a while one finds it is good.

  4. Anonymous said...

    Shit- that was hilarious about the puzzle- puzzling....I think I am going to incorporate that into my vocab. I will use it at every opportunity over the next week and let you know how it goes over- I imagine in about a months time you will be in Bangi and everywhere you go- you will hear people saying puzzle-puzzle. You know- it worked when I resurrected 'douchebag'.

  5. Anonymous said...

    Hey guys! I've been plagued by ants during my few travels. They always come back, they are satan's minions brought there to annoy the hell out of you. In Tiwanaku last summer my friend Jonah got completely obsessed with killing the ants and put duct tape everywhere so that they'd walk on it and stick to it. It didn't get rid of all of them but it got quite a few and satisfied the sadist in him.

  6. Anonymous said...

    You two should have your own T.V. show. I would watch every week. You are both pretty funny, whether it is meant to be or not. Grandmom would be so proud of you flipping off those rotten little kids!!!

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008