Let's All Welcome Ben to the Old Man's Club

11:08 PM


Yeah, that's right it's my birthday and I am gonna own that club!

Today (May 1st) which is now almost yesterday here was Ben's birthday and for another year I am not the older woman! Ben's 31st was spent completing a four hour language exam, watching his crazy wife try to cook and bake for five hours (a debacle I promise to recount in a later post), a jog in the 90+ heat, and a, how do I say this, 'different' feast shared with our crazy neighbor and his friend, who, as I said before, happens to worship Ben. So all in all not such an exciting birthday but another one nonetheless with really nothing to worry about but the sunburn he might have gotten while riding his motorcycle and jogging today and once again scoring less than Stacy on today's exams.

As usual Ben had a lengthy wish list for his birthday, which he added to regularly for the weeks leading up to his birthday. We also have a deeply deprived bank account so it was a little difficult figuring out just what the perfect gift was this year. It was not a new TV (ours
blew up the other day), a DVD player, a new couch, new running shoes, or a.c.
No I settled on a new potted plant and hand grips for his bike that cost 3USD. Lame I know, but when you share a bank account your big dreams and wants are contradicted directly by the daily moans and groans about 'our severe lack of funds'. I am pretty sure Ben understands this himself but deep down he can't reconcile the two, leaving me to try for him. Hence the lame gifts. But as usual Ben was a great gift getter and I think he was surprised and excited. I think he was even genuinely thrilled with the stinky deodorant our neighbor bought him.

So the 31st birthday has come and gone for the two of us and I think we feel no older, no more responsible, determined, mature, etc. So does that mean we don't have to count it?

3 comments:

  1. prograham said...

    Happy birthday you old fart! Oh don't bring up the fact that I am older than both of you - the fact remains: you stink. I should have sent your package to you by now but I guess you just have to wait longer. I swear a burrito will make its way in there one way or another. Now, call me ungrateful, but Stacey you are living in a jungle and you got Sven... a plant? That bank account is in the double digits me thinks. Whatever, its all about the people you get to be around and Sven is lucky to have such good company! Wish I could bring some "Mecca Brew" to you and we could all party on.

    I'm wondering if Sven can do bigger jumps now that he has better grips...

  2. Anonymous said...

    Happy Birthday Ben. Haven't checked your blog for a while but I thought May 1st would be a good day to check. May babies are the best, to Hell with the rest.

  3. Anonymous said...

    Happy Happy Happy Birthday Ben!!! I just moved yesterday and I have been getting a care package together for the two of you- in which you will receive old spice deoderant- I promise- by the end of May (I know, I suck).
    I heard about the drinky drinky. Couple of amateurs you guys are right now. Don't worry, when I visit, I will be packing serious booze- duty free and regular.
    Hope you had a great day!

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008