Guess who Just Turned Old

10:53 PM

I guess last year I officially turned old but this year 30 became history and I am now an official thirty-something. So sad. I miss the good old days when birthdays were something you looked forward to. Remember when we used to count in half years even quarter years because we were so eager for our next birthday. Not anymore now they sneak up on us and take us by surprise, leaving us searching for a pause or slow motion button for fear the years are going by too fast. Man, I even sound like an old person don't I?

In truth, I do hate how quickly some years pass us by and new ones creep up without us realizing but I am definitely not old yet! I have a lot of living to do and I am excited about this next year because right now I am living my dream. Maybe even the pace of life here will help the next year to crawl by so I can really savor it. I have also not outgrown my enjoyment of celebrating my birthday. Who could get tired of having a day that is theirs? Not me!

So thank you everyone for all your birthday wishes. I had a great birthday. I even received a card in the mail from Mom on my actual birthday. And the best birthday present ever from Sven - tennis rackets! I have been dying to play and I had no idea that he knew how bad I was hoping for them. We also had a party (which I am going to leave to Sven to tell you about since he has the pictures to prove it). So all in all, my 31st birthday was not so bad. And I can deal with this getting older thing as long as it gives me an excuse to celebrate and I can still believably lie about my age. StB


For Casey's Hari Jadi we decided to have a small gathering with our fellow students and teachers. I must admit that I was a little hesitant about having a party. Casey wanted to have a potluck in the middle of the afternoon. Malays are very accommodating people and I felt that if we invited them (especially our teachers) they would feel obligated to come. I also felt asking/forcing our teachers to come in the middle of the day as well as bring food was a bit much. I try to be a scrooge whenever I get the opportunity. Casey persisted and we had the party. It was great. Everyone had fun and I learned a new trick. Invite people to your house in the middle of the day when you have obligations in the afternoon. This way the party has to end at a specific time and you don't have any stragglers hanging out at your house too long. Anyway, despite my efforts at sabotage we had the party and it was fantastic. Here are some pics.

Cikgu Fazli,Cikgo Syed, and our giant Norwegian friend Elin
Our very elusive and disturbingly quiet roommates made this banner for Casey
Yes, most Malays prefer to sit on the floor.
You don't know what you are going to miss until you find yourself in a new place. I miss old spice deodorant, Gillette fusion razor blades, burritos, bacon, and Turkey Sandwiches. I have not been able to locate the first four yet but for the potluck we went into the expat section of KL and bought turkey and pastrami subs. This is the first time in 2 months I have had a sandwich. I have missed lunch meat so badly but yesterday I got my grub on. Another one of the American students brought salsa and cheese dip. There wasn't a noodle or a grain of rice to be found. It was Awesome!

The woman giving the peace sign and the dude next to her are our new roommates.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    That thirty-"something" phrase will sound alot better to you in the future. Take if from a fifty-something. Looks like you had a nice party, and a good time.

  2. Anonymous said...

    Shit! I always think I'm so on top of things. Apparently, I'm so on top of things that I am four days ahead of 'special' occassions (of course, this never relays over to school though- on that I am years behind-haha). So sorry for getting your b-day day wrong. I seriously thought it was on the 10th.
    I'll try harder next year!
    xoxo
    Also, looks like the party was fabulous. (was there any beer involved?)

  3. prograham said...

    How did I miss this post? Happy birthday Stacey! Don't feel too old, I'm coming up on 32. The party looked fun! I don't about some of the shiek geeks but still everyone looks really nice. You should talk to some of the guys however about the dirty mustaches... SLEAZY!!! They should grow full handlebars and man up like me. hahahahahaha

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008