speech

10:21 AM

I had planned with this blog to relate a few anecdotes about our recent vacation. It was an exciting and a very full trip and there are definitely lots of stories to tell but life in the kampung, as usual, has taken some interesting turns that are worth sharing. Maybe next week I’ll blog about the vacation and take advantage of my extreme distance and tell colorful lies about Jeff and Nancy.

Before I start I should point out that Casey and I are indeed “the village idiots of Kampung Kuala Mai” and any confusion or misunderstandings are probably our fault. I would argue, however, that though I readily admit to being a village idiot, Malaysians operate very differently from me and what seems strange and inappropriate to us may be totally normal to them. Regardless, these confusions and misunderstandings definitely keep life interesting, keep us on our toes, and add an element of spontaneity to our lives.

Casey was visiting a friend the other day and in the course of conversation her friend casually mentioned that she was going to have a jamuan (a feast). Casey thought, well that’s nice and asked where the feast was going to be. “At your house, tomorrow” she replied. That was it. That was all the information Casey received and it would be impossible and inappropriate to ask for more. Information you and I might consider crucial like what time, how many people, what should we prepare, etc is apparently totally irrelevant. We woke up the next day wondering if we were going to have a feast or not. Since we don’t have any form of transportation and take full advantage of our obvious idiocy we made absolutely no preparations. In fact, we spent most of the day out of the house and arrived home around 5pm having quite forgotten about the feast. At about 5:30 people started arriving. They brought all the food, we borrowed plates from our neighbor, and sure enough we had a feast. It was fantastic.

During the feast, Casey mentioned that she would like to learn how to cook some traditional Malay dishes. In the same casual and offhanded way that the feast was mentioned some woman agreed that they would be happy to teach Casey a few recipes. Well, the next day those woman and their children showed up with bundles of ingredients and kitchen tools and cooked for about 4 hours after which we had another feast. Good thing we are total degenerates with nothing to do.

This casual way of making plans often leaves us scratching our heads. Almost everyday we shift gears from totally relaxed with nothing to do into a flurry of unexpected activity. This coupled with the Malaysian tendency to only tell a fraction of the details can lead to trouble.

Last week the head of the village asked if we would like to go visit a school in the nearby town. It sounded like it might be fun and since we really have no responsibilities at the moment - “sure, yes we would like to go visit a school in the nearby town”. A few days later he told us that we could visit the school on Friday morning. Ok. So far so good – on Friday we will get to go visit a school – great.

Well it turns out that visit a school really means that on Friday morning Casey and I will be guest speakers at a very large school. We will have to stand on stage in front of over 1000 high school students and deliver a motivational speech in Malay about the benefits of education and the benefits of learning English. Oh S*#>

I was freaking out. In less than 24 hour we have to give a motivational speech to over 1000 kids in a foreign language – not cool – especially since we were “tricked/told” (what’s the difference really) at the very last minute.

Casey, with a very uncharacteristic calm, was not phased at all. I was upset about being tricked/told while Casey seemed excited about the opportunity. She was excited that is until she saw that there were indeed 1000 students and she was actually expected to speak into a microphone in Malay.

It went surprisingly well. We each spoke for about 10 minutes and then answered questions. I’m sure we made a lot of mistakes but no one threw anything at us and after the assembly we had a massive photo session and were asked to sign autographs. Casey was embarrassed by the autograph requests but I thought – “finally, people are recognizing my awesomeness, and I signed away”.

I can only imagine what ridiculous thing will happen tomorrow.

Casey at the microphone motivating kids At least we got to sit during the question and answer session.


This is only half the auditorium - girls on one side/ boys on the other. There really were 1000 students

Kids leaving the auditorium. Don't they look motivated!

7 comments:

  1. Drew and Erin said...

    I love reading your words, both about the trip with family and the speech! Cant wait to see you in CO!
    Erin

  2. Anonymous said...

    That's awesome! I am sure that both of your speeches were fantastic!

  3. Anonymous said...

    Ben, After seeing how well Casey and you interact with the people in the village and the guides on our trip, I am sure your chance to talk to the students was great. It probably was for the best that you were "tricked" into doing it. sometimes when you have too much time to think about things you stress yourself out and you never do it. I would love to have been a fly on the wall!! Nancy

  4. Anonymous said...

    Nice to get an update from you guys. Even in the final countdown to home you guys are still having awesome adventures. What an adventure you had, what a life changing journey, what a quest. Boy am I proud of you both. It makes me cool just knowing you guys. Excellent decision going back to the village and hanging. I remember those days, enjoy them.
    It has been such a pleasure following your blog, the ups and downs, the life and (almost) death, the clash of the cultures, and of course the amazing descriptions of FOOD. What a time, revel in it. We hope to see you guys sometime, hopefully sooner if not later. Travel well and remember I70 which runs thru Denver runs right thru Wheeling and you, cousin and Casey are most welcome. As Needs arise opportunities develop...I can't wait to see what opportunities open up for you both. All the best! Andy, Jen, Alex, Mya and Sophia.
    P.s the girls are doing so well its scary...they are advanced seven month old premmies who are actually 10 months old and do not look like premmies in fact they are somewhat heavy suckers weighing in at almost 20 lbs when there "big" brother Alex who is three weighs just 27 lbs.
    Later, Andyman

  5. ParentalUnits said...

    Excuse the typos but I am using my Itouch which is slow typing. I will arrange for speaking tours at Littleton Public Schools, if you like. What opportunities you have had! Wow, it does show how important it is to get to understand the culture. So many opportunities await you both. Hey, there's a feast at your house in Littleton on August 9. We'll all show up and see what happens.

  6. C n' W Blog Factory said...

    This is freakin' HILARIOUS! Please motivate me, why is english so darn important? Pourquoi, je vous le demande?! :P

  7. Anonymous said...

    HOW did I miss all these blog postings?? I'm so sorry I didn't get to prod you about this one while you were in NY, Ben. This story is hilarious but completely typical of the adventures you and Casey share. I would totally have booked you for a speaking engagement here if I had thought of it.

    Good luck on the road trip!! I hope you guys keep blogging even here in the boring old US of A.

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008