May 22, 2008
Here is the video:
Here are some musings from my notebook.
Yesterday I moved, not just into a new house in a new place, but into a new culture. The surface differences are obvious and expected. It's the subtleties that I'm worried about, the problem with subtleties though is that they are so subtle - too subtle for a personality like mine. I am aware enough to realize that I am probably making or about to make both insignificant and massive cultural faux paus but I am not intuitive enough to know exactly when or what mistakes I am making. I'll leave that to the Anthropologist. I do know that if I remain flexible, willing, and curious and step outside my norms I will get to experience a whole new way of life. I also know that if I am friendly, appreciative, non-judgemental, and patient all of my cultural blunders will be forgiven - that of course is the challenge, remaining patient and ever friendly when I am exhausted both mentally and physically. I could fill pages with the details of the last 48 hours - just the move from KL to the present has been ripe with experience -I should keep pen and paper handy least I lose the flavor of this experience. Details are too cumbersome right now - I'll stick to themes. Such generosity: a furnished house, food, rides to the store, people sharing their time and limited resources, strangers buying me coffee - not even saying hello, just buying my coffee and leaving without saying a word, without even a nod. Friendliness: granted, I feel a bit like a toy at show and tell on occasion but that is just my projection. Rahimi and Saadia are just proud and excited and want to make us feel welcome and accepted. Everyone though, without exception is friendly, friendly like we've known each other for years. I don't know what it is, a lack of pretension, a lack of expectation, an unmatched acceptance, naivety? but people here embrace you and welcome you like family. Confusion: This will probably be a common theme throughout the next 2 months. I understand about 60% of the conversation. I understand even less of what is expected in social interactions. Fortunately after 1.5 years in Malaysia I am ok with that level of confusion. It's not that I don't care but I just don't care to care. It simply isn't important. I'm confused and that's ok. The other person is probably confused too. With Malaysians though that level of confusion is comfortable. They don't care to care either so we all get along just fine. I am a little concerned about reciprocity however. I don't have anything to offer except myself. My friendliness, curiosity, and immersion will only get me so far - eventually I'm going to have to contribute. Basic gifts of food and possibly teaching some English will pale in comparison to the embrace we have already received. Sensory Overload: There have been many occasions over the past 2 days when I just needed to stop, stand still, close my eyes, and take a deep breath. The sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and feel of this place are all new, many startling.....
OUR KAMPUNG HOUSE
4:18 PM
7 comments:
A post already! I am so glad to hear from you and know that things are well. Let us know if you have an address in the village where you can receive mail. I am not sure how or if that works there.
I am confident that you will contribute more than you know and the people will appreciate your gifts more than you can imagine.
I did find it interesting that you are striving for patience. Good luck with that.
Love,
Sara
So nice to hear you are in the village, and with 2 days you already have plenty to discuss and reflect upon.
Ben I must say that if Bill Bryson can write about a book about a "Walk in the Woods", I think you could easily publish "A walk in Malaysia". If you have a notebook full of little excerps like that I know I would be a buyer of the book.
Looking foward to my visit, the countdown to takeoff is on!
I guess I didn't realize you'd still be able to blog, so I haven't checked until tonight after Sara told me via email to do so. I read the last 3 and enjoyed each one. Way to go with treating your friends to fajitas! I've found it best to just go with your gut which was fajitas in the first place.
Such incredible experiences! How I envy you (in a good way) your gutsiness to go off and just "live fully" where-ever you land!
Loved the videos esp. the one of the house. That last room has me intriqued--it just looks so weird--almost what you'd expect in a particularly bad jail!
Serously, Ben--you must write a book. How cool that would be!
Love you both--I pray for your protection every day.
Aunt Beth
wow guys, your house is beautiful! Honestly, the porch is so nice, and the living room and bedroom look great! Obviously, I'm talking for campo (kampung) living! Now I understand the bathroom situation is a bit... tricky... Here's my suggestion though: you live in a tropical country (unlike Bolivia where everything freezes at night in the campo), can't you put your "shower bucket of water" outside in the sun and let it warm up?
It is so interesting to see your adventure. I love seeing it all. What an interesting house!
Mary
Its great to see your new house, what a phat pad! You are living large, and I heard that squat toilets are good for your colon, so you got that going for you. Im so excited to hear about your life there, and the adventures you encounter.
We`re in La Paz with your friends Claudine and Wes, trying to acclimate to 13,000 ft. If you think knowing 75% of the language keeps you confused, try knowing 10%,it keeps us on our toes. Miss you lots, and thinking of Colorado a lot too.
Erin
Phat pad, dudes. When do u come home? Can't wait. Big party at our house.
Get ready.
Bruce
Post a Comment