4/1/2008
I have been given the responsibility of providing a few updates on our comings and goings these past couple weeks. Don't worry we did not take any vacations. In fact, Ben and I have both been hard at work. I can't say either of us are too thrilled with the whole responsibility, long hours thing but its good for us and some days we even enjoy it. Although being working stiffs makes for pretty ho-hum blogging material, I have collected a few highlights for you all. Can you figure out which one is the April Fool's fib?
UPDATES
- Last week, I sent a letter to the family I stayed with in a village a few months ago mentioning that I would like to live there for two months. They called me the day they received the letter and told me they had already spoken to the head of the village and secured Ben and I a house to rent. They just wanted to know when we were coming and how long we would be staying. The answer, by the way, is May and for two months. We are very excited!
- Ben is officially done with his hospital visits. Both his PT and OT therapists deemed him fit for the real world.
-To ease back into the workaday world Ben has begun volunteering for the National Stroke Association. Every Monday and Wednesday he spends 7 hours at the center assisting the strokies (that is what they call them) with their PT exercises. He has taken to calling older Chinese women auntie and has a secret crush on Auntie Yap.
- Not ready to completely give up his quest for healing, Ben has gotten himself a Chinese guru doctor. He sees him twice a week and comes home wreaking of herbs and incense. He is currently taking 7 different herbal medications prescribed by this guru, one is actually called 'Leg Strong'. Ben says it makes him feel more 'balanced'.
- I have been very busy these past few weeks conducting interviews all around the city. I have learned a great deal about health. For instance, did you know that a former prime minister of India woke up every morning and drank his own urine. He lived to be 93 and credited his longevity to this practice. Don't worry the person who shared this health tip with me did not actually drink urine every morning, just a glass of warm water??
- The Nutrition Society of Malaysia held their annual conference in Kuala Lumpur this week. I was very interested in attending for research purposes but the registration fee was quite expensive. So I crashed the conference. I snuck in , ate the food, mingled and hung out for two days like a true bad ass.
Some Misc. TIDBITS
- Last weekend, we met our friend at an all-you-can-eat fried chicken buffet. After four hours, we were kindly asked to leave because we had exceeded our welcome.
- I was talking to one of the cleaning ladies at our condominium the other day and she whacked me alongside the head for no apparent reason. Hard!
- We have been suffering since we moved to Malaysia from serious backaches and lack of sleep due to the worst mattress in the world. We have complained and complained but done nothing about it. With only a few months left to go, we could take no more and went out and bought a very expensive mattress. It was worth it.
- I applied for a new passport at the US Embassy on the 13th of March and picked it up this morning.
- We are currently experiencing a brief monsoon season. Everyday at about 4PM it rains harder than I have ever witnessed. Of course, this past weekend I left our umbrella on a bench at the bus station.
- Our new favorite sport is badminton. And, yes it is a sport!
An April Fool's Challenge
10:37 PM
7 comments:
Got your passport in two weeks...April Fool's...Am I right? what do I win? could it be..a new car! No. could it be...a butt hair transplant so the one place that has hair would be placed where I really need it and want it. No. Darn. How about... could it be some fresh Yak Butter? No. darn I forgot that was for the last contest where one had to guess how many M & M's Ben could fit up his nose comfortably and was only good while Casey was on Mongolia.. so I give up. It was fun playing, glad you guys are well, great news re: Ben's fitness. I really cannot tell you guys how nice it is to view your posts and pictures( Drew & Erin's are pretty amazing too) while dealing with the drudgery of filing. It is uplifting, such as a "Manziere" might feel on my chest if I ever wore one which I haven't, seriously I never put it on I was just feeling the fabric for a friend. really, I can tell you don't believe me but my mom did this morning when I told her Jen was pregnant...the silence was golden...then the tagline...April Fool's. Pure enjoyment wishing you the same. Later Andyman.
Seriously if I did win in lieu of a prize just get me that cute big boned monkey's phone number so I can call him sometime and go BANANAS. Hope this post was amusing to you guys, it was for me, for if you don't keep yourself amused, who will?!
I did want to comment on what I also consider a sport...which is of course the game of Kings and Queens, BADMINTON. While the weather has been difficult I have maintained my form by practicing indoors daily from 6:oo p.m til 10:00 p.m. Jen says I interupt everyone's dinner, but we all know what is truly important. The broken light fixtures and holes in the walls together with the sheer look of terror on my children's faces when I pick up my racket for my evening ritual is bothersome. So I am looking forward to getting outside. In West Virginia we play (while some might consider cruel to us mountain men it is HILARIOUS)
MOTHMINTON all you need is an outside light, darkness, your rackets and the game comes to you.
Look forward to playing soon. Andyman
HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY
I was also guessing that the speedy passport was the joke. I was hoping, however, that it was either Ben taking seven supplements containing ingredients I can't fathom or the man drinking urine for breakfast.
I am thrilled about the progress you are making in your research and Ben is making in his recovery.
Keep us updated.
Love,
Sara
By the way, we are also experiencing monsoons in Tyler. Or we think we are. We're from Fort Worth. I have seen an entire year go by without rain. Apparently it rains a lot in East Texas. We don't understand that. We think it's cool, though. The locals, not so much.
Sara
I think it was buying the new mattress. I can't see you getting that into any backpack or on a plane to come home with. What do I win? I also thought Casey sneaking in to a conference was a bit of a stretch - if it is true she certainly is a bad ass!!!
I'm going to guess it's the chicken. Surely you could have used an "it's okay, it's okay" to stay longer than that. :)
Congratulations on the two-month village hook-up! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Unless that's the April Fools lie, in which case.... four hours???
The mattress is a good one. You're right, they couldn't bring it home and an expensive one? That makes no sense. Unless they are going to donate to a poor student in Malaysia out of kindness. That's not very bad-ass, though.
Post a Comment