January 18, 2008
We have been living in Malaysia for over a year now. A year is a long time. Apparently, a year is long enough to completely reset your cultural norms and standards as well as your expectations of what is and what isn't normal. This vacation has showed me that Malaysia, both the good and the bad, has become my normal. That is a bit disturbing when I start to digest what that really means. I guess normal is sweltering heat, filthy and confusing pub
lic toilets, a constant babble of foreign languages, and zero
personal space. "Normal"
I'm not sure if Malaysia has become my norm or if Australia was just that abnormal. You be the judge. Are the following pictures "normal"? I think not. Australia is a land of freakish, deadly animals and they are everywhere. We had to wear ridiculous blue stinger suits when we went snorkling at the great barrier reef because of the jellyfish. We were instructed not to pick up any of the coral because there is one type of coral that will sting you and send you into immediate cardiac arrest. We were forbidden from swimming in the ocean at the beaches up North because of the
deadly jellyfish that were currently saturating the ocean. The popular beaches around Sydney were all protected with shark nets to keep out sharks and jellyfish.
In addition to the constant reminder of the lurking deadly animals there were many other aspects of Australian life that were a "culture shock" to me. After our long, red eye flight from Malaysia, we arrived at our Sydney hotel a little to early to check in. "No Worries" (the Australian phrase I heard the most), next to the hotel was a nice little coffee shop and DELI!! Lunch meat is almost nonexistent in Malaysia. You cannot walk into a store or restaurant anywhere and order a turkey/cheese on wheat. There are no sandwich shops in Malaysia - the closest thing I have seen is ONE subway. Now I love Subway as much as the next guy - but come on - I want a monster dagwood. Over the months I have learned to live without, but to walk into the first store I came across and see piles and piles of delicious meat ( even that forbidden meat-ham) took me back. I then started to realize how much different the food was. So many choices and so many types of food I hadn't seen in ages. I got my burrito fix and Casey, to her delight, realized that Australia, like America but unlike Malaysia, had sweets and candies for every whim. We indulged, no fried rice or noodles for 2 weeks.
Another "culture shock" for me was the way people dress and the SKIN!! I am accustomed to seeing women with head scarves and very loose fitting, shapeless full length dresses. Many of the Chinese woman in Malaysia wear more revealing clothes but by more revealing I mean normal skirts and blouses. Only the young Chinese girls wear anything that could be dubbed "revealing". No one in Malaysia, except for the tourists, wears short skirts, short shorts, or tank tops. Even the men in Malaysia generally wear long pants with their shirts tucked in. The Australian, "normal" attire was anything but modest. I saw more cracks, bellies, and those "shocking" bare shoulders in one hour than I have in the past year. So much skin. Unfortunately, many of those who were baring it all should have taken a page from the Malaysian book. I was very aware of peoples body type in Australia. In Malaysia, where people are more covered up, you don't always get a sense of someones shape. In Australia, with hip huggers, tank tops, and tube tops very much in style you know very well what everyones body type is.
Other "culture shocks"
Australia is expensive - crazy expensive. I can eat out and eat out well, three meals a day in Malaysia for USD10. The cost of living in Malaysia is one of the easiest things to get used to.
Personal space. I felt like I had a bubble around me in Australia - no one bumps into you, no one cuts you off. Even in a crowded place people make a point of avoiding each other and respecting your space. People actually line up and wait their turn in Australia. I never had to jockey for position or protect my place in line. I loved Australia for this.
Australia is clean! The bathrooms are clean. The cities are clean. Malaysia is not overly dirty but it isn't even close to Australia clean.
Even though Malaysia has now become my "normal" and Australia provided some "culture shock", I'm sure that with the right motivation I could make Australia my "normal". All I would have to do is move there. What do you think? Is Australia next in line for the place I call home? Australia is an awesome place - here are some pictures to prove it - and they speak English there. Who knows!



Culture Shock
7:05 PM
5 comments:
Where do you plan to go after Malaysia? You were in Canada last, but I was thinking you were planning on the US after Malaysia, but do you know where? Or do y'all really have no idea where is next?
Australia sounds strikingly similar to America, but I can see how you may have overlooked that seeing as how it has been so long since you were here. There's a lot of sandwich meat, sweets and people wearing clothes they shouldn't. Plus, Britney's here. Do you know that Wednesday night she called a men's clothing store and had them open at 1:30am so she could shop? She went in, got naked, walked around the store and picked out a man's shirt and tie. She then put them on and left the store wearing only those two items. Seriously. There are pictures.
I could totally see you guys as Australians! Might be due to the only one Australian I know, but I have this idea Australia is like a giant relax place with lots of outdoors. Seems less frantic than Canada or the US. One bad thing about Australia though is that it's far far away from us!
As a parent, I'm imagining what is going through my brother and sister-in-law's heads about now.
And as a parent, I've got to ask---why not think in terms of USA normal? You don't have to live next door, but don't you think the same country could work?!
We have come to accept (maybe not yet embrace) that Ben and Casey's 'normal' is a little outside the envelope. We are always interested to see what they plan to put in place next, and where that will take them.
We truly believe they are not deliberately attempting to put as much distance between them and us as possible. They know that won't work as we are now very mobile also!
It's great to hear about your trip to Australia and I imagine your excitement for lunch meat was close to ours when we got to eat burgers in Malaysia! You should read In a Sunburned Country if you haven't yet because your animal descriptions remind me of Bill Bryson. We miss you two and we're looking forward to seeing you soon in Cambodia!
Erin
Post a Comment