My Turn

6:07 PM

Casey has written the last few blogs and today she informed me that it is now my turn - slow typing or not-to post. Now my entries will not have the cultural insights or anthropological leanings that Casey's do. My posts will not be as well written or as thorough as Casey's, but I promise you this - my posts will be shorter.

Since I do not have any cultural insights to share I will just mention some of the highlights of my day. Today has been a good day. Actually I have mostly good days now since everyday is a weekend for the unemployed. I started the day with some quality pool time. I think I impressed my fellow condo peeps with my masterful doggy paddle. The doggy paddle is definitely my best stroke although my breaststroke is coming along. My freestyle is quite spastic and when I attempt it Casey tries to rescue me thinking I am drowning. It is crucial that I improve my swimming quickly because in 3 months I will be chilllin' at the great barrier reef in Australia. I do not want to scare away all the cool marine life while attracting all the sharks with my spastic thrashing about.

After my masterful doggy paddling Casey and I were inspired to honor that swimming style with a visit to the SPCA. I was surprised the SPCA exists here considering the national opinion on dogs. People hate dogs here. Apparently there is a passage in the Quran that says something to the effect that you should not touch a wet dog. This has morphed itself into a national hatred and fear of dogs - at least among the Muslim population. The crazy Belgian woman who ran the SPCA informed us that of all the countries she has visited or lived in (many middle eastern countries included) Malaysia treats its dogs the worst. You will have to ask Casey, the Anthropologist, why that is as I am not qualified to provide cultural insights. We did not adopt a dog although it was very difficult for Casey to leave without every puppy there. She did, however, leave a donation and a promise to come back and volunteer. I am afraid that a new aspect of the CP will be spraying out dog cages at the local SPCA once a week. This actually will be fun although it will remind me how much I miss the two monsters I left at home.

A few days ago I spoke with a manager at the national institute of translation. This organization is the leading professional translation body in Malaysia and they have the contract for all government produced and sponsored works. This ranges from speeches, documents, tourist brochures, public service campaigns, etc. They are starting a project soon where they will be translating Malay works of literature into English. This will include classic and historical texts as well as contemporary literature. I speak passable Malay but I am no where near qualified to translate texts. I did, however, convince the director that I am qualified to edit the translations. Maybe it was my lack of practical experience or my unfamiliarity with the field but apparently I am perfect for the job. The job actually, is perfect for me. They email me the original and the translated texts. I edit the translation and email it back. It is very very part time and it pays well. I received my first assignment today.

You may have noticed from this and previous posts that my editing style has primarily consisted of spell check. I am not a big fan of proofreading or grammar. I tend to verbify words and I find punctuation irritating. From what I've seen, however, grammar will only be part of the assignment. Tone, voice, clarity, and flow are where they seem to really need help. It feels good that I be earning again and aint lazy no more. It be good to finaly get my work on!

The final highlight to my day will be some quality tv time. We only get the basic channels and English language programming is sparse. We do, however, get Identity and it is my new favorite. Casey has also been downloading Heroes and we have episode #3 for tonight.

We both had some traditional clothing made for the upcoming Hari Raya celebration. The clothes should be available tomorrow so I can honor the request for pictures of Casey - pictures of Casey in traditional garb.

And yes Greg, I get my eat on in front of those who are fasting. I carry a water bottle everywhere just in case I see someone who looks thirsty and might be comforted by the sight of me drinking.

By the way - OHIO STATE is 6-0. Another undefeated season, big ten championship, and shot at the national title. Booyah!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    Verbify?

    We got the last Ohio State game on TV here - that hardly ever happens! I trumped the Fighting Texas Aggies who were playing at the same time and got to watch the Buckeyes! It was nice. I was able to point out to Robert what a pass looks like and how some football teams can get more than four yards in a single play. I think he was facinated.

  2. ParentalUnits said...

    You make me laugh and brighten my day. There's a book here somewhere. And yes, OSU is doing great but will no doubt clutch at the end. It's the Rockies that are struttin their stuff. Sorry, Philly fans.

  3. Anonymous said...

    Ben, I am putting the funny check in your column.

  4. Anonymous said...

    I haven't read the blog for a while and just got all caught up! Wow! The two of you should write a book! You both explain things so well but in completely different ways!!! I am happy to hear everything is going well and by now you are done fasting!

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008