Dilema

11:42 PM

I have a dilemma. Most of you will read this post and tell me to “shut up”. I am fully prepared for a backlash because I know this doesn’t seem like much of a dilemma at all or at least it is a dilemma that I should consider myself lucky to have. So against my better judgment (I can already hear prograham telling me what he thinks of me and my dilemma and where I can take it) I am going to explain.


Should I work or not?

Malaysia is a very inexpensive place to live and Stacy is fairly well funded. I could theoretically not work while I live here. There are a lot of hours in a day but something tells me I could find plenty of ways to occupy my time. So why work? Why is there that annoying voice in my head that keeps telling me things I don’t want to hear. “Stop being idle and go find work. You have to work – think how bored you will be after the language classes are finished. If you get a job you will be able to afford more things like AC and travel”. Well this annoying voice has been telling me that it is very important that I find a job here in Malaysia. Why it thinks this is so important I do not know. Stacy on the other hand is telling me absolutely not to find a job. Ok, I know I should not be complaining. How many people are married to someone who tells them honestly that they should take advantage of their situation and not work. Stacy thinks I should spend my time volunteering. There are hundreds of exciting volunteer opportunities here ranging from meaningful work like human rights or environmental programs to just plain fun like scuba diving for save the reef foundations or volunteering at orangutan or elephant reserves. Now volunteering can always lead to employment and the experience you gain might be useful later but seriously, I think we all see that this sounds like playing not working. Volunteering your time and energy to a worthwhile cause sounds like an admirable thing to do but I am having a hard time justifying not working for a living. My understanding is that you work for a living – that is just how it goes. But lets flip the switch.

Does anyone really like to work? How many people get up and go to work and are truly psyched about it? Some sure, but most of us work because we have to. Most of us don’t even like our jobs very much. Some people have always known they want to be a doctor, a teacher, a fireman, an actor, etc. These people are passionate about what they do and can’t imagine doing anything else. I am always jealous of these people. How do they know? I guess it doesn’t bode well for me that when I was little I wanted to be a fire truck. That pretty much guarantees career disappointment. Well, I never became a fire truck. Instead I have had to find other ways of earning an income. That incidentally is how I view a job/career. Since I’m lacking that drive to be something specific I, like most of us, take jobs and search for employment so that I can earn an income. Sure, we take jobs that offer some sort of day to day satisfaction but how many of us really like our jobs. Most of us would spend our days doing something completely different if we did not have to earn money. So if you don’t need money why work? That very annoying little voice in my head keeps saying because. Nice answer. Because.

Well, that is my dilemma – should I work or not? To further complicate things I started looking into employment opportunities this week. I was just sort of sniffing around but I got myself into trouble and have been offered a job. I am actually in serious trouble because I think I accepted. It all hinges on this pesky little detail (work visa) but as I left the office the guy shook my hand and said “I look forward to working with you”. I may have to quit before I even start. It is a good job for a fantastic company and the experience I gain here would be invaluable in the future if I want to work in the future. At any other point in my life I would take the job and be psyched. I don’t know if it is the weather here, if the MaLAZYian way of life is infecting me, or if I have just become totally disillusioned, but truthfully I don’t think I ever want to work again - ever!

Poor Ben and his dilemma. I know, ok, I know. Everyone else gets up every day and goes to work. Stop complaining and either get up everyday and go to work also or don’t – but if you don’t at least have the decency not to talk about it. I wish I could overcome that whole morality thing and just steal from people. So much easier. I have, however, found some beach front property here in Malaysia. I am opening up this wonderful opportunity to any potential investors. Don’t delay – this once in a lifetime opportunity is for a limited time only – invest today - just send a check made out to cash to Ben in Bangi.

8 comments:

  1. ParentalUnits said...

    Ben, that annoying little voice is your father and mother speaking. Work is good. All should work. Don't listen to Stacey this time (I think we just got ourselves into trouble). I will follow up with a long e-mail to expound on this thought.

  2. prograham said...

    Hahahaha. Oh boy. I thought the post was funny until I read your parents' comment. D & C, I miss you guys.

    My opinion: Those of us who don't like our work, don't like it because it's interfering with doing what inspires us or at least figuring out what inspires us.

    So take this unique time and opportunity in your life to figure out what inspires you. Then go for it.

    The downside to this is usually you find what inspires you requires money in which case you have to go to work.

    So when this happens be sure to write down what it was you figured out inspires you so that in 30 years when you stop working you'll already know what lies within you and what will make you happy.

  3. Anonymous said...

    Work is ok. But not working is better.
    I mentioned to Stacy that this may be the only time during your life before retirement that you DON'T HAVE to work. Everything else after Malaysia will in all likeliness mean work. 40 hours a week. 48ish weeks a year. 30 more years. You do the math.
    Sit in your chair and stare off into space for while- you'll begin to see the possibilites.

  4. Anonymous said...

    Playing with monkeys is an option and you're considering something else?

  5. Anonymous said...

    Hey Bro!

    Take it from me, work is over-rated. Enjoy your time and take in your surroundings. It goes by all too fast. I hope all is well.

    Inz

  6. Anonymous said...

    Oh! I really want to see that long e-mail from your parents telling you to get a job! Ooh, that's fun! I also need an address so I can send care packages.

  7. Ben and Casey said...

    The long email from my parents was long and guess what it said - WORK!
    I have decided to go with the self sabotage technique. I sent my potential boss an email asking for a raise. He hasn't got back to me yet. I'm pretty sure I am going to ask for a raise before I start and then quit before I start. Very Professional

  8. Anonymous said...

    Excellent plan.

Cambodia Pics - Updated 3-3-2008