June 8, 2008
Some Bomoh’s specialize in traditional medicine. Some Bomoh’s specialize in Urut (massage). Some Bomoh’s can only discern the cause of a person’s ailment which ranges from the benign, like excess wind in the body, to the more serious, like a curse or a spirit inhabiting the body. Some Bomoh’s practice a darker art, casting spells, summoning spirits, and cursing people. The Bomoh (medicine man, traditional healer, witch doctor – all 3 are legitimate translations) is a very real part of Malaysian life. Most Malaysians, particularly those living in the kampung, believe in and respect the Bomoh’s ability.
As I mentioned, some Bomoh’s specialize in Urut (massage). This is not your typical day spa, aromatherapy, candlelit, relaxation massage. This is a bone twisting, nerve pulling, grit your teeth, and endure it as long as you can - experience. Every Malaysian I have ever met has told me that for my particular ailment I should seek Urut (massage). They swear by it and tell me that if I only had urut I would be running and jumping again in no time. I have been curious about urut and I have wanted to try it but as I learned in KL, real urut is only done by a Bomoh in the kampung.
Well, now I am in the kampung and there is a Bomoh who lives in the neighboring village.
Pak Cik is massaging an enormously fat man. He grimaces in pain at every touch but insists that the urut is sedap (delicious). Pak Cik is half Malay half Pakistani. He is a tall, big boned man, quite large by Malay standards with closely cropped white hair. He is friendly, engaging, and quick to laugh. He has very deeply set eyes which are difficult to read and interpret and though he may be smiling his wrinkled face gives me the impression of a grimace.
Four men, including myself, all wearing kain pekat (skirts) sit in plastic chairs around a very low table. Everyone smokes and I desperately crave one of Pak Cik’s roll your own. We laugh about the fat man’s belly, Rahimi wants to know how many months pregnant he is and Pak Cik teases that he has breasts like a woman. Casey, Saadia, and Pak Cik’s wife all sit behind us cross-legged on a mat on the floor. They listen to our conversation or have their own but almost never join ours.
The house is constructed of wood planks, 1x4’s for the walls, and corrugated tin for the roof. The floor is a laminant roll and although there are several windows they are always closed. Pictures of Mecca and gold lettered Arabic and gold symbols in frames make up the only decorations. Apart from the 4 plastic chairs, the low table, and a fold up floor mat, the room contains only a storage shelf, the contents hidden behind a sliding door.
This room occupies the front of the house and is elevated on stilts. The family quarters are hidden behind a curtain at the back of the room. I know that beyond the curtain you must step down a few feet into the main house. I have only caught glimpses inside this room but I imagine it is like most Malay homes, extremely sparse and possibly completely empty of furniture. Pak Cik has three children and I assume they are behind the curtain from the faint sound of the television.
I hear the Azan (call to prayer) from the nearby Mosque and I recognize the unique and surreal situation in which I find myself. Pak Cik is a Bomoh but he has spoiled all my romantic notions of what a Bomoh should be. There is no bone through his nose, he isn’t wearing a cow skull on his head. There is no incense burning and though he has chickens scratching around outside there are none hanging from the walls or caged inside wicker baskets awaiting sacrifice. No vials of blood, just oil. No torches or candles, just light bulbs. No dark and ominous feel, just a warm, friendly gathering. Pak Cik specializes in urut and he can check for spirits and curses though he will not, to the best of my understanding, conjure spirits or make curses. There are Bomoh’s who will however and maybe they live up to the stereotypical witch doctor image, accepting only small currency coupled with a black rooster and three hens.
Another incident last night further exposed the wistfulness of my romanticism, juxtaposed the modern with the traditional, and had me shaking my head both with regret at the loss of an exotic and exciting image and with embarrassment for giving credence to such an image. Pak Cik uses an egg to determine what ails the body; maybe it’s high cholesterol, maybe is excess wind, maybe a spirit or a curse. He takes the egg, holds it in his palm and recites some lines from the Koran over it. There is absolutely no reverence during this incantation. The men continue to talk quite loudly and pay absolutely no attention to what is going on around them. Pak Cik then slowly rolls the egg around the man’s body quietly speaking lines from the Koran, occasionally pausing and blowing gently on the egg. Again, no reverence, no Hollywood aura. Even if I had been trying to create that scene in my head it would have been shattered when with his free hand the Bomoh answered his cell phone.
Pak Cik then cracks open the egg and begins peeling away the shell and inspecting the inside. I lean forward - maybe there’s a pebble inside the shell, maybe the yolk is bloody, maybe it’s Black!! No such luck, the egg contains a yellow yolk and that same transparent liquid all eggs contain. Pak Cik rolls it around in his palm a while, inspects it, and then dumps it in a bowl. He squeezes the juice out of some special leaves, mixes it with the egg, says another incantation, and then wipes the mixture on the man’s enormous belly and back.
That’s it. He smokes a roll your own cigarette, chats with us for awhile, and then calls me over for my urut. Though my romantic image of a Bomoh has been shattered I am so glad I met Pak Cik. The experience itself is eye-opening and unique but my body also feels so much better. I have more flexibility than I did before, my level of discomfort is significantly less, and I am finally sleeping soundly again. Pak Cik is determined to help me. I have visited him 6 times and he wants me to continue to see him until I leave the kampung.


4 comments:
I wonder what he could do for fibromyalgia?!! He's a bit far for me to travel though----bummer!!Are the sessions really painful?
Did he tell what knowledge he found in the egg? Why are the wives there--curiousity, support, requirement?
What's your "take" on it, Casey?
I'm fasinated!
Tell us more!
Love---Aunt Beth
Ooh...that is awesome! I am so glad you got to experience the village before leaving Malaysia and I am so glad the massages are helping!
Nice Post, very interesting, you guys are really immersing yourself in the local culture, I have a feeling aside from all the cool places you have visited that your experience in the village is going to be the most memorable. Get off on trying the massage, if it feels good do it or mabye the better saying is if it makes you feel better after making you uncomfortable, do it. I know pictures of you getting massaged by an obese smiling man with a funky hat while you both are in dresses makes me a little uncomfortable, I'm glad Casey was there to make sure he didn't go too low and please tell me unlike Scots, malays do wear underwear under their dresses...i am sorry to be unsensitive I tried to go back to your main page to see what the proper malay name is for your blue skirt but I would of lost all this text so I did not. All in all I truly believe your rancho relaxo village time is going to really make a big imprint on your life. Enjoy it, because within a month of being stateside I bet that relaxed, unhurried lazy smile will be bitch-slapped off your faces real nestle quick. If you detect a little envy in my post please disregard work, unending domestic chores, an exhausted wife with a 3 year old plus 6 month old twins.(everybody is doing really great by the way)will really put a hankering on one for the serenity, the sleep, the free massages, the free eggs of village life. DIGRESSION(those chairs are the most comfortable chairs ever, i mean it ever the inventor of those chairs should get a damn Nobel prize for promoting peace and comfort for all who partake of their sweet, suspended, comfort...every dad out there get one now...why? because you deserve it, that right every Dad is entitled by Godgiven right to two things, the biggest piece of chicken(or whatever meat is being served)and a comfortable chair...Ben's chair is that chair...Do not question, do not hesitate just get the chair.OK, OK... take good care and be well. Andyman
PS.DISCLAIMER i DO NOT OWN ANY STOCK IN THOSE CHAIRS, I JUST HAVE ONE IT IS GREEN ONE FOAM PADDING ON THE ARMRESTS MADE BY THE FRENCH WHO DO KNOW HOW TO RELAX IT WAS MARKED 189.00 AT CABELAS AND BECAUSE THE BOX WAS SMASHED AND IT WAS THE LAST ONE I GOT IT FOR 99.99 BEST DECISION I HAVE MADE IN A LONG TIME I WILL BE SITTING IN ON FATHERS DAY AT LEAST FOR AS LONG AS MY WIFE LETS ME(REALITY CHECK)
Awesome post, Benny! What a cool experience. And your writing is incredible, especially the descriptions and colorful commentary. Just write the book will you? You´ve gone to Malaysia, had a stroke, survived a potentially life-threatening situation, recovered like a madman, and now are living in a crazy village where eggs are laid freshly on your doorstep every AM and also used in mystic healing rituals. And your writing is 10x more interesting than famed travel writers Theroux and Chatwin. If middle-aged housewives can move to Italy for a year and write best-selling books, so can you. I promise to buy the first copy.
Peace.
Drew
Post a Comment